Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anchovy Substitute

Options
  • 27-05-2011 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a recipe that calls for anchovies... I'm wondering could I replace with capers for the salty flavour?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Hmmm you could just add the salt itself? I can't really remember what capers taste like. Am not sure what vegetarian items are especially salty. Maybe olives? They have a distinct flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hmm - i'm not sure if olives will go with the rest of the flavours in the dish.

Here is the recipe in question - http://hotcooking.co.uk/recipes/28/jamie-oliver-30-minute-meals-summer-veg-lasagne

Thanks for any help.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Hey Tri.

I'm sorry but I doubt you'll find a good anchovy substitute. It's not just the salt but the seafood flavour is pretty strong. Capers are very different really are not really nearly as salty. The only vegetarian ingredient I can think of that would be as salty would be soy sauce, which obviously wouldn't be an appropriate substitute.

If it's just the salt you want then I would simply add more salt, although I'm sorry to say that this recipe might just be a no go for a vegan or vegetarian. I hope someone else comes with better advice though. :)

Hey Tri.

I'm sorry but I doubt you'll find a good anchovy substitute. It's not just the salt but the seafood flavour is pretty strong. Capers are very different really are not really nearly as salty. The only vegetarian ingredient I can think of that would be as salty would be soy sauce, which obviously wouldn't be an appropriate substitute.

If it's just the salt you want then I would simply add more salt, although I'm sorry to say that this recipe might just be a no go for a vegan or vegetarian. I hope someone else comes with better advice though. :)

Oh no, really? Boll-ocks. I had my heart set on this dish... :( Thanks for your reply though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Hey again Tri

Found a chat forum where people were discussing it, but I think posting a link is against boards rules.

People mentioned, soy sauce, capers, kalamata olives, seaweed (smoked dulse, and nori strips) and blond miso.

Although it seems less intuitive because they're more Eastern ingredients, I'd go with either the seaweed or miso, because I don't think that either the capers or the olives would give the dish the depth of flavour that you would get from the anchovies. (I don't think I've tried blond miso though, so I'm just going on others advice.)

• Advertisement

Ah - shag this.:pac:

I think i'm going to shelve that recipe for this one http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/08/summer-vegetable-lasagna-with-blue.html

And now for the next issue.... I am a coeliac. ha ha. I know- how awkward can you get. This recipe calls for 'fresh' pasta sheets but i'll be using dried coeliac sheets. Coeliac pasta cooks much quicker than normal pasta. Will this go into a soggy mush do you reckon... Would it be better to use double the sheets for each layer?

Advertisement