Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker night between friends

Options
  • 27-05-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a regular poker night (Texas Hold' em) between me and 6-7 friends on a monthly basis. What kind of rules would normally be used for a game like this? Is 6-8 a good number for a friendly game of poker?

Eg: €20 up front with no further buy ins, continues until only one person left (unless the people left agree to split the pot).

Also, what would be the best denominations to use for such a game. I have some chips but dont know if I'd ave enough.

I can get the offical rules from the thread here on boards but just wanted any other useful info from you guys (and gals, maybe)..

Cheers!

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

We do some home games aswell.

Chip denominations only come into play in relation to your blinds eg you wouldn't put a 20k stack with 45 minute levels.

The denominations we do are 25, 100, 500, 1000. And usually give everyone a 10k stack with roughly 15 minute blinds. In saying that every group is different, this is just how we do it.

I'd advise you that if you are going to do this on a regular basis to get some proper get eg tables and cards. There is a shop in Naas that do cheap tables and cards.

This is all I have off hand. Any other questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Doyler92 wrote: »
    We do some home games aswell.

Chip denominations only come into play in relation to your blinds eg you wouldn't put a 20k stack with 45 minute levels.

The denominations we do are 25, 100, 500, 1000. And usually give everyone a 10k stack with roughly 15 minute blinds. In saying that every group is different, this is just how we do it.

I'd advise you that if you are going to do this on a regular basis to get some proper get eg tables and cards. There is a shop in Naas that do cheap tables and cards.

This is all I have off hand. Any other questions just ask.

Cheers Doyler - as you might guess that I am relatively new to this....what do you mean by your bolded comments above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Try Roberts Rules. There's no definitive official set of rules. The trick is to try to be as consistent as possible.

6-8 people is fine if you've room.

Freezing out from the start isn't the best for a friendly game. If someone gets knocked out after 15mins, they've an awful lot of waiting to do. Better to have something like a €10 buy in, with 2 €10 rebuys or 1 rebuy and add-on at the break - each one being 2000-3000 in chips. Run this for 80/100 mins with 20 min blinds, then break for grub. Freezeout after the break and adjust the blind levels if it's taking too long for those knocked out.

Blind levels:
    25/50
    50/100
    75/150
    100/200
    150/300
    200/400
    300/600
    400/800
    500/1k
    800/1.5k
    1k/2k
    1.5k/3k
    2k/4k
    and so on

Chips starting 8x25, 8x100, 2x500. Rebuys 1k. If you don't have enough try starting with 4x25, 4x100, 3x500.

Payout something like: 45%, 35%, 20%

Then have a €5 cash game. 5c/10c blinds all the way. We used to have a hoot with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

The way we use to play at home:

Each player starts with 10k starting stack (the amount of chips player has) broken down as:

5 chips of 100's
    5 chips of 200's
    5 chips of 500's
    6 chips of 1000's

Total = 10k

You can always change for yee're preferences but you get the idea.

Each player pays 20euro for this.

We played 15 min blinds i.e

100 small blind, 200 big blind ---0-15mins
    200 SB, 400 BB ---16-30mins
    300 SB, 600 BB ---31-45mins
    400 SB, 800 BB ---46-1hr
    etc....

If your playing 'Freeze Out' i.e. no buy backs we usually split the pot 50/30/20% if between 6 to 10 players

If we play with buy backs we pay either 10e or 20e to get a fresh starting stack of 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Cheers Doyler - as you might guess that I am relatively new to this....what do you mean by your bolded comments above?

The blinds are the compulsory bets put out by the person to the left of the dealer (small blind) and the person to the left of them are the big blind. The blinds go up every so often and 15-20 minutes is usually good for a starting stack. I meant you would not put a 20k stack for 45 minute levels is because it would go on all night and possibly the next day. When a blind increases is goes to a next level. This is what I meant by a level. Any more questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

I see you got some great advice wrt poker tournaments. ^

If you want to try something different you should look into cash games - Me and my friends started out with tournaments and moved onto cash games and now rarely ever play tournaments.

All you have to do is assign a specific value to each chip. For our games we use 5c/10c blinds.
    So, we have:

White 5c
    Green 25c
    Pink 1€

Occasionally we bring in a 10c chip and 5€ chip. In my experience, home games are more exciting and you don't have to deal with the constant raising of blinds.

With 5c/10c blinds 20€ is definitely enough to have a deep enough stack (200x BB). And you can have minimum/maximum buy ins

Advertisement