Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clane Health & Leisure

Options
  • 27-05-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I heard a rumour that Clane Health & Leisure is closing within the next few weeks. Does anyone know that this is true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hunterk

Lockster wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Clane Health & Leisure is closing within the next few weeks. Does anyone know that this is true?

hi there yes its true was in yesterday closing in two weeks

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

What? seriously? I love it there, and it's always jam packed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hunterk

same i go every day. looking at the mill in celbridge or kildare fitness in naas its part of the county council might be a safe option.

i was in the gym last night staff where in bits shock for them also

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

Yes, staff were brought in and told on Wednesday. Closing on the 10th June apparently. There had been rumours about it for quite a while but it's still a bit of a shock alright. They have no signs up about it though and even last night I saw a girl having an assessment and being shown around the equipment. Really hope she hadn't just joined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Just heard the same not too long ago. Well feck that anyways :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dee42

I know, what a shame. The staff there are lovely, I feel so sorry for them. It was a great facility to have in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Would be suprised if someone doesn't buy it and keep it running as a going concern?

Why is it closing? I'm assuming its in financial difficulties?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sunnymeade01

I joined in March 2011, I got a special offer €349 (what a joke) - This is false advertising

I have heard that I am due this back as it is not liquidation / receivership just closing the door because of costs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

what did you pay with?

if cc. start a charge back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Has anyone got written confirmation that it is actually closing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 nicky chick

Never got written confirmation but my son goes swimming lessons there and his instructor told him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

Hi all

I have been informed that the gym is to close on the 12th of June. I have no explanation as to why they are closing but the management are currently drafting a detailed letter to send to all members.
    hunterk wrote: »
    same i go every day. looking at the mill in celbridge or kildare fitness in naas its part of the county council might be a safe option.

i was in the gym last night staff where in bits shock for them also

Hi Hunterk, I work for K-Leisure in Naas. This facility is not operated by the KCC. The building were built by KCC but it is run for them by a private company called Kildare Sports and Leisure Facilities Ltd.

My advice to everyone effected by this is to look for a gym with a White Flag accreditation from ILAM. So far in Ireland no gym that currently holds a White Flag has closed down - so its a good indicator about where to spend your money.

For all interested in having a look at K-Leisure as an option your more than welcome to come down and try the facilities we have to offer. We have pay as you go rates as well as DD and annual payments. The special offer section of the website will be updated with new offers on the 1st June 2011 if you want to take a look there.

Thanks

Brian from K-Leisure

http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/ojauqlkfsnql/

"Meanwhile, 10 jobs have been lost with the closure of Clane Health and Leisure Centre in Co Kildare.

The gym is not going into liquidation or receivership.

Arrangements are already in place for those who have paid their membership in advance as the centre will close its doors on June 12."

Anyone know what these arrangements are? I've paid in advance but I haven't heard anything from them yet and no sign of any letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Seems strange to just close down if they are not going into liqudation. I guess it just isn't making money but they only recently put up a new website so I find it strange.

Will they sell the building or the GYM as a going concern I wonder?

I assume they are going to pay money back to members.

Hey all, K-Leisure have prepared a number of offers for members of Clane Health and Leisure.

If you want to have a look they are here on our website

With regards to the free access we will need you to fill in a form and we have to cross reference it to ensure you are a member before we can allow access.

A copy of the form is available here

Hi Grodge,

I'm one soon-to-be ex member of clane. Are you saying I can try your GYM for free with no commitments up to July 31st?

Also, does this in any way impact on my ability to get my remaining membership back from Clane, is this some sort of agreement between Clane and yourselves?

Thanks

Hi Grodge,

I'm one soon-to-be ex member of clane. Are you saying I can try your GYM for free with no commitments up to July 31st?

Also, does this in any way impact on my ability to get my remaining membership back from Clane, is this some sort of agreement between Clane and yourselves?

Thanks

If you are a direct debit membership then you will need to set up a direct debit with K-Leisure. We wont charge anything until the 1st of August. If you want to cancel the onus is on you to let K-Leisure know before the end of July otherwise your DD will start and we will take payment for August.

If you are an annual member, you can join up on our annual rates and get your months remaining in Clane added to your membership. If you get a refund from Clane for your remaining months, or you have no months left then we have a special rate of €400 for the year.

This is just a gesture of goodwill on K-Leisure's part that we will honour your paid memberships. Times are still tough out there after all.

In my opinion (not of K-Leisure) its up to everyone to assess what's available to them and to work out the best deal that suits them. Its a shame to see any business close down, I would have loved the opportunity to possibly bring K-Leisure to Clane, but that's not an option at this late stage.

Any questions just ask.

Brian
    K-Leisure Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

grodge wrote: »
    If you are a direct debit membership then you will need to set up a direct debit with K-Leisure. We wont charge anything until the 1st of August. If you want to cancel the onus is on you to let K-Leisure know before the end of July otherwise your DD will start and we will take payment for August.

If you are an annual member, you can join up on our annual rates and get your months remaining in Clane added to your membership. If you get a refund from Clane for your remaining months, or you have no months left then we have a special rate of €400 for the year.

This is just a gesture of goodwill on K-Leisure's part that we will honour your paid memberships. Times are still tough out there after all.

In my opinion (not of K-Leisure) its up to everyone to assess what's available to them and to work out the best deal that suits them. Its a shame to see any business close down, I would have loved the opportunity to possibly bring K-Leisure to Clane, but that's not an option at this late stage.

Any questions just ask.

Brian
    K-Leisure Naas

Hey Brian,

I too an too am a member of Clane Health & Leisure. My membership runs out the 1st week in August with them, as I had always paid up front.
    Can I also avail of the free membership until the end of July?

Rgds,

Ronan

Sounds good, I pay upfront by credit card so I guess there is no problem doing the same in k-leisure?

Thanks

grodge wrote: »
    , I would have loved the opportunity to possibly bring K-Leisure to Clane, but that's not an option at this late stage.

Do you know what is happening anyways? Is it just closing? I thought it would be taken over by some as a going concern given that its has a pool etc and is not going to be easily converted into some other business.

• Advertisement

Do you know what is happening anyways? Is it just closing? I thought it would be taken over by some as a going concern given that its has a pool etc and is not going to be easily converted into some other business.

I have no idea what is happening. Just closing down as far as I know. I do know that a pool has to be decommissioned and its possible for that to cost close to 10k. As I said its a shame
    Sounds good, I pay upfront by credit card so I guess there is no problem doing the same in k-leisure?

Thanks

No problem at all, we accept all credit cards and laser
    ronaneire wrote: »
    Hey Brian,

I too an too am a member of Clane Health & Leisure. My membership runs out the 1st week in August with them, as I had always paid up front.
    Can I also avail of the free membership until the end of July?

Rgds,

Ronan

You can Ronan, just come into K-Leisure and fill in some forms and you have accesss for free until 31st of July when all these 'clane offers' expire

any news on the staff getting a job in another gym?

Trampas wrote: »
    any news on the staff getting a job in another gym?

I havent heard but I know Stephen is signed up for a year membership in K-Leisure over in Naas.

Hope everyone gets sorted quickly. I heard there were some good instructors in Clane gym

K-Leisure not take on 1 or 2 since they are looking for members?

Trampas wrote: »
    K-Leisure not take on 1 or 2 since they are looking for members?

At the moment we have no requirement for new instructors as we have a full team but we will happily accept CV's from anyone who wishes to submit them. They will be kept on file for future requirements

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/footwear/2250373

I see the auction is happening anyway. Sad to see the place end up like this. It was a great facility while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

A great loss to the community.

Has anyone any experience of the Leisure Centre in the Westgrove hotel in Clane? The facilities look good on their website.
    Is it worth trying?

I found their membership rates here:
    http://www.westgrovehotel.com/leisure-club-rates

maguffin

The Westgrove is fine for a hotel gym but otherwise I found it to be quite small. Having said that, any time I've ever been in there, it's been pretty quiet and I never had to wait for a machine or anything. They have a very nice pool area and the spa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GilltownJoe

Has anyone managed to get a refund. I am taking legal action out of principal as I feel members have been treated so badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Claonadh1 wrote: »
    The Westgrove is fine for a hotel gym but otherwise I found it to be quite small. Having said that, any time I've ever been in there, it's been pretty quiet and I never had to wait for a machine or anything. They have a very nice pool area and the spa too.

I was a member of the westgrove, didn't renew this year -- they seem quite good but I reckon the westgrove in general is in trouble, so I wouldn't go buying a year's membership there just now.

Advertisement