Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to modernise this house?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We're looking at a house that's up for sale in our area: http://www.daft.ie/1594097

There are no more photos on the ad and we haven't yet seen it, but we reckon it would need pretty much a full interior redecoration from top to bottom.

We're probably looking at new hardwood floors downstairs, carpet upstairs, plastering and painting, new bathroom fittings and a new kitchen.

A further option would be to extend out over the garage and have the garage itself converted, maybe into an office.

Has anyone here got any idea how much this would cost? I know it's going to depend on an awful lot of things, such as the finish that we choose, the state of the house as it is already, etc.

However I'm only looking for a ballpark figure from someone who's got similar work done in the recent past. Will it be €20k? 50k? 70k? 100k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It's a bit like how long is a piece of string. The quality of fittings, how much you would do yourself etc... all play a part. The floor may need to be fixed before the flooring can be put in, heating system should be done first. I'd put in under floor heating if I was putting in new flooring. External insulation would be a good idea too. Most of the stuff you mentioned is more cosmetic than actually value adding stuff.

Would really need to see more photos to even give any kind of guess. Could easily spend 100k on it but could just spend 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Go to view it - IMHO if there are no photo's its not good and it needs lots of work - even crappy photo's are better than no photo's.And as the PP has said its costs depends on fixtures and fitting and whether or not your not you do some of the work yourself which could keep some of the cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The quality of fittings, how much you would do yourself etc...

First off, thanks for your answer Ray! Fittings: I'd be thinking stylish and durable, after all, we're planning on making this our ultimate and final home. Wouldn't have to be gold taps, but we'd go with quality.

We'd be doing very little ourselves I'd say, seeing as I'm not really all that handy, and I'd like things done right, rather than cheaply.

The floor may need to be fixed before the flooring can be put in, heating system should be done first. I'd put in under floor heating if I was putting in new flooring. External insulation would be a good idea too.

I don't think changing the heating system would be necessary from what I know of the place, but you're right, if we were doing the floors, this would be the time to put in underfloor heating. Excuse my ignorance, but what is external insulation? I'm familiar with attic and wall-cavity insulation, but not external.

Most of the stuff you mentioned is more cosmetic than actually value adding stuff.

That's it more than anything. As far as I know, the place is sound, but the décor is probably a bit dated and worn.

Would really need to see more photos to even give any kind of guess.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I'm just trying to gauge some sort of price range that we'll have to add on to the purchase price. Will probably view it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

Possibly new windows, insulation, re-wiring and re-doing plumbing. But what you need to do is to get a building surveyor to inspect it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

fricatus wrote: »
    Hi all,

We're looking at a house that's up for sale in our area: http://www.daft.ie/1594097

There are no more photos on the ad and we haven't yet seen it, but we reckon it would need pretty much a full interior redecoration from top to bottom.

We're probably looking at new hardwood floors downstairs, carpet upstairs, plastering and painting, new bathroom fittings and a new kitchen.

A further option would be to extend out over the garage and have the garage itself converted, maybe into an office.

Has anyone here got any idea how much this would cost? I know it's going to depend on an awful lot of things, such as the finish that we choose, the state of the house as it is already, etc.

However I'm only looking for a ballpark figure from someone who's got similar work done in the recent past. Will it be €20k? 50k? 70k? 100k?

IMHO at the very minimum you need to compile a specification, and give it a QS to cost OR min three builders to price. This information can be a great bargaining tool when haggling on price. what you have not mentioned here is the BER rating? and suggestions on the advisory report.

I'm familiar with that type of house (I have a relation who now rents a similar house in the estate) Suspended floors, cavity block, built circa 80's, with very little insulation (=hard to heat) in walls, floors & attic and poor airtightness, (I believe they can be draughty so when changing floors put in insulation and air-tightness membrane, consider this in the attic too) ...

what you have not mentioned here is the BER rating? and what suggestions were on the advisory report... very helpful when you wish to approximate your heating and hot water consumption

I think you'll find there's precedence in the vicinity for extending and altering the garage

Its a great location, walking distance to town, hospital, shops, the Suir and on a busy bus route... best of luck with your purchase

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Floor area is 120m2

Floor finishes laid can cost between 30-100€m2 so €3,600 / 12,000

It looks like a raised timber ground floor. To lift the boards dispose of the legally insulate the joists and replace with 18 OSB taped ( for air tightness ) ball park €6000.00

Bathroom fittings budget €1000 per piece say €4,000.00 to include all "the bits" mirrors , shelving etc as well as white goods

Heating Replace
    boiler €3,500 - 4,000.00
    cylinder €1,500 - 2,000.00
    w/s tank ( probably old galvo in attic ) €750-1000.00
    to split heating into 3 zones €1,500 - 2,000.00
    each new rad €500.00 installed
    convert to gas €250
    new oild tank if needed €500

Elecs replace
    Ball park €75 per item
    Bedrooms x 3 x 3 power + 3 x 2 lights = €1,125
    Kitchen 5 power + 2 lights = €525
    Living 4 power 4 lights = €600
    Circulation 4 power 4 lights =€600
    Alarm €2,000 - 3,000
    External lights 3 x 150 = €450
    New fuseboard , earthing €1,500.00 -2,000.00

Plastering after m+e say €1,000

Decorations ball park €15,000 - 25,000

Kitchens. Jayzus.! €5,000, 35,000.00 . Massive spread just go to showrooms.

Windows look ok but - very sketchy sums now - if to be replaced
    Assume area is 25% of wall area 120 x 2.5 x 0.25 = 75m2
    Can pay between €250-500m2. (And more) so €18,750 - €37,500 +

Replace internal doors ? Allow €500 each for good quality. Cheaper may warp.

Wall tiling , new skirtings - allow €5,000.00

Convert garage assume area is 20m x 750 = €15,000.00

Not considered

Structural alterations , external works ( gates , railings driveway )

Add 10% on top for builders profit. Deduct 10% if brave enough for direct labour.

Have I put you off ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sinnerboy wrote: »
    You've even put me off and I'm not doing any work, only reading this. :D

sinnerboy wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

Ehhhh, no...

:eek::eek::eek:

Much appreciated sinnerboy - gives us a real idea of how much we'd need to be budgeting for.

BryanF wrote: »
    what you have not mentioned here is the BER rating? and what suggestions were on the advisory report... very helpful when you wish to approximate your heating and hot water consumption

Hadn't thought of that... good suggestion, thanks!

Add to the list

thermal insulation upgrade

Option 1 . Insulated plasterboard dry lining (internal)
    Strip away existing plaster + battens . (likely to be 10mm board on 12mm battens with empty airspace ) . 50mm boards installed plastered.

Wall Area ( guesstimated ) 120 * 2.5 = 300m2 . Leave area of windows "in" to provide for reveals , grounds , and strip out

300 x 50 = €15,000.00 .

Option 2 External Wall Insulation

Area is different as the insulation must extend down to the footing and up to wallplate

120 x 3 = 420m2 . Leave area of windows "in" to provide for reveals , excavations , and replace facias + soffits

420 x 90 = €37,800.00

Attic insulation top up , say €750,-1000.

• Advertisement

Went and saw the house. Overall it seems to have been kept in very good nick, although it's all a bit dated and tired looking. On the plus side, the windows are all fairly new (with the exception of one or two small side windows).

The only thing not in sound condition was one of the steps on the stairs, which wobbled a bit (it's one of those "skeleton" stairs with only horizontal planks, and with the space underneath not enclosed. (Pardon the clumsy explanation!)

Pretty much everything that we would reckon on doing would be internal. The only exception is that we would probably like to stick a conservatory/sunroom on the side of the house (where you see the stovepipe sticking up - at the same level as the garage, or else slightly stepped down, as the house is on quite a slope). This would be as an extension to the kitchen, so as to catch some sun.

If we were to do an upgrade of the place, do ye reckon it would be possible to do it while we're living there (i.e. one or two rooms at a time), or is it really a "moving out" job, do you think?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

that all depends on you

Don't even consider it. You'll go mad.

Advertisement