Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and Metal Forum Musicians

• 27-05-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

So just wondering who all in The Rock and Metal Forum plays instruments and if so what instruments do you play, also have you wrote any music.

Alot of Metal heads I know are happy just listening to the Art and not picking up an instrument, personally I Play Guitar and bass for some time now and have made half ass attempts at song writing :( Below is one track i did a while Back, im sure not to everyones taste but hey hopefully its the song is better than my Spelling in the video:).

"By The way Malice I didnt but this in the Songwriting section as am just interested if there are many Musicians in the R&M Forum"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I'm an obsessed metal drummer. May as well post this up for the laugh haha. The only recording my band has ever released. Its a band we started in secondary school with HUGE influence from Lamb of God and Machine head etc.

Take note that the recording is nearly 2 years old and the song is even older than that :P we don't really like the song too much anymore but we're still a bit proud of it...in a way!

GrizzlyMan, that is some good stuff you have there! I'm liking it, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I'm an obsessed metal drummer. May as well post this up for the laugh haha. The only recording my band has ever released. Its a band we started in secondary school with HUGE influence from Lamb of God and Machine head etc.

Take note that the recording is nearly 2 years old and the song is even older than that :P we don't really like the song too much anymore but we're still a bit proud of it...in a way!

GrizzlyMan, that is some good stuff you have there! I'm liking it, well done!

Cheers man have sh1t loads of stuff done over the years but never end up finshing the sound or mastering, good to pass the time though.

Have to say I actually really enjoyed that dude, loving the guitar sound! also some seriously nice beats, should deffo look into continuing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I play the guitar and a small bit of the drums, but the guitar would be my passion. Picked this up last year and I'm very happy with it. Now I just need a proper amp to run it through. I have the Orange Dual Terror in mind, so hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have upgraded my amp. I have also started messing around with electronics and have started building my onw pedals. I have an idea for a tremolo, but it's just trying to find the time now to sit down and sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I play guitar mainly, can play very basic drums and bass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I play the bass and harmonica. Pretty decent on both.

Have a handle on very basic drumming as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    "By The way Malice I didnt but this in the Songwriting section as am just interested if there are many Musicians in the R&M Forum"
    No worries I don't think I've ever visited the Songwriting forum anyway :). I think we've had this topic in here before but nothing coming up on the search.

For the record I play bass, guitar and I can do a bit of drumming as long as everyone else plays slowly and doesn't mind a few mistakes :p.

I've been writing music since the mid-nineties. I started off on Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker. Anyone here remember them?

Once my computers started to get a bit more powerful I progressed on to FL Studio. The first time I realised what VSTs could do I was like this: :eek: I tend to write a bunch of stuff and then do nothing with them. If I don't get the song finished pretty quickly it will just languish on a hard drive probably forever :o.

My most recent band that progressed beyond a few jams was formed via Boards and I always use it as a retort when people complain about it being impossible to find band members on this site. We played instrumental metal as we never managed to find a singer but I think the lack of a singer probably helped the group dynamic as any disagreements were kind of voted on and with three people in the band you're never going to get a tie :). Our sound was kind of a mixture of stuff like Tool, Deftones and Meshuggah. Videos from a gig in Galway are available here

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Classically trained on the violin, but I mostly sing and play guitar/bass these days. It's not really metal, but here's one of my band's rockier numbers (I'm vocals/guitar on this).

GrizzlyMan and Useful, like both those tunes! Very decent vocals on both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

nice idea for a thread,

i play guitar and bass to an intermediate level at best,

have no recordings to hand but i'll get off my arse and record some riffage for the hell of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Good idea for a thread. I've played drums for a few years, and play a bit of guitar as well. I'm in a band at the moment, played a few gigs a while back but its been quiet lately. Will post something if I come across any recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'll do a copypasta from my thread in the bands/musicians forum, there are videos of the original band i was in years ago online but i'm more embarresed about how i look in them, i still love the music!

bassist experience: playing bass (and a bit of guitar) for close to 20 years now (i'm 35) spent time from 96-2005 in dublin in a couple of original bands, and since then in the midlands in a few cover bands. my playing style is based on phil lynott/cliff burton/justin chancellor (guess what genre i liked as a novice bassist) but can turn my hand to almost any genre and am very open minded music wise. but rock would be my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I play guitar classical and electric, used to play classical piano and intend to pick it up again. I've written and recorded 2 albums and am working on a third called Filler which will be filled with overlong and mediocre songs with lengthy guitar solos, stock riffs and self indulgent lyrics. I think it will be quite a unique commentary on the mediocrity phase many bands go through which is the direction I want to take it in conceptually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years (?) I think, and got a bass 2 years ago. Love them both.
    This is my band, would appreciate feedback. None of the songs are really "finished" i.e the recordings are not final versions, they're more for demo purposes. I'd recommend listening to B.L.T and Krout is Out first (if at all lol)
    http://www.myspace.com/youtakeacid

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years (?) I think, and got a bass 2 years ago. Love them both.
    This is my band, would appreciate feedback. None of the songs are really "finished" i.e the recordings are not final versions, they're more for demo purposes. I'd recommend listening to B.L.T and Krout is Out first (if at all lol)
    http://www.myspace.com/youtakeacid

Really liking those 2 songs Herb! The Krout is Out has a great atmosphere to it, not a bad singer either. Consider me a new MySpace fan.

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Really liking those 2 songs Herb! The Krout is Out has a great atmosphere to it, not a bad singer either. Consider me a new MySpace fan.
    nice wan, thanks! we have yet to play a gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭dasdog

Malice wrote: »
    I've been writing music since the mid-nineties. I started off on Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker. Anyone here remember them?

or Fast Tracker II. Editing in HEX on a 486 with a SB16 but those programs worked like a dream even if the quality wasn't the best.

Good to see people recording their own tunes. I haven't written/recorded a rock or metal song in a couple of years might give it a go over the next few days. Been playing guitar for 20+ years but just about everything falls under the scope these days with technology. One of maiden's first two albums usually gets a play through every few weeks, with plenty of mistakes of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I like to mess around with my guitar. I'm self though and I'm grand at it. I plan on really spending time at getting better over the summer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Some good tunes here that everyones put up,enjoying them.

I play guitar mainly and have been starting on the drums,bass and piano now for a few years too.Never been in a band but might get something going in a while,At this rate I probably never will!Would love to play drums in a band but need a few more hours behind the set before I get going.

I tend to spend most of my time messing around with Reaper recording some riffs and some covers,I don't have an amp and never really play on one which is a bit wierd I suppose.

bradlente wrote: »
    Some good tunes here that everyones put up,enjoying them.

I play guitar mainly and have been starting on the drums,bass and piano now for a few years too.Never been in a band but might get something going in a while,At this rate I probably never will!Would love to play drums in a band but need a few more hours behind the set before I get going.

I tend to spend most of my time messing around with Reaper recording some riffs and some covers,I don't have an amp and never really play on one which is a bit wierd I suppose.
    Do it, it improves your playing so much. And I don't think it's ever too late to play music, that's the great thing about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Contrary to my name I play drums.

And also guitar and bass to a competent degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I've a couple of mates that I've had the odd jam with,Which is great fun and your right even out of those handful of times theres been a few little grooves and bits that stick out and lead to me learning a new technique or an old one a bit better.
    After another while of honing the craft(s) in general then it'd be nice to get something off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

dasdog wrote: »
    or Fast Tracker II. Editing in HEX on a 486 with a SB16 but those programs worked like a dream even if the quality wasn't the best.
    I never liked FT2. The mouse-orientated interface didn't agree with me after learning so many shortcuts in Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker. Having said that, these days on Windows I use OpenMPT to play or edit those .mod/.it/.xm/.s3m etc formats.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I play a bit of bass, only started in the last year

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm a drummer but the instrument the ladies really love is the recorder. Studied it for 5 years in secondary. ;)

As much as I love heavy metal, the drumming usually bores me to tears. Neil Peart and Stewart Copeland all the way baby!

Advertisement