Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Saddle

• 27-05-2011 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

My Trek 1.2 stock saddle is giving me a pain in the bum and general undercarriage. I need a more comfortable option.

Can anyone recommend me a saddle preferably one that I can buy on wiggle.

Some considerations would be comfort for long rides and also that it fits with the style of a racer.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

You're likely to get a flood of (quite correct) replies that it's very difficult to recommend a saddle, as it's a very personal thing, similar to shoes. What works for one person may not work for another, due to differing width sit bones, or any number of other factors. That aside, the Charge Spoon does seem to crop up frequently as being a very popular and affordable option. I have a Trek 1000 (predecessor to your bike), and while I don't find the saddle too bad, I am thinking about replacing it with a spoon, as the overly thick padding at the back makes it difficult to get both a comfortable setup, while keeping the saddle reasonably flat/horizontal. Plus, the spoon is very affordably priced, so a good starting point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

cython wrote: »
    You're likely to get a flood of (quite correct) replies that it's very difficult to recommend a saddle, as it's a very personal thing, similar to shoes. What works for one person may not work for another, due to differing width sit bones, or any number of other factors. That aside, the Charge Spoon does seem to crop up frequently as being a very popular and affordable option. I have a Trek 1000 (predecessor to your bike), and while I don't find the saddle too bad, I am thinking about replacing it with a spoon, as the overly thick padding at the back makes it difficult to get both a comfortable setup, while keeping the saddle reasonably flat/horizontal. Plus, the spoon is very affordably priced, so a good starting point!

that's perfect. got one!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Enduroman

Just remember more cushion does't mean more comfort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    that's perfect. got one!

While the spoon is a great saddle, if you're a lady person, the ladle is better (if you're not, then ignore me!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I ride The Spoon. It's on my Charge Mixer and I've no probs. with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I've been using the classic Selle San Marco Rolls saddle for 10+ years. It's relatively firm but it's very comfy and suits a lot of people.

Also, I got a new bike recently and I have so far stuck with the stock saddle that came with it. The saddle has a slight hammock effect where the back tilts up a bit. I'm finding this shape very comfortable. Read here recently that the latest Fizik Spine Concept saddles have a theory that the hamocky type shape suits people with less flexible backs and flatter saddles for bendier people. This could hold true for the less expensive saddles that share these shapes.

You might try asking for a loan of a saddle to try it out from your friendly LBS? Maybe?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just back from a 7hr spin on my new Brooks flyer, and happy to report the sore arse and stiff back that always used to be the result of such a spin is totally absent. Previously had a Selle Italia gel flow, and the Kellys saddle that came with the bike. My riding style is more upright than most, on a flat bar bike, and the Brooks seems to suit this far better than the racier style saddles. Interestingly, the spoon was the other one I was considering, as it gets great reviews and seems well priced.

I'd suggest trying a few saddles and seeing what works for you, but it can be difficult to do without making the purchase. FWIW, I'm not convinced there's any relationship between price and comfort, so I'd be wary of splashing the cash on anything too expensive without trying it first.

Advertisement