Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External HDD Problem

• 27-05-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey all.

So I bought myself an iomega eGo 1tb usb HDD... I backed up everything onto it, no problems at all. This was in Win7 64bit Pro. Did a clean install of Win7, plug the HDD in to put my stuff back on.. and the second the plug goes in, the computer switches off. No bluescreens, no nothing, just instantly off. So it seemed to me maybe a power issue.. except i can't get the 2nd usb line in for extra power quick enough. So i plug both in while the system is off. It refuses to do anything when you press the power button, and works perfectly the second it unplugs.

So I tried it on my brothers computer, xp 32bit. Same thing, instant off.. only it will actually restart with the cables in (though the hdd doesn't turn on).

Finally, i tried my girlfriends laptop.. nothing happened, no crash, hdd won't turn on, but the usb ports then refuse to work on ANYTHING after its unplugged. Disabled them all in device manager, enabled and a restart and they're working again.

I'm certain it's not the powersupply unable to keep up, because theres never a stability issue under load with my hd4870 etc etc. And it wrote to it fine intitially. Plus it seems to happen all over.

One other thing I noticed is when I tried the rear USB ports on my computer, it shut off again but also the keyboard stopped working after (similar to what it did to my girlfriends laptop).

Any advice? I can't see anything _obvious_ in the event viewer around the time but then I don't know what i'm looking for either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

I'd take a stab at the ext. HDD power board is nackered - have you searched for problems with this model?

I wouldn't try it anymore for fear of doing damage to something else.

Way I see it is you have two options, 1. return it in "hope" that maybe you might get your data back - that could take weeks if not months of discussion back/forth with the company to get them to extract the data and load it onto the new HDD. 2. cut your losses and open the ext. HDD and insert it into your PC, theres usually a bog standard SATA HDD inside these Ext. HDD's

Or, if your around D.24 I have the bones of a USB ext. HDD (SATA) you can have it if you need it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It sounds like there is a short in the USB drive or some other problem that is sending a surge down the USB cable.

Plugging it into lots of different computers is a very bad idea, you are just running the risk of damaging their USB ports. Perhaps you already have.

Are you sure you are using the right PSU for the HDD and not accidentally using one that is higher voltage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

Sorry, my bad. It's a portable, draws its power off of the USB.

Iomega eGo usb3.0 (backwards compatible to 2.0 which I have)

I guess I'll bring it back today.

Its got all my data from the last few years on it.. I hope its not lost.

I guess I'll bring it back today.

Its got all my data from the last few years on it.. I hope its not lost.

Well for sure the data will be lost if you bring it back to the shop. They will just replace it with a new one, they're not going to retrieve any data for you, not for free anyway.

If you want to retrieve data you'll have to void the warranty. Open the enclosure and remove the drive. Then you can just connect it up to your desktop via SATA. Or put it in a new external enclosure.

So its a choice between retrieving the data or getting a replacement/money back.

Hmm. I can't really afford to throw 99e away, is it hard to find the sata to usb board that clips into the front of it? least then I could reuse it and stick the case back together..

• Advertisement

If you mean a replacement board for what you've got then no, that's not a part you can buy.

But you would just get an external enclosure, same difference. Typically about €15.

The only thing to be careful of is whether your drive is normal height (9.5mm) or larger. A lot of the 2.5" 1TB drives are 12mm and if that's what you've got you need to get an enclosure that will take it.

Cheers for all the help buddy.

I talked to the fella in the shop, for a change they actually knew something, he said it happened to him once and after email correspondance with iomega they let him crack it open to get the data out then return it for replacement. Else he'll see what he can do. Saving that i'll defo go that route :)

Advertisement