Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spintendo

bluewolf wrote: »
    thanks again everyone :o:o:o:o

Let's rumble champ!

Hopefully you're sick to the teeth of writing by now :D

Theme: A New Beginning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

spintendo wrote: »
    I went to thank Perma's story, but unfortunately I don't have enough posts! Two great efforts though, it must be said, and I'd like to challenge the victor.

"A New Beginning", like your account eh, Spintendo?

Antilles wrote: »
    "A New Beginning", like your account eh, Spintendo?

And also like my reign as champ ;)

Probably not though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sorry but after last time I'm a tad wary of accepting challenges from a new poster

sorry but after last time I'm a tad wary of accepting challenges from a new poster

Understandable but I'm legit, I posted something I wrote already in this forum. Received no critique though unfortunately.

You are the champion though, so I'd imagine you get the final say? If necessary I'll bide my time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Understandable but I'm legit, I posted something I wrote already in this forum. Received no critique though unfortunately.

You are the champion though, so I'd imagine you get the final say? If necessary I'll bide my time.

I am not home til late tomorrow so I will have a think about it and get back to you tomorrow

I am not home til late tomorrow so I will have a think about it and get back to you tomorrow

No worries either way. I'm on holidays at the moment so I have plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 beglopty

new theme: paranoia

Let's rumble champ!

Hopefully you're sick to the teeth of writing by now :D

Theme: A New Beginning :D

okay, a new beginning it is

dont expect much this time though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fanny Burney - clap, clap, clap :pac:

i cant believe i missed that one :pac:

I caught it first time. Unlucky.

okay, a new beginning it is

dont expect much this time though :pac:

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't contain a box! :D

He had seen Éabha recently, on a rare pleasant afternoon. The sun had seemed to favour her smiling face as she passed him, all bronze legs and white teeth. Hi. A moment's passing and she occupied his mind for the rest of the day. What a sad little man I am, he thought to himself.

She had always liked him, and he knew this. In fact it unnerved him. Why couldn't he chase her, with the rare hope of success, rather than be forced to address her expectations, and surely let her down? She had said he was funny, and another time had sent him a kiss with lipstick on a piece of paper in the library while studying for exams. All in jest, the lads said, but he knew the score. The spark between two people only they can know, even without a word being spoken. Afraid of rejection, he feigned a haughty disinterest, which served only to intensify her efforts.

Éabha entered the club laughing and vibrant, animated with the carefree joy typical of those still in the first flush of youth. He had imbued himself with a healthy dose of Carpe Diem earlier that evening. Catching sight of her, his heart fluttered cruelly. Stumbling about in his thoughts he remembered a quote about it being better to regret doing something than to regret not doing something, but forgot it just as soon. Encounters like this made him uncomfortable, perhaps because though a man in age, he saw himself yet as a boy.

Her happy, enticing eyes reeled him in and gave him confidence. He made her laugh, but soon the time for jokes seemed to pass, and her eyes seemed to seek something else from him. But what use was he to such a perfect creature as her, a bronze Goddess whose loving touch he could never hope to feel? He makes as if to touch her but is betrayed by his trembling hand. In a moment she senses his anxiety and his whole manhood is laid bare for her to see, ugly and meek and pathetic . She is suddenly repulsed and walks away, making some poor excuse as she goes. Dying a little inside, he felt himself a victim of some ruthless sixth sense possessed by women, as if, predator-like, she had just seen his weakness and torn him to shreds as a lion would a baby gazelle.

He goes to leave, but some abstract force stops him at the door and he turns around. Éabha is beautiful, but there are many other beautiful girls in this bar. He feels a new, hitherto dormant part of himself suddenly awakening, as natural and as beautiful as the day's dawning, and is emboldened like never before. Walking over to a brunette, he asks her for a light, giving her the smile of a man who's worries are few, and whose heart is light. Her mischievous eyes twinkle receptively as she turns to him, and all of a sudden he feels strong and self-assured, every vestige of boyhood discarded from him like a beggar's rags, and now he goes in search of more fitting dress with which to frame his manhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't contain a box! :D

A box... or THE BOX! DUn dun dunnnnnn! :D

Right lads, I am just in the door and this is not happening

Either I can post a story tomorrow evening or you can take this as my conceding :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I want to wait for the box. What say you spintendo? Oh and btw. Your phrase 'his whole manhood laid bare' stopped me in my tracks. He seemed like such a decent fellow up to that... :)

Right lads, I am just in the door and this is not happening

Either I can post a story tomorrow evening or you can take this as my conceding :)

I'd be happy enough to wait until tomorrow evening. I'd rather lose than win cheaply! :)
    Oryx wrote: »
    I want to wait for the box. What say you spintendo? Oh and btw. Your phrase 'his whole manhood laid bare' stopped me in my tracks. He seemed like such a decent fellow up to that... :)

:D

Yeah he has a bit of a wild side alright! :pac:

I'd be happy enough to wait until tomorrow evening. I'd rather lose than win cheaply! :)

That's the spirit sir, jolly good show :)

• Advertisement

okay thank you all for your patience, but i am going to have to step back from this for a while. it's been fun!
    :)

p.s. i promise the box novel will be started some time :pac:

Spintendo is champion on his 10th post!

Unless... another is brave enough to step up as challenger to the challenger... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'll challenge Spintendo. So - New Beginnings, or do I pick another theme for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

If one competitor doesn't post their story and the other does then the theme should stay the same for the next poster.

I'll challenge Spintendo. So - New Beginnings, or do I pick another theme for us?

Work away with A New Beginning

Grand, will write something in the morning. (Some day I'll challenge on here and get to pick my own theme :o )

Technically I would say there is no champion but spintendo is first challenger and the theme should stay. Spintendo vs. TMH for the open belt.

Bethany had not contacted her agent in eight years, and he hadn't tried to call her in five. Glory day tabloids littered her floor, and since she'd given up trying to clean them she would just kick her way through them to and from the gym, to and from the make-shift surgical theatre, a dusty trench. From time to time one of them would collapse to a new page or a new front cover and she would see her past smiling up from the gloss. She understood now how pretty she had been. Then she'd been just a stupid kid.

Bethany had shown her determination. She had been unsatisfied with the diets she'd been recommended by dietitians and nutritionists, so had developed her own. She worked out in the gym for three hours a day, to tone her muscles, not to develop them. Frail and vulnerable is sexy, but skinny and emaciated is repulsive. She had had her breasts augmented, her chin chiselled, her ears pulled back, her nose straightened, her tummy pulled in, her cheekbones raised and tightened, her lips enhanced, her buttocks and upper arms lifted. She was due her first botox injection.

Bethany had tried at first to avoid the tabloids, but she could not give them up, so every day she received newspapers and magazines through the mail. She saw the new girls on the scene, every one of them beautiful. She read over and over any story about herself, though they were rare these days. Most of them were unspeakably nasty, and those that were generous were preening and sarcastic. She'd show them, though. When she was ready she would show them all how great, how beautiful she could be. And she would have her new beginning soon. Soon. As soon as she was perfect.

Let the voting commence!:pac:

• Advertisement

:o

Advertisement