Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a new tenant

Options
  • 27-05-2011 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

This is my first time renting, sharing, and moving. I gave my month's notice.

I have read that its my responsibility to find a new tenant as im moving out. Thats ok, im going to make an add for the room.

My question is if no one takes the room, it's not my problem to sort out after the month is up?

It will be very hard to find someone to take the room. Its 300pm rent and 300 deposit.
    I had a problem with one of the housemates who dedided that she wasn't going to pay the bins as the refuse bill is due. She said she was going to ask the neighbour could we use their bins, just to save.

Who will want to share a place that has no refuse collection? Even if the housemate decided to cough up, who will want to pay 100 during the first week they move in? That's 700 when they move in. Seriously you can get a cheaper place and aften have bins included.

So its going to be tough to find someone, but i cant make someone move in. Basically its not my problem after a month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you at the end of your lease? If so, it's not your problem at all. If not, you are responsible for paying the rent until you either find someone to take over or your lease ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I had no lease contract. Would that make a difference? I thought if someone moved out the other tenants in the house are responsible for making up the rent. After all, why should someone pay and they aren't living there anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Does your housemate have a lease, and you are subletting from her, or do neither of you have a lease? There are different rules if you rent a room, or rent a house/ flat jointly with someone else, and have no lease (in which case it is automatically a Part 4 tenancy, and how much notice you need to give depends on how long you've been there).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

After all, why should someone pay and they aren't living there anymore?

If they signed a contract and they committed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I never signed a contract. Housemate doesn't have a lease either. Im not subletting from her. What does all this mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I never signed a contract. Housemate doesn't have a lease either. Im not subletting from her. What does all this mean?

are you saying the ll just let yall move in there without any lease or anything? that is odd, the lease protects their arsé as well as yours.

but as other people said, if there is no lease then it is a part 4 tenancy, and how much notice you must give before moving out depends on how long you have been living in the property. i don't know the details of that, but there are plenty of people on here who do so hopefully one of them will come on here with the information.

tbh though i have read your other threads on this housemate, and i think i would have slapped her by now nosy cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I am under the impression you just moved in from your other thread and there is no lease. It is not a fixed term or Part 4.
    As I understand it you could just pack your bags and leave now.
    I stand to be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

My limited understanding is that if you are there for more than 6 months you are automatically under a part 4 tenancy. In which case, if you were there for less than a year, you would be required to give 5 weeks notice.

The problem is if you are moving and your housemates aren't. If rooms are rented individually then it is the landlords responsibility. If you were jointly renting the whole house then your housemate would be responsible for the whole rent unless she also decided to move. I wouldn't consider it your responsibility to find a replacement but I would consider it the correct thing to do until you move out (I doubt you want somebody else showing a stranger around your room while you are still living there).

If your landlord wanted the added protection of a lease then he should have asked you to sign one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure, but couldn't you just demand the deposit, as there was no lease saying you must get a tenant when you leave...?

Advertisement