Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a kindle?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

what is the best way to buy a wi-fi kindle, in a shop or online, does it matter if you buy from co.uk site or .com site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The Mary Clarke

what is the best way to buy a wi-fi kindle, in a shop or online, does it matter if you buy from co.uk site or .com site?
    If you are buying on line from Amazon and are resident in the Republic of Ireland you can only buy from Amazon.com as Amazon uk will not ship any electronic items to the Republic of Ireland. I bought one before Christmas and had to buy it from the US site. It worked out pretty much the same price as buying it from the UK site. I would say just check out both methods of buying and then figure out which one suits you best.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Amazon uk will not ship any electronic items to the Republic of Ireland.

Just a correction, this is not true. Amazon do ship electronics to Rep. Of Ireland, but for whatever red tape reason we still have to buy the kindle from the us site.

Mactard wrote: »
    Just a correction, this is not true. Amazon do ship electronics to Rep. Of Ireland, but for whatever red tape reason we still have to buy the kindle from the us site.
    Oh..good to know that, I have just been unlucky with them so. I tried to get a new laptop charger before and had to have it shipped to a friend in Northern Ireland. I also even tried to get a kids book...talking frog or something and again had to have it shipped to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

Mactard wrote: »

This is true, although they are inconsistent, sometimes you can purchase certains items and other times, not.

The Kindle will have to be purchase from .com though, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Laura89

Hi,

Does anybody know where I would be able to purchase a Kindle in Dublin/ Ireland?

Thank you so much

Laura

• Advertisement

Laura89 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know where I would be able to purchase a Kindle in Dublin/ Ireland?

Thank you so much

Laura
    I saw them in Dixons in the airport last week so maybe if you check their website you could find out what other Dixons in the Dublin area are selling them. I dont know what other shops are selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Laura89

Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I saw them in Dixons in the airport last week so maybe if you check their website you could find out what other Dixons in the Dublin area are selling them. I dont know what other shops are selling them.

Any idea how much they are in the Airport? They're €149 and €199 in PC World Airside. Do travellers in the EU get anything off?

Rael wrote: »
    Any idea how much they are in the Airport? They're €149 and €199 in PC World Airside. Do travellers in the EU get anything off?
    Sorry I didn't look at the price as I had already bought one off Amazon US site.

Rael wrote: »

about 20 euro cheaper at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How much does it cost to download books? Are they a similar price to bookshops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

I got one off the Us Amazon store. Nice and handy and they have you set up for buying directly from them straight away.

Don''t bother with the 3G just get the wi-fi version. Saves on the battery as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Anywhere to buy .mobi ebooks other than Amazon.com? All the online bookstores I tried only offer ePUB...

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

Hi OP here, i eventually ordered my kindle from the .com site, workede out at 140 euro.
    just a question for anyone that has a kindle, is it possible to make folders on it for authors or types of books, fictions, crime, biography etc?

thanks

Hi OP here, i eventually ordered my kindle from the .com site, workede out at 140 euro.
    just a question for anyone that has a kindle, is it possible to make folders on it for authors or types of books, fictions, crime, biography etc?

thanks

You can create a collection, call it whatever you want and add books to it

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

thanks brian, i was trying that and it wouldnt let me but i hadnt registered my kindle yet, that sorted it out. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

On the verge of buying a Kindle but wondering if there are any accessories that are kinda essential and I should get at the same time. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

sudzs wrote: »
    On the verge of buying a Kindle but wondering if there are any accessories that are kinda essential and I should get at the same time. :confused:

I got a leather case, if you can afford the case with the light, go for it. I also bought a european plug. Both essential to me if buying from Amazon US.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Just on the power plug thing for the Amazon.com Kindle. You don't need to buy one, if you have a fairly recent mobile phone that has a micro USB type connector as that's what the Kindle 3 has. I just used my HTC charger and it works fine. The Kindle comes with a USB cable so you can charge it off your PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

angel01 wrote: »
    I got a leather case, if you can afford the case with the light, go for it. I also bought a european plug. Both essential to me if buying from Amazon US.

If you do go for both of these save yourself a bundle by ordering them from dealextreme.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Brian017 wrote: »
    Anywhere to buy .mobi ebooks other than Amazon.com? All the online bookstores I tried only offer ePUB...

booksonboard.com does mobipocket versions of books as well as pdf. just found it they seem to have a good selection.

still have to check if files are unprotected though otherwise they won't read on a kindle.

actually they have a good selection until you register your address... so I'm moving to the US....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

If i buy a kindle from amazon.com will I get caught for Customs in Ireland? I have someone in the states who could order one for me and bring it home in next few weeks. What's the best option?

melonstar wrote: »
    If i buy a kindle from amazon.com will I get caught for Customs in Ireland? I have someone in the states who could order one for me and bring it home in next few weeks. What's the best option?

Mine didn't get caught anyway. And a few people here got it off Amazon.com so I think you'd be pretty safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Thanks Brian. Will give it a go so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

melonstar wrote: »

If you buy from amazon.com, they incorporate the tax into the overall price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Folks, have been intending to buy a (wi-fi only) Kindle and am passing through Dublin airport on Monday...

If I pick one up there what are my chances of getting it setup and ready to roll in departures?
    Will be away for a four days and it would be great if I could use it out of the box. Does it use your existing Amazon account?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Dades wrote: »
    Folks, have been intending to buy a (wi-fi only) Kindle and am passing through Dublin airport on Monday...

If I pick one up there what are my chances of getting it setup and ready to roll in departures?
    Will be away for a four days and it would be great if I could use it out of the box. Does it use your existing Amazon account?

Cheers :)

Don't think it's an issue, you can register it through wifi once you have your amazon account e mail address and password. Fairly straightforward.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cool, I'm thinking it must be pretty straightforward. Here's hoping there's a bit of battery life in the thing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Dades wrote: »
    Cool, I'm thinking it must be pretty straightforward. Here's hoping there's a bit of battery life in the thing!

Bought mine last week and it came half charged!

FYI, I bought mine in Dixons in Luton airport. If anyone is passing through the WiFi is £101 and the 3G is £144. I got the latter and it came to €166 which is pretty sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I had a go of one for the first time over the weekend and am now seriously thinking of getting one.

I was looking them up on adverts, but for whatever reason most of the sellers have prices of around 180 euros, even though they're around 120 euros new :confused:

Did Amazon just drop their prices by a load recently and the 2nd hand market hasn't caught up yet, or what?

Advertisement