Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name change?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

It has been suggested over in the Feedback forum that we change the forum name, as unless you're familiar with the Fortean Times, then it's not really apparent what the content of the forum would be.

To that end, I'd like to open this thread for suggestions any of you good folks may have for the name of the forum. I will take all the suggestions, and will put them in a poll to determine what the new name should be (or if it should change at all!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Well Damo I never heard of Fortean times. I had no idea what it was until it was explained on feedback. Few others on that thread knew what it was either. I agree that its a good name now that I know what it is but I imagine most people would have no idea what the forum was about and just wouldn't click on it.

Personally I think this forum would be a good home for Ufology and Cryptozoology. Neither of them is really a CT or paranormal.

Maybe just call it "Ufology & Cryptozoology"? Does what it says on the tin!

But then again that leaves out the other things...

Looking at the charter it says
    Quite a bit I should think. Cryptozoology, Ufology, fringe and not so fringe science.

How about just call it "Ufology, Cryptozoology & Fringe Science"? Not exactly the cleverest name but if the forum is called that everyone will know what the forum is for!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I like the Bordean Times title (once I remembered what it meant) it's very clever.

However I wouldn't make the leap to what it was about just from seeing it in the dropdown.

Did anyone ever have that book 'Mysteries of the Unexplained'?
    Covered yetis, Bigfoot, UFOs, other creatures and sightings such as the Loch Ness monster and so on, I think the title of the book pretty much sums it up.

(Not sure will many people know what cryptozoology is at first glance either!)

Edit: Actually, yeah, maybe just this
    How about just call it "Ufology, Cryptozoology & Fringe Science"? Not exactly the cleverest name but if the forum is called that everyone will know what the forum is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Silverfish wrote: »
    Did anyone ever have that book 'Mysteries of the Unexplained'?
    Covered yetis, Bigfoot, UFOs, other creatures and sightings such as the Loch Ness monster and so on, I think the title of the book pretty much sums it up.

That book was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw this forum!
    I agree that not many people would be aware of the Fortean Times or what it's about so I think a name like "Mysteries of the Unexplained" (or maybe "Unexplained Mysteries") would definitely make things clearer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

51GEDkP5lxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For some flashbacks :)

Though I think as a forum title it might attract too much "Hey guys I put a pair of socks in the wash and now I have only one sock hahaha explain that" type of thing.

No one have any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Things that go bump in the night forum? :)
    I would go with Unexplained Mysteries, as Silverfish posted
    (Not sure will many people know what cryptozoology is at first glance either!)

Things that go bump in the night forum? :)
    I would go with Unexplained Mysteries, as Silverfish posted
    The thing is, the people who want to talk about crytozoology will know what it means. Those who want to talk about Ufology will know what it means(people in general will get that one).

Everyone knows what "Fringe Science" refers to.

I think "Unexplained mysteries" is too broad and too vague. That could be a million and one things. The reason why I brought this up in feedback was that I didnt know were to post.

If I was confronted with 3 forums,

Paranormal
    CT
    Mysteries of the unexplained

I and others would still be unsure, it is too general, and as Silverfish said you could get totally unrelated things all together. People would be like "Hmm, It could go in Paranormal, it could go in CT, or it could go in Mysteries of the unexplained." If it was for instance Ufos they wanted to talk about all doubt would be removed if "Ufology" was in the forum name.

"Ufology, Crytozoology & Fringe Science" Does what it says on the tin. It's simple. People know what the forum is for straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    The thing is, the people who want to talk about crytozoology will know what it means.
    But no one knew what Boardean/Fortean Times was? I remember watching Fortean times on C4, and although have not been as into it for the last couple of years got the name but was unsure of cryptozoology.
    It's only my 2 cent though, "Ufology, Crytozoology & Fringe Science" sounds a bit sterile to me.
    The name change would not mean a change in catagory would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

But no one knew what Boardean/Fortean Times was? I remember watching Fortean times on C4, and although have not been as into it for the last couple of years got the name but was unsure of cryptozoology.

At least with Cryptozoology, someone can google it or look it up and find out what exactly it is. If they google "Boardean times" however, they will just find this forum.

I think if "Ufology, Crytozoology & Fringe Science" isn't chosen as the new forum name, then maybe the forum tagline should be changed to "A forum to discuss Ufology, Crytozoology & Fringe Science." anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Just saw this topic today, I tried to get a UFO board a few years ago and as time has past I understand why it never happened, there's just not enough traffic/topics relating to the subject matter.

Edit: For those interested here is the old request thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50472402)

I think a name like 'Unexplained Phenomena' would better categorise all these different areas.

• Advertisement

Seems to be about it in terms of suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It'll be 4 weeks tomorrow, so I'll make a poll then! Any last minute suggestions, get them in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

FYI, here is my suggestion from the forum feedback forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056299758

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Unidentified phenomena.

Exophenomenon.

Sorry guys, to be perfectly honest, I'd forgotten to do the poll! I'll get right to it! So the options will be:

Ufology, Cryptozoology & Fringe Science
    Mysteries of the Unexplained
    Unexplained Mysteries
    Unexplained Phenomena
    Unidentified phenomena
    Exophenomenon
    Or stick with Boardean Times

The poll will be put up in a separate thread, feel free to continue any discussion here.

FYI guys, just waiting on the forum name change!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The name's changed now guys, sorry for the delay.

Advertisement