Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Also, unless your name is Pedro Pablo Sacristán, that story isn't yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Also, unless your name is Pedro Pablo Sacristán, that story isn't yours.

I am Pedro ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Classic :D:D

Twenty minutes to go and I'm still 5-2 down! :(

• Advertisement

Twenty minutes to go and I'm still 5-2 down! :(

Well maybe if you apologize to me....

Well done, bluewolf:o

thank you kindly good sir! good story though! :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    thank you kindly good sir! good story though! :)

Thankew. I was getting worried no-one liked it… I enjoyed yours too.

Mine was the best in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You definitely write well but I read your story too late. Feels too much like a fragment too, though maybe that's what you were going for (I know the word limit doesn't help anyone in this regard).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I liked it, but I had to read it over a few times to actually kinda "get it".

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I liked it, but I had to read it over a few times to actually kinda "get it".

Thanks. Yeah, that happens with a few of my stories. I like puzzles. Hope it was worth the effort, though:)

Thanks. Yeah, that happens with a few of my stories. I like puzzles. Hope it was worth the effort, though:)

Ah it was more a case of getting my mind into the lingo they were using. The jist of it came across grand, but the finer points needed a re-read. I really liked it, but then read lil Wolfie's and suddenly wanted to buy the novel.

K brah's and brahittos, who's challenging the mighty Wolf next? :)

alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

An all-nighter, Permabear? Respect. :)

being able to sleep again is not helping the creative side of my brain :pac:

• Advertisement

okay this is really bad - sorry - just not working today!!!

"books and libraries"

Jake stepped into the dark, quiet library. There was no pretence at torchlight here; nobody who had access to this place needed light. He stood still for a moment, drinking in the pleasure of being so surrounded by these old tomes, these fonts of knowledge, the stillness. He had whiled away many hours here in peace, lost among the books. But he had work to do and urgent work at that. He knew the box had returned to their keeping, but he was not the only one ignorant of the plans for it. He was not sure if the whispered stories and myths of eternal night were true. He was not sure he wanted them to be true, despite his devotion. But on this matter, questions were not encouraged or even safe, so he must turn to research.

He gathered a small number of books, ones which seemed the most likely to set him on the right trail, and began to read from them. He met dead end after dead end. He’d known this knowledge would be kept hidden, secret, but this was frustrating. At last, a reference to a still-older codex looked promising. He retrieved it and stroked the cover gently with his fingertips. The name was long faded. He opened it and began to read.
    His expression changed as he reacted with gradual disbelief, fear, turning to horror. This book at last had what he was looking for, and he didn’t know if he would have preferred to stay ignorant.
    It seemed these stories might indeed be true. He would have to share this knowledge as soon as possible with a trusted few. What he read must not be allowed to happen. Worse, if he understood this correctly, some of these plans were already being set in motion.
    He looked up at a noise near the doorway. His eyes reflexively turned to black, but once he saw who it was, he recoiled in fear.
    "You – "
    The figure in the all-familiar black robes advanced inexorably.
    "Please – "
    "Books," said the newcomer at last, “can be a very dangerous thing, Jake. Fatal."
    Jake fell to the floor.
    A hidden listener might have heard a soft whisper of wind then; it may have been Jake’s final breath expelled from his body, or it may have been the shifting of the air as the other priest left the library, which was now missing a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

That was the hardest choice yet! But it came down to personal preference, I'd buy something like Permabears novel over bluewolfs other both are very intriguing and incredibly well-written :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has there been one reigning champion this whole time? I must read back over the thread...

Has there been one reigning champion this whole time? I must read back over the thread...

yes, look what you started!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

This thread was a great idea; I only wish I had the time to participate.

Strong round. Both pieces are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I don't know who to vote for, they're both so good. :o

oh lord 20 mins and a tie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spintendo

I went to thank Perma's story, but unfortunately I don't have enough posts! Two great efforts though, it must be said, and I'd like to challenge the victor.

• Advertisement

thanks again everyone :o:o:o:o

Advertisement