Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a kindle?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well I followed through and bought one in Dublin Airport. Opted for the wifi only version (am always hooked up to PC/laptop) and it cost me €127 which I was very happy with.

Bought the latest Iain M. Banks over wifi when I got to my hotel after having read the instructions on the plane. Happy so far - I'm now ready for George RR Martins monster book out next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Got the 3G version delivered from Amazon.com today for €183. I can't seem to find a section with free books in the store? Where is it anyone?

It's a disaster the way you can't adjust the screen brightness in it. I thought I would be able to read in bed with the bedside light off, but alas no. I'd hardly have bought it if I had known that. I'm dissapointed with it for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sonofcicero

finbarrk wrote: »
    How much does it cost to download books? Are they a similar price to bookshops?

go for all the classics - they're mostly free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Sonofcicero

It's a disaster the way you can't adjust the screen brightness in it. I thought I would be able to read in bed with the bedside light off, but alas no. I'd hardly have bought it if I had known that. I'm dissapointed with it for that reason.

kindle is a reader only - not a computer. that means it has no backlight, as you have on all PC's laptops and iPhones etc. It should be treated like a book, to be read in sunlight or at night, under light. I got one last month and i love it - I brought it on holidays to Lanzarote and read two boks on the beach, in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

can you red a book in the dark?? the reason the kindle is better than the iPad as a ebook reader is that it has no backlight and thus can be read in sunlight and it reduces eye strain.

I was put off by the fact you couldn't read in the dark when I first looked into eReaders. But once you get head around the concept it makes sense.

That said, I would have the screen a small bit brighter.

I would like if some future Readers had a little built in lamp you could pop up.
    (Yes, I know there are cases that have this but I don't need a case or want the added weight of one.)

Brian017 wrote: »
    can you red a book in the dark?? the reason the kindle is better than the iPad as a ebook reader is that it has no backlight and thus can be read in sunlight and it reduces eye strain.
    Well in Ireland there is it's more likely that it would be used indoors than in sunlight. It gives eye strain even in a room that is semi lit. I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra few € on an ipad that I could have used while lying in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well in Ireland there is it's more likely that it would be used indoors than in sunlight. It gives eye strain even in a room that is semi lit. I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra few € on an ipad that I could have used while lying in bed.

I'm the opposite. Was using my iPad as an e-reader for a few months but as soon as the winter ended and we started getting a bit of sun, it was useless. Bought a kindle a couple of months back and couldn't be without it now, I'd rather give up my iPad than kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra few € on an ipad that I could have used while lying in bed.

I have an iPad, it's not great for reading ebooks in bed. 2 main reasons for this are the backlight and the weight, unless I have it propped up it's much too heavy to hold comfortably while reading, so you'd have 2 types of strain to complain about - eyes and wrist. For ebook reading you picked the better device, if you wanted a tablet then you chose wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Just got my Kindle and I have it charging from my PC. I removed it from USB mode so I could play with it but now I want to put it back in USB mode so I can put some books on it.

Anyone know if there is a way to put it back into USB mode without unplugging it from the PC and plugging it back in. (I dont want to unplug it because this is the first charge and want it to fully charge without interruption).

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This doesn't answer your question, but there's no need to worry about interrupting the first charge - do, don't, it won't make the slightest bit of difference to the battery.

Cheers Mactard, I sort of guessed it wouldnt effect the battery but I'm always over cautious with new gadgets!

Its actually just finished charging now so its fine. Wonder if it is possible though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ljm

stdidit,

You can play while charging by selecting "safely remove hardware" from your pc taskbar area but leave the kindle connected. - It does tell you this on the screen while its charging !!!

stdidit wrote: »
    Cheers Mactard, I sort of guessed it wouldnt effect the battery but I'm always over cautious with new gadgets!

Its actually just finished charging now so its fine. Wonder if it is possible though?

Maybe flicking the on/off slider on the Kindle would enable usb mode again?

ljm wrote: »
    stdidit,

You can play while charging by selecting "safely remove hardware" from your pc taskbar area but leave the kindle connected. - It does tell you this on the screen while its charging !!!

Thats not what I want or asked! I am playing with it while it is charging but want to revert it to USB mode without unplugging and replugging it because I dont want to interrupt the charge.
    Mactard wrote: »
    Maybe flicking the on/off slider on the Kindle would enable usb mode again?

I had tried that but it didnt work, all it does is puts in sleep mode and then back to 'play' mode. Thanks anyways though

Batteries have moved on from the situation where they had to be charged fully first time or they'd never work.

Hey, it's not an iPhone - you'll get weeks out it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Giless

OK, so my Mam and I are big bookworms and are looking to get a Kindle each but we have a question or two. Hope you guys can help.

If I buy from the US Store, where do I buy books from, the UK or US Kindle Store? My mam loves the latest chick-lit and as a lot of these writers are Irish it'd be much easier to get it from the UK Kindle Store and cheaper too.

Can you link multiple accounts to multiple Kindles? For example if my friend has a kindle too can we share our collections and future purchases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Giless wrote: »
    OK, so my Mam and I are big bookworms and are looking to get a Kindle each but we have a question or two. Hope you guys can help.

If I buy from the US Store, where do I buy books from, the UK or US Kindle Store? My mam loves the latest chick-lit and as a lot of these writers are Irish it'd be much easier to get it from the UK Kindle Store and cheaper too.

Can you link multiple accounts to multiple Kindles? For example if my friend has a kindle too can we share our collections and future purchases?

I have bought from the US store, have changed my details to the UK store and all ok, books are top notch and cheap as chips.. :)

I think you can link them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Im on the verge of joining the kindle crew, never thought i would! :D

Just wondering where is best to purchase from, i will be flying out of Dublin at the end of the month, should i wait and hope its in stock in duty free? And will i be able to download a few books while in the airport? Is there free wifi anywhere if i dont get the 3G version?

Or should i order now from Amazon? I can order from the UK one, free super saver delivery, so it comes to 152GBP/€172 and have it delivered to my DeliverMe address, so thats another €20 on top to have it delivered down south.

Or go with the .com, which comes to $245/€170 all in, with the customs deposit......im assuming we dont get that deposit back even if the package is not stopped by customs?

Im planning on changing my country settings on amazon to UK so i can buy ebooks from the UK kindle store, so im assuming a kindle bought from .com wont affect that in anyway? As in the unit itself is not region specific?

The only reason im considering buying the kindle from .uk is to get the 3 pin charger, but im thinking now that the usb plug i have to charge my iphone would work with the .com one anyway wouldnt it?

(i know, im answering half these questions myself as i go along! :p )

And just one other thing, overall is it better to purchase from Amazon from a customer service point of view, in that if the screen breaks they will most likely exchange it, but if i buy in duty free for the sake of saving a few quid i could be left high and dry should something happen?

Ok, any thoughts anyone??

Thanks in advance.

Mine was only €127 at the airport so it really will be the cheapest option. You just buy it in Dixons (after you go thru security) who I'd imagine have plenty of stock - they only stock the Kindle reader and also sell all the accessories.

Regarding wifi, I couldn't get any free wi-fi at the departure gate where I opened the box, but there were options in the shopping area and in the main terminal itself. (I seem to recall you might be able to get a password from Information before going thru the gate?)

I still wouldn't get the 3G model, though. The morning I opened it in the airport would have been the only time I ever needed it. I've about 10 books on it now so I won't ever be stuck for reading on it ever again.

Enjoy - be prepared to buy a paperback in case!

Don't know about accounts and whatnot. Or warranties. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You can ring and reserve with dixons in the airport. Their number is 018447198. Works out the cheapest. In terms of returning it, not 100% but you should be able to return it to any other dixons in Ireland. I bought other stuff past security and was told I could return it to any other shop.

Free (working) wifi in the airport is limited. Some of the bars have it but the only one I managed to get working was in terminal 1 beside burger king. Others cost 3 per half hour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Anyone buy one at Cork airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Mine was 123€ in T2 yesterday, some airport voucher thingy was applied to the price. Reserved the day before I was passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Is it available in T1 and T2?

Im flying through the old terminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

There is a Dixons in both terminals, the phone number for T1 is above from a previous post. Ring it and reserve it for collection on the day you intend to go through.
    Mine was reserved and my name on it for my collection, very good service.

Advertisement