Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

butter temp when baking

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

watching donna hay here on master chef australia. she is making a baked cheese cake and is making up her own base, i.e not using bought biscuits.

she was going on about not having warm hands when mixing the base ingredients as it will melt the butter. she was recommending cooling your hands in a bowl of iced water......

is melting the butter such a big deal? can anyone explain why? in my ignorance i usually melt the butter in the microwave when making something like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think using melted butter effects the texture of what you're baking.

I always leave my butter to 'soften' in the microwave too long and end up using melted butter when I'm not meant to and I've never had any problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

phasers wrote: »
    I always leave my butter to 'soften' in the microwave too long and end up using melted butter when I'm not meant to and I've never had any problems!

same as, i dont intend to totally liquify it either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A lot of recipes you can get away with it but obviously if making some pastry etc. it needs to be fridge cold.
    Sometimes butter straight from micro. can curdled eggs or over heat melted chocolate but guess it depends what you're making.
    I would of thought for a cheesecake that's going to be baked melted butter would be fine.

I don't have the patients for waiting for it to soften then when mixing it in it takes ages but they say if your butter is very cold you can always grate it in to the mixture and it blends grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

phasers wrote: »
    I think using melted butter effects the texture of what you're baking.

I did liquify butter by accident when softening it in a microwave and used it and the texture of the mixture was not quite right. I cant remember what I was baking. Probably wouldn't matter for some recipes.

However, I notice that the OP got this advice from an Australian program.

Even in a heatwave in Ireland, the risk of melting butter too much with your hands is pretty much non existant.

Advertisement