Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Modem Contradictions

• 27-05-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I'm on the NGB up to 8mb Regular (was renamed from Advanced a few weeks ago and price reduced by €9.83p/m) and get a steady 5.27mbps all day.

My Eircom-provided Netopia Modem is labelled underneath as Model: 2247NWG-EIR.

However, using the Netopia (192.168.1.254) facility the Model is shown as 2247-02.

Software version is 780r2.

According to the Eircom Fact Sheet the 2247NWG supports every B/band package up to and including the 24M/1M with Software version 770r6 or higher installed.

However, the Max Allowed Speed shown in the spec is only 6144 kbps.

So, if this modem can support up to 24mb can anyone tell me why the Max Download Speed is set so low and if there is any way to increase it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If by Max Download Speed you mean your Sync speed, then this is set by eircom to be the maximum capability of your line. It is not the modem that limits you, it's the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

jor el wrote: »
    If by Max Download Speed you mean your Sync speed, then this is set by eircom to be the maximum capability of your line. It is not the modem that limits you, it's the line.

Thanks for your reply. The term Sync Speed is not listed anywhere but I can now assume the Max Allowed Speed means the same thing. So, that explains why I didn't get the "free upgrade to 24mb" letter from Eircom. Bit strange that the limit is set so low in a hugely populated Dublin south area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

dubdaymo wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. The term Sync Speed is not listed anywhere but I can now assume the Max Allowed Speed means the same thing. So, that explains why I didn't get the "free upgrade to 24mb" letter from Eircom. Bit strange that the limit is set so low in a hugely populated Dublin south area.

Its not that the available speed is set low.
    With DSL, the speed you can receive on your line is generally down to how far away you are from the local exchange. i.e, you can only get 24mbps on DSL if you live close to the exchange (generally a few hundred meters.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also check your line stats.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

roast wrote: »
    you can only get 24mbps on DSL if you live close to the exchange (generally a few hundred meters.)

I understand that. I would never expect to get 24 but feel that if 5.27 really is the max on this line in a capital city urban area then the 3-lettered company is going to make hay with their higher speeds. Not from me they won't, though.

My line stats are:

Noise 12.50/23.00
    Line Att 38.50/21.50
    CRC Errors 6/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That line can probably handle 7 megs but there's a small chance the line might disconnect once or twice a day. You'd need to call eircom and request the increase to the 7 meg DSL profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sweetafton

That line can probably handle 7 megs but there's a small chance the line might disconnect once or twice a day. You'd need to call eircom and request the increase to the 7 meg DSL profile.

How does one interpret line stats?

Advertisement