Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good non alcohol beer

Options
  • 27-05-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Question for the non drinkers what is the best non alcoholic beer available on the Market in your opinions,I have tried necks and it is very watery.
    Can you recommend a good n/a beer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

beagle001 wrote: »
    Question for the non drinkers what is the best non alcoholic beer available on the Market in your opinions,I have tried necks and it is very watery.
    Can you recommend a good n/a beer.

I like that Erdinger Alcohol Free. For years I had a bad impression of non-alcohol beers because of Kaliber. Not anymore. Every month or so I see the Erdinger on special offer in Tesco.

Interestingly, when I googled Kaliber I found an entire online shop selling non-alcoholic drinks here (the company involved appears from this to be setting up an alcohol free shop to service the Irish market)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

+1 for the erdinger - its very nice. becks is not too bad either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Showing my ignorance here but isn't part of being a "beer" the fact it has alcohol in it? Or is beer defined diferently that it alcohol isn't a nessecary characteristic? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

i personally love Becks, not a big fan of Erdinger, Cobra or Paulander. Holsten or Bavaria isnt bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

+2 for Erdinger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I thought the Becks was nice at first but it left a kind of bitter after taste. Whatever you do don't try Cobra, it's disgusting!

So, no good ones to recommend yet :( I'll have to give the Erdinger a try

Also, I've heard Clausthaler is nice but I don't know if it's available in Ireland, it's stocked by Waitrose in the UK

http://us.clausthaler.com/cms/startordner/infocenter/1390_u1.html

Edit: Try the Beer,Wine and Spirits Forum. A quick search shows there have been a few threads on this topic so you might get more ideas there

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=598

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Budvar is my fav followed by Paulaner. Unfortuately Budvar is not commonly found.

Erdinger is nice for the first few mouthfuls, but I've never been able to finish a bottle.

Btw, if you are a regular beer drinker then it's unlikely you'll find any of them satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

cheers for the replies,had a couple of erdinger at the weekend and really liked it when served ice cold.
    Off the sauce indefinitely and needed to find a non alcohoic alternative,looking forward to trying the other recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Erdinger for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I love the Erdinger, I also like Cobra but Erdinger is really lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Showing my ignorance here but isn't part of being a "beer" the fact it has alcohol in it? Or is beer defined diferently that it alcohol isn't a nessecary characteristic? Genuine question.
    Most "non-alcoholic" drinks actually contain a small amount of ethanol - in Erdinger's case, 0.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Hi Guys
    Without being Murdered here Id love to tell you about NA Beers
    So weve got to the Erdinger by far its the most popular.
    But there is so much more out there.
    Almost every major beer company has a type of na variant.
    What you need to decipher is what kind of beer you like.
    Weiss beers have there own taste thats the erdinger maisels weiss and paulaner group ( to name but a few )

Then theres Cobra Becks and Baltika which would be more of a main line beer taste.
    and for the ex cider drinkers Kopparberg NA is also very well placed amongst them all.

Everyone is an individual so never judge what they like theres more tahn plenty around to float everyones boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Posted this before but keep an eye out for a russian beer called Baltika 0% I've only ever found it in the Franciscan Well in Cork but it's damn good as far as alcohol free beers go.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

it certanily is a great beer many nights Ive enjoyed it staying sober :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Koltashe

Hi Guys
    Without being Murdered here Id love to tell you about NA Beers
    So weve got to the Erdinger by far its the most popular.
    But there is so much more out there.
    Almost every major beer company has a type of na variant.
    What you need to decipher is what kind of beer you like.
    Weiss beers have there own taste thats the erdinger maisels weiss and paulaner group ( to name but a few )

Then theres Cobra Becks and Baltika which would be more of a main line beer taste.
    and for the ex cider drinkers Kopparberg NA is also very well placed amongst them all.

Everyone is an individual so never judge what they like theres more tahn plenty around to float everyones boat.

Just wondering where would you find Kopparberg NA? Did not even realize it existed! Would love to try... Same for Baltika... Though I am guessing one of them russian shops would be a safe bet for Baltika...

Found Kopparberg NA in Tesco in Dundrum....

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Folks,

I'm always curious why people drink NA beer. I'd love to know the reasons why you guys drink it! It couldn't because of taste. I tried a few of them and I personally think they stink. I'm guessing some people drink it as it looks like their drinking a beer and would like people to think their drinking beer? I don't drink and just drink a soft drink/ water when I go out as I rather them. I worked in bars for years and NA beers taste reminds me of the smell of drip trays which is not pleasant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Folks,

I'm always curious why people drink NA beer. I'd love to know the reasons why you guys drink it! It couldn't because of taste. I tried a few of them and I personally think they stink. I'm guessing some people drink it as it looks like their drinking a beer and would like people to think their drinking beer? I don't drink and just drink a soft drink/ water when I go out as I rather them. I worked in bars for years and NA beers taste reminds me of the smell of drip trays which is not pleasant!

true, most of them arent nice but I do like the erdinger one. I drink it when driving, drinking coke or water etc all night just doesnt appeal. You're right bout the wanting to look like your drink reasoning. My hubbie is a bit of a lightweight and hates being pressurised to drink more so sometimes he drinks NA and gets left alone.

I just hate standing around in a bar with no drink, and you tend to go through coke/sprite very quickly, and too much redbull is just simply not good! I do like erdinger though. Though I would only drink NA beer in a bar setting I switch to water in night clubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 EvesBlogg

Erdinger!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Does non-alcoholic beer still make you drowsy?. Remember my aunt saying that her husband had hangover like symptoms after a night on non-alcoholic brews,presumably (knowing the person) Kaliber.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Koltashe wrote: »
    Just wondering where would you find Kopparberg NA? Did not even realize it existed! Would love to try...
    Koltashe wrote: »
    Found Kopparberg NA in Tesco in Dundrum....

I found Kopparberg NA in Dunnes yesterday. Had never seen it before so thought I'd give it a try, wasn't bad! They only had pear flavour though, I'm not sure if they do the other flavours in non-alcoholic versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I have been trying several over the past week or so as im off the sauce till my newborn arrives. I had becks, erdinger, bavaria and paulner so far. the becks had a plastic taste and the paulner is a fruity beer not to my tastes. One or two are nice of the others but after that it gets tedious and you get that plastic taste.

Might try a few shandys that I seen in aldis and the likes and check dunnes and tescos the weekend see what they have. Also non alcoholic wine can be nice too, tried a merlot awhile back was lovely.

After a a few the weekend I awoke with a slight head on me alright, its probably the amount of sugar in them which adds to a regular hangover too. Drinking these drinks is merely for the taste for me as I like malty,wheaty,hops taste.

Tried Kopparberg NA pear the other day absolutely horrible, way to Much sugar and pear flavorings. not sure if its available in regular cider.

Good shop here for NA drinks

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk

Tried the Kobra NA the other night. two words...RANCID PISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Folks,

When on driving duties, if there's a nice non alcohlic beer available, I prefer the taste to sugary (or non sugary) soft drinks.

Another vote for Erdinger from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Bavaria is 0.00% is lovely. Erdinger I find too sweet and heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I've just recently stopped drinking and tried Erdinger N/A last night for the first time. I wouldn't be a big fan to be honest, it actually tasted identical to sugary cornflakes? :confused:

Friends who were drinking actually thought the same.

Must try more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Erdinder or Paulner, although I like my non Weiss beers so that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Freiheit wrote: »
    Does non-alcoholic beer still make you drowsy?. Remember my aunt saying that her husband had hangover like symptoms after a night on non-alcoholic brews,presumably (knowing the person) Kaliber.:)
    Honestly I don't know if it's proven but I'd seven pints of non alcoholic beer last night and woke up this morning with an awful head on me. I a grand sleep so can't blame tiredness, the only thing I can think of is the beer.

Someone else asked why drink them?
    I like the taste to be honest. I can't drink because of the medication I am on so since June last year I have have a total of six or seven units, but having said that I can well see myself sticking non alcoholic beers after I come off the medication, apart from the health implications you can't beat waking up hangover free- especially when you work weekends.

Advertisement