Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A thought for all the Farmers.

• 27-05-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hello there from sunny Oz everyone .
    Now I'm not a usual poster in this section but I've been working on a farm here for the last three months and I just thought I would give the poor irish farmers an insight into how these great Ozzy lads go about their farm work ;)
    So , a quick background on me first . I am no farming expert!!
    I grew up on a small farm in Galway and you know how it goes , sheep jumping walls , a bad crush for a few bony fresians and all the glitz and glamour that goes with the small farming life . The old man is still there struggling away these days and some day I'd love to get back to it and carry on the tradition !
    So anyway , things go tit's up at home in the buildings and I end up out here trying to make a go of something new and so this story begins.
    I got a job on a 5000 acre sheep farm in New South Wales where the farmer (for want of a better word) runs 5000 ewes . So in the first few days I got the background of how he got set up .
    His dad retired and gave him the land ,quads , motorbikes ,dogs and all the machinery you could think of and left him a well kept flock of top grade Merino sheep , while staying in the picture himself to offer advice and help whenever he needs it .
    So the new lad takes over the farm and in 3 years , has the place in a complete sh1te! This lad had everything handed to him and boy does it show. He spends his days driving around laughing at the neighbour's efforts at farming while his own sheep are dying out in the fields from starvation and flystrike. It would make you sick listening to him , he has done all the farming courses in the world and belives he is the smartest farmer in the world .
    A few examples of how to farm :
    1 , You don't need fences , it only delays the sheeps growth because if they can wander anywhere they can find the best feed .
    2 , Any lambs that are motherless are not worth bottle feeding and should be left to die.
    3 , Sheep dogs only need to be fed once or twice a week
    4 , You can't sow any crops until it rains .
    5 , You can't sow any crops when it rains beacause they need to have been sown before the rain - figure that one out lads :confused:
    6 , It's a bad job to top the 4 foot tall thistles beacause the stalks left could puncture a tyre .

There's a tractor out in a field for the last 2 month punctured. He won't bother with it till the day he needs it .
    Jesus I could be here all night!
    So what I'm really getting at here lads is no matter how small or insignifigant you think your patch of ground is at home , no matter how much money it's losing you a year. it has to be better to have that small patch run right than have a huge scale disaster like this lad . If my Dad or any of the farming crew I know at home had animals starving in the fields at home , they wouldn't be able to sleep .
    It's a credit to the small farmers at home how they manage to farm with Feck all only bad weather and hard work .
    Keep up the great work at home lads . I want this lad to be shamed if he ever visits !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wel 'Pat McGroin'..... firstly, no thanks :D:D (I see you've brought the oul' Irish sense of humour with ya anyway!)

It sounds like your getting 'experience' out there in the great land of OZ anyways!

It's good to see how other parts of the world live. Sometimes we can get stuck in our own little bubble and think everything's the same the world over.

He sounds like a rough 'farmer' alright :rolleyes: But sure there's plenty of lads like him here too! You probably just hit on a bad lad. Sure there's nothing to stop you keeping your ear to the ground and you could be able to jump ship to another farm after a while?

Btw, what part of Galway you from? Ye milking at home I take it?

Best of luck with the rest of your 'adventure'!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Pat McGroin

Howya Muckit .

I'll be done here in another week so thats me gone from here and I'll be forgetting about this lad for goood .I'm rightly fed up now after a day rounding up 1200 ewes out of a 250 acre field of thistles on a bloody motorbike..Grrr.. I know he's probably the exception but it kills me to see a lad that got such a chance and squandered it due to being a lazy clown . While all the while he 's laughing at us Irish fools with our tiny farms !
    I'm from out Abbeyknockmoy direction and those boney fresians were our bullocks ! They were the only calves we could buy for years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Now I'm not a usual poster in this section but I've been working on a farm here for the last three months and I just thought I would give the poor irish farmers an insight into how these great Ozzy lads go about their farm work ;)
    I grew up on a small farm in Galway and you know how it goes , sheep jumping walls , a bad crush for a few bony fresians and all the glitz and glamour that goes with the small farming life . The old man is still there struggling away these days and some day I'd love to get back to it and carry on the tradition !
    So anyway , things go tit's up at home in the buildings and I end up out here trying to make a go of something new and so this story begins.
    I got a job on a 5000 acre sheep farm in New South Wales where the farmer (for want of a better word) runs 5000 ewes . So in the first few days I got the background of how he got set up .
    His dad retired and gave him the land ,quads , motorbikes ,dogs and all the machinery you could think of and left him a well kept flock of top grade Merino sheep , while staying in the picture himself to offer advice and help whenever he needs it .
    So the new lad takes over the farm and in 3 years , has the place in a complete sh1te! This lad had everything handed to him and boy does it show. He spends his days driving around laughing at the neighbour's efforts at farming while his own sheep are dying out in the fields from starvation and flystrike. It would make you sick listening to him , he has done all the farming courses in the world and belives he is the smartest farmer in the world .
    1 , You don't need fences , it only delays the sheeps growth because if they can wander anywhere they can find the best feed .
    2 , Any lambs that are motherless are not worth bottle feeding and should be left to die.
    5 , You can't sow any crops when it rains beacause they need to have been sown before the rain - figure that one out lads :confused:
    6 , It's a bad job to top the 4 foot tall thistles beacause the stalks left could puncture a tyre .

There's a tractor out in a field for the last 2 month punctured. He won't bother with it till the day he needs it .
    So what I'm really getting at here lads is no matter how small or insignifigant you think your patch of ground is at home , no matter how much money it's losing you a year. it has to be better to have that small patch run right than have a huge scale disaster like this lad . If my Dad or any of the farming crew I know at home had animals starving in the fields at home , they wouldn't be able to sleep .
    It's a credit to the small farmers at home how they manage to farm with Feck all only bad weather and hard work .
    Keep up the great work at home lads . I want this lad to be shamed if he ever visits !

the only lesson i can learn from this post is that old saying , it takes all sorts !

for every rooter and waster that inherits a decent farm , thier are three others who pick up where the previous generation left off and drove the thing forward to new heights , thier is an annoying sneaky habbit among some with an agricultural backround of always wishing to see the successor of a farm as being inferior to the older generation

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭king_m

Hey there pat Mcgroin,
    Sounds like you can not wait to return to "ABBAAY" and start milking those freasin bull calves. Have you shot up much over there or is there tighting of fire arms restriction?? Whats the story with the shearing of the 5000 sheep were you involved or do they hire in teams of people and do it at different stages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

its like what a man told me one day it can take three generations to build up a farm and only take one generation to destroy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

, he has done all the farming courses in the world and belives he is the smartest farmer in the world .

Pat if you send that fella over here we could give him a five day course down at the bog,
    And send me over a few of them thistles to beat him with :D

Advertisement