Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Dress-code?

• 27-05-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I was just wondering if there is a specific dress code for the leaving cert... by this i mean are hats allowed as i am male and i have long hair that i want to keep out of my face during the exams... i have an emo fringe that goes all the way down to my mouth... am i allowed to wear a hat into the exams to keep this out of my way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

When i did mine it was full school uniform.. Examiners may think your hiding something so probably not!!

But then again.. Maybe not.. Just ask when you go in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A hair-band might be easier and you won't get a hot head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hair band might be better. Hats were banned when I was doing my exams, some one had been caught with some notes written on the underside of the peak the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cirx08

When i did mine it was full school uniform.. Examiners may think your hiding something so probably not!!

But then again.. Maybe not.. Just ask when you go in?

ok thanks i shall ask because when i was doing my junior cert if i remember correctly the leaving certs in my school were allowed to wear normal clothes...

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hair band might be better. Hats were banned when I was doing my exams, some one had been caught with some notes written on the underside of the peak the previous year.

ok i guess i won't be allowed to wear one then so i'll just end up holding my fringe back or something :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

It's up to the school's uniform code as far as I know. Like in my school you can turn up in normal clothes (ie. not the uniform) and nothing will be said but 2 or 3 years ago I remember a big story in the papers of a boy who's principal wouldn't allow him sit his leaving cert because his #2 haircut was against the uniform code! Thought that was terrible!

Yeah I second a cloth hair band because a hat will be so uncomfortable!

It's up to the school's uniform code as far as I know. Like in my school you can turn up in normal clothes (ie. not the uniform) and nothing will be said but 2 or 3 years ago I remember a big story in the papers of a boy who's principal wouldn't allow him sit his leaving cert because his #2 haircut was against the uniform code! Thought that was terrible!

Yeah I second a cloth hair band because a hat will be so uncomfortable!

haha well i highly doubt my school principal would say anything about my hair because he knows i'd knock him out if he did :L i'll try find some invisible clips or something or just hold it back with my hand like i did for the mocks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Gel it back or something?
    I don't think it's worth wearing a hat and not being able to sit your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Bring a hat and hairband (or something) on the first day and ask your supervisor would it be ok to wear the heat as it keeps your hair away. I am sure they would be fine with it cause they can check it for notes or whatever at the start just to make sure, unless there grumpy! I was the attendant last year and they all seemed pretty grand to talk to!

It's worth a try.......

Definitely bring a man-band with you. I know it might not be attractive but it's not like you're there to pick up girls (or guys, if you're so inclined).

So try to get in with a hat but if you can't make sure you have a plan B that doesn't consist of holding it back. Holding your hair back during every exam is just going to be distracting and tiring. That's just silly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Simple solution, get a hair cut :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Kind of annoys me that I have to wear full uniform, I'd feel a lot more comfortable in my own clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm really glad I can be in my own clothes. I'm a bit worried about layering or sitting still for three hours. Hopefully the weather will be warm enough for me to wear a skirt or something.

OP: Headband or clips are the way to go. Clips might be easier as hairbands can dig in a bit after a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC does not have a dress code, but individual schools may have.

It is still their building, so their rules apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭unknowntoown

cut your hair, is it really that big of a deal that you want to wear a hat.
    Each school has a dress code so unless someone here goes to your school
    they cant tell you if your aloud
    and believe me or not but the emo scene never lasts after college specialy if you want a job so your better of cutting it and who knows it more then likly will suit you and your lifestyle if you find it annoying that your hair gets in your face.

if not then get a hairban there like 2 quid each in town i know plenty of girls and fellas that use them
    just prevents any hassle on the day of your exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

I'd say hair is in a way more important than the leaving cert... don't cut it! Unless you want to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Framble wrote: »
    I'd say hair is in a way more important than the leaving cert... don't cut it! Unless you want to!
    ?

Leaving cert results will, most likely, determine what course you get in college, thus how your life will unravel. Hair can grow back in months. Wuut are you on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

theowen wrote: »
    ?

Leaving cert results will, most likely, determine what course you get in college, thus how your life will unravel. Hair can grow back in months. Wuut are you on?

Relax dude, im pretty sure the OP is joking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Relax dude, im pretty sure the OP is joking ;)
    Oh. Woops...g'luck in the exams lads anywho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Wear whatever you like in the exams and ignore whatever the principal says. They shouldn't be near the exam centres as they can make the students nervous. Basically wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wear whatever you like in the exams and ignore whatever the principal says. They shouldn't be near the exam centres as they can make the students nervous. Basically wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

This is very bad advice.
    The schools are quite within their rights to ask for and expect an existing dress code.

Principals (or a Deputy or Assistant Principal) MUST be on site during examinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If your hair is that long just tie it back with a hair elastic and stop creating problems for yourself and the examiner. Surely you should be concentrating on studying rather than the head gear you may or may not be allowed wear during your exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Simple solution, get a hair cut :)

Ha this is SO something I would say!
    But, I shall not make fun of your self described "Emo fringe" as we are all in the same stress-filled boat!..
    I have a fringe too (girl fringe!)

So may I recommend a simple bobby pin slide.
    They are invisible and keep your hair back well!

Good luck with your dilemma dude!=)x

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

spurious wrote: »
    This is very bad advice.
    The schools are quite within their rights to ask for and expect an existing dress code.

Principals (or a Deputy or Assistant Principal) MUST be on site during examinations.

I didn't say they couldn't be in the school, I said they can't be near the exam centres.

The leaving certificate and the results are more important than an unnecessary dress code. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I didn't say they couldn't be in the school, I said they can't be near the exam centres.

The leaving certificate and the results are more important than an unnecessary dress code. That's my opinion.

Unfortunately sometimes students can't behave themselves despite the fact that it is the Leaving Cert. I can remember one LC year who were particularly giddy while the exams were taking place - some incredibly selfish students in that group - and the principal didn't have much choice other than to stand outside the door of the centre while the exams were on to keep an eye on them.

Advertisement