Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

undergrad with HPAT vs gradmed and GAMSAT

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

hi all,

just wondering have any of you decided to go the undergrad route instead of grad route?

the obvious difference is that the grad route is shorter (by a year) but anybody decide that doing the HPAT would be a better option than GAMSAT?

also looking at fees etc, undergrad is circa 9 grand a year (over 5 yrs) whereas grad is 13,4 over 4.

am i missing something as to why gradmed route would be better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I don't get it. Are you saying that gradmed is easily the lesser of the two options?
    Cost of tuition is UG route: 45k
    Tuition in Grad Med: 53.6k
    Wages earned during the year you save doing gradmed will easily offset the 8'600 euro difference in tuition. Thats not even taking into account living expenses. If you spend 200 quid per week living, the 5 year programme will actually cost you more without taking into account lost earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

no i'm not saying gradmed is a lesser option at all,

was just wondering if the undergrad route would be a viable alternative to doin gamsat and gradmed if a candidate had met the criteria for undergrad admission (subject choices in lc etc)

is the financial argument the only reason to consider when choosing between the two routes?

would hpat be more manageable than gamsat as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Now I get you.
    I haven't sat HPAT, only GAMSAT, but I know a few people who have sat both. They have invariably said HPAT was easier but I'm sure you could find people who will testify to the opposite. I'd imagine the different format of the two exams suits different people.
    I can only think of 2 other factors to take into consideration off the top of my head; intensity and maturity. The grad entry programme will be more intense for the first 2 years before you join the undergrad class for the clinical (3rd and 4th) years. You'll sit the exact same exams as the UG class, but in a shorter time frame. Having said that, there's people in my class who joined with no science background and are doing very well. I'd definitely consider the gap in maturity though. A few of the mature students I've talked to in the UG class have said it's an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hattie

If you can you have to should do both if you are serious about doing this... it is not that bad really HPAT is a bizarre exam but some of the questions are similar to the GAMSAT (not the science but the shapes and all that and the format)...... in terms of which is the better option financially... Biologic is correct it does not work out that different when you factor in the difference in years... however Grad Med is tough in terms of time longer hours and longer terms so you can work (if you think you can get reasonably well paid work while studying)....doing undergrad you may end up with less of a loan compared with GEM... either way if you want this enough apply for both.. if you do not get the GEM scores you wanted and get a place as a mature student you will have a year done in medicine instead of the pressure of going back to sit the horrid GAMSAT again and waiting for that ridiculous score to be announced ! If you want it enough do NOT exclude any options and go with what you get offered (if anything) even if less than ideal as nothing is as bad as it seems... best of luck!

Advertisement