Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milking parlour

• 27-05-2011 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

Hi i thinking bout buying a second hand parlour. it cums with 3ft centres and some are saying stay away from 3ft go for 2ft 6. what do ye think????????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

What positions have you milked cows from before, at the side or through the legs?

Which did you prefer?

Personally prefer through the legs although our parlour is 2ft 2 and with a head rail which is a pain to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Depends on how many units you plan on going into... If you plan on going over 8 units you would be better stay away from 3ft centers as the parlour gets too long..
    Very tight centers can be hard to train cows to turn round so far on the stand but makes working it easier from the pit.

Other than that it's up to personal taste...

Make sure pipeline sizes are up to decent standards as you don't want to be spending money twice which is often the pitfall with second hand plant :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

thanks. i milked cows from side and through the legs and prefered through the legs easier milking. the parlour is a 12 unit. is it too long for this size or would i be better with 2ft 6in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

12 units at 3 foot centres is 36 foot up and down the parlour every round. At 2ft 6in it is 30 foot of walking. So a 6 foot saving to do the same work per round. That adds up per round twice a day for 10 months per year.

Me, i would go for 2ft 6in.

And as a previous poster has already suggested, make sure your milk lines are big enough for now and maybe future expansion.

Enjoy your new parlour. Mine is in 8 years now (14 units up from 7 with room for 20) and it is a pleasure to milk in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

What way is the parlor set up already ??
    If it's set as 3ft and you plan on reusing the piping you may have to follow on with the 3ft centers or the inlets on the piping will be all over the place..

How modern is it?? pumps/pulsation/vacuum controller etc.. they need to be modern enough for the parlor to have value

Who do plan on fitting it......
    Obviously I'd recommend getting a qualified person to do it or at least advise on the setup..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

bbam wrote: »
    What way is the parlor set up already ??
    If it's set as 3ft and you plan on reusing the piping you may have to follow on with the 3ft centers or the inlets on the piping will be all over the place..

How modern is it?? pumps/pulsation/vacuum controller etc.. they need to be modern enough for the parlor to have value

Who do plan on fitting it......
    Obviously I'd recommend getting a qualified person to do it or at least advise on the setup..

I plan on getting a lad. it is a 1992 parlour alfa laval but pulsation needs changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

1have the cow standing at the height of your belly button 2 2"6 centres 3 movable headrail in front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

keep going wrote: »
    1have the cow standing at the height of your belly button 2 2"6 centres 3 movable headrail in front

don't get the belly button one but the other two are personal choice, as 2'2" are preferred by many and as for the head rail, head locking bails or the dairymaster swiftflow system are also options especially on the 2'2".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

funny man wrote: »
    don't get the belly button one but the other two are personal choice, as 2'2" are preferred by many and as for the head rail, head locking bails or the dairymaster swiftflow system are also options especially on the 2'2".

at around 1000 a unit is it worth it, have 3ft centres and its a disaster cos cows can kick off easier, step on milk line etc. having milked in all i rather 2' - 2' 2" only with sequential bailing (1k per unit as i said + maintaince) the 2' 6", then 2' - 2' 2" manual bailing then 3'

• Registered Users Posts: 1 silvo5

Hi all
    I am new to this site so hope I am doing this right going about putting in a new 18 unit parlour and just wondering if anybody has experice in a modren fullwood parlour I have been told this and that but thing I was told is that the fullwood is the rolls royce of milking parlours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

silvo5 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am new to this site so hope I am doing this right going about putting in a new 18 unit parlour and just wondering if anybody has experice in a modren fullwood parlour I have been told this and that but thing I was told is that the fullwood is the rolls royce of milking parlours

i dont know what the rolls royce of parlous is ( perhaps westfalia ) but it isnt fullwood , , not saying they are a bad brand but i would definatley rate both de laval and dairymaster above fullwood , my brother has a mongrel of a parlour , he does have fullwood clusters however and thier not the greatest , very complicated clawpiece compared to other makes

Advertisement