Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Vodafone to Tesco Mobile or O2?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am with Vodafone since 2007. But in the house where I live at present (Adare region, rural) Vodafone reception is not very good - one has to find a point (or run out of the door) to avoid the conversation breaking up, and sometimes one misses calls too.

Just for a test, I got free SIM cards from O2 and Meteor. Meteor coverage seems even worse, but O2 seems significantly better.

Money wise, I like the Tesco Mobile offer, which is on the O2 network. Is it OK to switch to it, or are there any catches I should be aware of? Their main selling points for me are the free calls within Tesco Mobile at a mere 10 Euro a month top-up (compared to 20 for Vodafone and O2) and the international rates.

Or is switching to O2 proper a better idea?

Or is there some ultimate reason I should stay on Vodafone? We *are* planning to move our landline to Vodafone because of the download allowances, but apparently we won't gain anything except a brief discount by having both our mobiles and landline on Vodafone?

(Vodafone's SureSignal offer is of no use for me because neither I nor my wife have 3G handsets. Besides, our broadband is just 2 M down 256K up, and sometimes we use it heavily).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Comparing Golden SIM to Tesco Mobile...

Free calls: Golden SIM always, Tesco Mobile requires 10 Euro topup. I will need to top up by that amount anyhow, but one can always forget. *BUT* apart from in-family calls, O2's offer has some more value as more random contacts are likely to be on O2 than on Tesco Mobile.

Calls to other networks: Golden SIM 10c, Tesco Mobile 20c. *BUT* Tesco Mobile has double credit, which evens the score - and then, Tesco Mobile does not have the 9 c setup charge.

International: Tesco Mobile cheaper. Very significantly cheaper. (Russia is the priority destination for me). However, http://www.1call.ie is available on O2, somewhat compensating for this (Tesco Mobile's way is stil more convenient).

Data: Tesco Mobile cheaper.

Customer service: ???

Phone selecton for upgrade: O2 better. But I'm tempted to go for DealExtreme or TinyDeal anyhow.

Tesco Mobile seems to be winning on points, but it is not an absolute victory as yet, and I know nothing of customer service.

Oops - no webtexts on Tesco Mobile. That's a bit of a turn off, as I hate typing texts. But on another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056151979 they say they are working on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the hint re moving networks. However, once I'm settled on a network I am likely to buy a handset and that is likely to be locked (unless I go for the Chinese websites - DealExtreme/TinyDeal, but there are warranty issues there). I probably need Bluetooth, and also want a QWERTY keyboard. The cheapest QWERTY devices are in fact Vodafone - but coverage takes priority.

Or is the locking to a network as opposed to an operator? That is, if I get an O2 locked device will it work in Tesco Mobile and vice versa?

As for international - I definitely need calls as opposed to texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Hi Michael

We are a separate network to O2 and phones locked to our network will not work on O2 and vice versa.

Webtexts is in development and is about 6 weeks away from go live.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Paul

A separate network but still on O2 physical network, right?

I just want to be sure that if we get good O2 coverage this applies to Tesco Mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Yes, coverage is the same but our services are different in that we have our own core and service network separate from O2.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

After long consideration, O2 wins, because of the Treats and the *much* better choice of new handsets (in both O2 itself and Carphone Warehouse). After all, I have VoIP on my computer for those long international chats, and the O2 rates are acceptable for short ones.

Now to catch the right time - using up as much remaining Vodafone credit as possible yet not losing the chance to grab the Golden SIM :)

Boards.ie is great - got answers from reps of both contenders!

Advertisement