Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Eircom..

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

From what I can see Eircom turned my Broadband off at 11 yesterday morning and according to Vodafone at the time I wasn’t officially connected to them.

I eventually managed to get 1Mbps on my Eircom router with my Vodaphone log in details. The last communication that I had with Eircom on this via broadband support, I was told my router was broken and because I was on a rolling contact I had to pay for a new one, sign back up and get a free router or get a third party router with limited support.

I would have hoped after 24 years with Eircom I would have been treated slightly better and not have to sneak around the fact Vodafone gave me a better deal and I chose to move to them.

I have learned why so many people are afraid to make the jump and switch providers. Only for I have IT and networking experience I’d still be bouncing from Eircom to Vodafone asking to get my internet working.

Also I am using Eircom wholesale with Vodaphone and now I can’t get setenta sports online via the Sports hub. I’d have thought an Eircom service would still have worked with it.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Sadly Eircom is a sinking ship which I cannot wait to exit once my UPC lifeboat comes along. I've nothing but praise for the guys who offer support on boards.ie. The broadband service that Eircom offer is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

DonJose wrote: »
    Sadly Eircom is a sinking ship which I cannot wait to exit once my UPC lifeboat comes along. I've nothing but praise for the guys who offer support on boards.ie. The broadband service that Eircom offer is dire.

Yes the support team in here and in most cases on the phone do a great job, also the people i have met in Capita(one of, if not the main call centre for Eircom)where nice. I would not wish job losses on those people(including a friend of mine), but it seems only a matter of time the way the company is ran.

Once we hit “NGB” we were grand, but the years of congestion issues and lies over it still lingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

Dear, jeffk
    What package did you get with Vodafone?

I got the "Vodafone Office Value Plus" features for €39.99
    * Vodafone Office Value Broadband (40gb usage)
    * Vodafone Office Line Rental
    * Unlimited Anytime Local & National Minutes
    * 200 Anytime Minutes to any Vodafone Mobile

But the 40Gb broadband is a bit of a issue

Hello Mits,

I got Vodafone At Home Talk Off-peak + Ultimate Broadband
    I’m hitting around 13Mbps speeds and the fair Usage Cap is 300GB, I think Eircom was 250GB. Its €62 a month, for an extra fiver you get anytime free calls.

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/productdetails.jsp;jsessionid=v7jtNTnMmcpWyRrWYlVFjRF10mk2Nhng8kDzTc31d6xxppvzy0YD!-1633324728!-1481463500?productid=381058&producttypetab=HOMEPHONEBROANDBAND&categorytab=subcategory_2&perlicoid=115021

If you need to know more you can just ask.

P.S Have you got a Vodafone router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jeffk wrote: »
    From what I can see Eircom turned my Broadband off at 11 yesterday morning and according to Vodafone at the time I wasn’t officially connected to them.

I eventually managed to get 1Mbps on my Eircom router with my Vodaphone log in details. The last communication that I had with Eircom on this via broadband support, I was told my router was broken and because I was on a rolling contact I had to pay for a new one, sign back up and get a free router or get a third party router with limited support.

I would have hoped after 24 years with Eircom I would have been treated slightly better and not have to sneak around the fact Vodafone gave me a better deal and I chose to move to them.

I have learned why so many people are afraid to make the jump and switch providers. Only for I have IT and networking experience I’d still be bouncing from Eircom to Vodafone asking to get my internet working.

Also I am using Eircom wholesale with Vodaphone and now I can’t get setenta sports online via the Sports hub. I’d have thought an Eircom service would still have worked with it.:mad:

Hi Jeffk,

I apologise if you were unhappy with the way you were treated before left eircom. The new process set up regarding replacement modems if the customer is no longer under contract or warranty has been in place for the last year.

eircom offer a free modem with any new order placed for broadband and this include a 12 month warranty. However replacing a modem free of charge or without any conditions could not go on indefinitely as it is no longer practical from a company perspective.

However eircom did insure that we offer customers alternatives.

purchase a modem from eircom for €49.99 which will have an new 12 month warranty.

Customers can agree to enter a new 12 month contract with eircom and get a modem sent out free of charge, with a new 12 month warranty.

Or customers are free to purchase modems personally.

So I am sorry to hear that those options were no to your satisfaction and lead to you cancelling the broadband service. However was a step eircom needed to take.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hello Mark,

The problem I had was the Router wasn't broken. I had it working (all be it at a snail’s pace) with my Vodafone log in details.

I do understand the protocol for the router. It’s the sudden end of service and then being basically told hand out money or sign back up or you’ll have no internet.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    Jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 12 APRS9

I have left Vodafone to Eircom.
    But I have only moved my deck chair on the Irish Internet 'Titanic'
    (moving provider is advised with care - watch the cancellation fee)

Why is the level of service disappointment and 'small print' booby traps so common?
    Why do you have to spend hours trying to resolve problems that are 'never' a provider's problem? ( Why promise a callback that never happens?)
    Why can't providers just be honest if there is a problem with their Network
    Why do providers advertise speeds that are never achievable on last century infrastructure?
    Why don't Comreg as a State agency have more control to keep Mulinationals making so much money accountable.

Why can't providers just deliver what they say they will?
    It a pity BT sold out - Now there was good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jeffk wrote: »
    Hello Mark,

The problem I had was the Router wasn't broken. I had it working (all be it at a snail’s pace) with my Vodafone log in details.

I do understand the protocol for the router. It’s the sudden end of service and then being basically told hand out money or sign back up or you’ll have no internet.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    Jeff

Hi Jeffk,

No problem, sorry about the expirience you had. If you do have any queries in the future please let me know.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Jeffk,

No problem, sorry about the expirience you had. If you do have any queries in the future please let me know.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I will indeed thanks.

All the best,
    Jeff

Advertisement