Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco online rip off

• 27-05-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Sorry but have to take post down for a while untill matter is resolved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

See this is why I don't use Tesco online! I'm a single mother and don't have a car so the weekly shop can be an ordeal.

I never trusted tesco online...call me anal, but I purchase a lot of fresh fruit and veg and I prefer picking them myself, I don't trust another shopper. The website can be really difficult to manuever the first few times and when you are shopping on a budget I don't trust a randomer to make subsitutions for me.

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

I completely agree with OP, I ordered a week's shopping from them a couple of weeks ago and when I got the delivery, there was an extra ten euro for substituted items. 3 items to be exact. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

I dont have a problem with the fruit, veg and meat that is picked for me, its always perfect.... its the overcharge that has bowled me over. Sambora do you mind telling me what part of the country you are in? Or is it the same Galway shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

hacked wrote: »
    See this is why I don't use Tesco online! I'm a single mother and don't have a car so the weekly shop can be an ordeal.

I never trusted tesco online...call me anal, but I purchase a lot of fresh fruit and veg and I prefer picking them myself, I don't trust another shopper. The website can be really difficult to manuever the first few times and when you are shopping on a budget I don't trust a randomer to make subsitutions for me.

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy! :)

this is me too. i am very anal about my fruit, veg, any fresh product to be completely honest with you. the only person i would trust to choose it for me would be my mother because she holds the same standards as me. she knows how much fat i like on my meat, she knows how green i like my bananas, how firm i like my pears etc. i cannot bear the thought of allowing some stranger to pick my fresh items for me.

if i was buying a load of bulky, long life items, or detergents or the like then yes i possibly would consider doing an online shop to save myself the hassle. but after reading the op's post will check any receipt carefully if there has been substitutions in future

hdowney wrote: »
    this is me too. i am very anal about my fruit, veg, any fresh product to be completely honest with you. the only person i would trust to choose it for me would be my mother because she holds the same standards as me. she knows how much fat i like on my meat, she knows how green i like my bananas, how firm i like my pears etc. i cannot bear the thought of allowing some stranger to pick my fresh items for me.

if i was buying a load of bulky, long life items, or detergents or the like then yes i possibly would consider doing an online shop to save myself the hassle. but after reading the op's post will check any receipt carefully if there has been substitutions in future

It's mainly because of the country we live in. Fruit and veg are shipped from all of the world. Had a lot of bad experiences with fresh produce in Tesco either being sold bad or going off way too early. Be wary of Tesco meat also....their red meat has been going bad days before it should for months now, and I had chicken go bad the day before its sell by date also. Fortunately they are fantastic with returns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

....their red meat has been going bad days before it should for months now, .
    If its fillet / striploin or sirloin, take it out of the pack, leave on a plate for a couple of weeks in the fridge til it has gone almost brown, take it out of the fridge and leave at room temp for about 2 hours, then cook it.

You'll find it hard to have a better tasting bit of meat.:D Just ask any decent chef and they'll confirm this.

maxer68 wrote: »
    If its fillet / striploin or sirloin, take it out of the pack, leave on a plate for a couple of weeks in the fridge til it has gone almost brown, take it out of the fridge and leave at room temp for about 2 hours, then cook it.

You'll find it hard to have a better tasting bit of meat.:D Just ask any decent chef and they'll confirm this.

mmmm always tasty! Unfortunately not, just the type that goes brown and smells like rotting meat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

mmmm always tasty! Unfortunately not, just the type that goes brown and smells like rotting meat :(

yep - and just right for cooking, (sounds disgusting, but once its good red meat, it tastes great) though I'd always get meat form a local butcher where its being hung properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stick to the topic at hand please.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

sambora wrote: »
    I completely agree with OP, I ordered a week's shopping from them a couple of weeks ago and when I got the delivery, there was an extra ten euro for substituted items. 3 items to be exact. Absolutely ridiculous.

I use Tesco online groceries a lot, and I have to say, any time anything is substituted, the delivery guy asks me to review the substitutions before signing. If I don't like what they've substituted (or if I thought it was too expensive), I just hand it back, and the money is refunded within a day. Occasionally the substitutions can be a bit weird, but 99% of the time I'm fine with what they've given me.

I've also had a situation where I discovered after the delivery guy had gone that something was wrong (a broken egg, for example). I just rang the number on the sheet, and they refunded the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can't find it now, but on the receipt they give you it says something like 'if the substitute costs more than 50c more than the item you wanted you get it for free'

Call the 0080000 ...... number and get your stuff for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I can't find it now, but on the receipt they give you it says something like 'if the substitute costs more than 50c more than the item you wanted you get it for free'

Call the 0080000 ...... number and get your stuff for free.

I'm getting my groceries delivered for a year or so and never saw that. I guess, I have a close look on the receipt when I get my weekly shopping next Tuesday.

Thanks for the hint :cool:

Advertisement