Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

practice pop ups at home?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi
    does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about paractcing popups when at home,
    my major hurdle is getting to my feet , so i need to get fitter and stronger at doing this, so it becomes instinct when in the water?

will be taking lessons, but until i can afford them would like to work at it myself..

also is straight popping up the best way or sliding your back foot into position while bringing your knee into position easier..??
    sorry for noob questions....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

nothing to apologize-- we all been there...

... i'm guessing that if you're wondering about practicing at home most likely you did like everybody else:

-- remove the fins, place the board in the floor over a duvet practice while watching your favorite box series

(or)

-- put your surfboard in your bed with fins sticking out and practice while watching your favorite box series

at the moment, i recommend "the wire" or "lie to me" -- "psych" very entertaining as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

don't practice on a board on dry land you'll f-up the deck even on a baginners board.

Just practice on the floor, see if you can find some videos on you tube
    These are good http://www.surfsimply.com/podcast/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cornflake kid

hey thanks for the
    quick replies guys...

sounds good...floor and duvet that is...
    cheers

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A slight incline is good so your head is downhill from your feet, bit more like a wave then. Also concentrate on not letting your feet touch the ground until they are flat on the board and you're standing, so no pushing up with your feet the sooner you get that the better you'll be. It's hard to recreate the feeling of being on an actual board though, my pop is cinsiderably better in the surf than it is on dry land so go figure, but practicing on land is good for the old muscle memory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

I used to take my board out of the board bag (if you have one) and practice the pop ups on the board bag. Twas handy enough, you have a fair idea of where you'll be on the board that way, so you're not practising popping up off balance or all over the place.

In fact if you place your board out next to the bag while you're doing it you can see exactly where you would be on your own board.

Good luck, and enjoy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 cornflake kid

the incline and board bag ideas are great ideas , incline deffo will help simulate the effect of being pitched forward...
    cheers

lots of exercise ahead of me...!!
    all good tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Another tip when you do pop up, keep your ass low to the board. Many people just stand up straight before they have full control of the board. I practiced onjust the floor and on the bed when I was younger, but keep low and hold your back relatively straight.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Also don't take your hands off the board 'til your feet are flat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

gonna take some of this advice for myself aswell :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Start by doing plenty of push ups with your hands very close to the body, easier to pop up when your arms are strong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

push ups on the indo board are awesome if you're a weed. Doing the plank on the indo board and then bringing one knee in to your chest at a time for a few reps helps you practice keeping your hands on the board balanced and not just using your back feet to stabilise you

Advertisement