Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surplus grass, Any Suggestions?

• 27-05-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi, I am in the unusual position this year of having about 18 acres of surplus grass. It hasnt been grazed this year nor has there been any fertilizer or slurry spread on it. As a result some fields have a heavier growth than others. I do not have enough cattle this year to graze it myself along with the rest of my land. Due to complications with the lease i cannot let anyone else in on it to graze it. Even though there is a legal lease inplace the land isnt actually costing me anything, its a long story but in effect i have the use of the land for free. Has anyone any suggestions as to what use i can put it to?

As there isnt an even crop on it, it would be impossible to put a price on it as it stands in the field, maybe i could sell the crop to some one and take €8 or €9 per bale when they have it baled? is this price way out?

Should i bale and wrap it myself and sell the bales later in the year?

Pray for a good summer and try and save round bales of hay and try and sell the bales from the field? - my time is quiet limited due to work so saving hay may cost more time wise than its worth?

it seems a shame to see a nice crop of grass go to waste.
    Any one got any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If you've your own haybob and it's ready for action, then hay is the way to go (weather dependent of course) :rolleyes:

The fact that you've no fertiliser out will make the cutting date more flexible. The more stem in it the better in fact ;)

If weather turns, then you still have the option of baled silage. But if your planning to sell, hay will leave you more of a return.

Fingers crossed for a bit of settled weather!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

As there isnt an even crop on it, it would be impossible to put a price on it as it stands in the field, maybe i could sell the crop to some one and take €8 or €9 per bale when they have it baled? is this price way out?

I would say this is the easiest, least risk, least work option. To reduce the risk you could ask for a deposit up front (based on estimate of how many bales you think are likely) and then even if something does go wrong with payment after the grass is taken your not out of pocket too much

I would say your price isn't too far off either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

I was thinking ideally the way to go would be hay but unfortunately im not sure if id have the time to live in the field turning it ha id have to get a lend of a haybob and like alot of other tractors in the country, mine has seen better days. They say we'r in for a good summer though and hay would be easier sold.

Think ill have to see can i find some interested in it on the field at €8 or €9 a bale with payment on the day of baling, its probably my best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Take 50% of the expected number of bales up front as a deposit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Take some time off work next month and make hay, nothing like a few hours on the haybob.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement