Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming Tools for Goldendoodle

• 27-05-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Well I brought my dog to the groomers yesterday and if I didnt go into early labour when I saw him I never will. She actually shaved him right to the skin. He doesnt look like himself and I feel so bad! I asked her to take a couple of inches off and she said that he was matted on his back a bit so would have to take a fair bit off. EEEEEKKKK!

So basically I am looking for advice on certain tools that would be suitable for his coat. He has more the poodle in him than the golden retriever though not as much that you would think he was a poodle. Obviously I'm going to have to brush him more often but is there a certain tool I could use to help me brush him or even thin his coat out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Get youself a large slicker brush. Start from his neck and brush the hair backwards. Do his whole body this way, including his legs brush upwards, same with tail. This will get all the loose undercoat out and therefore stop the matting. Granted he has no hair now but you could do it lightly to start off with. Reward him with treats while grooming him. This will keep him happy and he should look forward to his groom.

As the hair gets longer and is getting harder to manage, you can get yourself a double sided thinning scissors. This will thin the hair out and make it easier to manage. Cut with the grain of the hair (the way it growes). Give it 2 clicks and then brush out. You will get used to it and then know how much to do.

Both these things you can get in a pet shop, slicker about 10 euro, thinning scissors 8 euro.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You'll need a decent comb, scissors and a pin brush as well.

If you find any mats, you can 'slice through' the mat with the scissors, take it out with the slicker, and comb through after to make sure it's gone.

The pin brush will help with the drying, if you like to blow-dry your dog. I use The Stuff which you can get online. It's a leave-in conditioner that you spray on the damp coat. Great stuff (pardon the pun!:D). Keeps the knots down, repels stains and leaves the coat looking good!

Sorry - the last para of my comment isn't now relevant. Think I might've seen it elsewhere....*blush*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry - forgot to say:

If your doggy's prone to matting, you might like to invest in a knot-breaker. They'll take out the mats quick as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lady Thor

I have 2 Goldendoodles, one is black&poodle like and the other is blonde and like the golden retriever, when they were 1 year old we brought them to the groomer&they were completely shaved but she left their bushy tails so they were like 2 huge squirrels but we didnt mind too much cause they seemed happy although they must be the happiest dog breed one could buy!! This year we went to a groomer & she just trimmed them&gave them a "teddy bear" cut &they look great, i think it depends on what state the hair is in when the dog gets to the groomer!

Don't meet many other people with Goldendoodles, how old is your dog? is your dog tall? They have the happiest hyper temperment :) i think the trick is to try brush them as much as possible&your next trip to the groomer will be better :)

Advertisement