Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Dublin in July...

Options
  • 27-05-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I left Ireland at three years old. I am going back this summer with my teenaged daughter for the first time. We will not have a car (can't imagine driving on the other side of the road, I am a hazard here in the US!). We are staying in the center of Dubllin. I have no idea what we will do or see, what parts are safe or scary, or how easy it is to get around. I am used to a large city , but what can I expect to find in Dublin?

Thanks in advance,

AG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a very safe city. The South part of the city is more tourist friendly and the North side is somewhat grimier, but cheaper and well worth a visit. Most Museums and galleries are free. There is a heroine problem, but the addicts are easily recognised and avoided. It's the type of city you can ask directions in, people are friendly. There are various tours around the city, a novel Viking splash tour or the typical European city hop on - hop off tour, this is excellent.

You won't need a car unless you are leaving the city, if you are it's advisable to hire one. A weekend will do for Dublin (or any city for that matter).

There is a serious pub culture in Dublin, it can be great fun, drinks, music etc... how old is your daughter? And most importantly, what are both of your interests?

When are you over? There could be some shows or concerts that your daughter might like... have you sorted accommodation?

It's pretty cool, you and your teenage daughter traveling together by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 agnesd

I am looking at the tours now... I do have about 100 cousins (:eek:) in Dublin that I have never met... looking forward to that. Having no extended family here; that will be a wonderful thing for both of us. I do police work here in the states... so I am not that worried about the safety issue, but one can never be too careful.

We are staying in a nice hotel ( and probably 50 different cousins houses as they cannot understand why on earth we would stay in a hotel, :D). Daughter is just 16, she can't go to the pubs, can she?

We will be there for two weeks; starting the first of July.

Thanks so much for your tips and suggestions! I am looking forward to this as the trip of a lifetime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the legal age for drinking is 18

i would say avoid temple bar, its fake. go outside the city on the dart train. howth on the northside is a beautiful seaside village

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

She'll be grand for getting into pubs so don't worry about that, she won't be able to purchase alcohol. If I was you I'd make some time to travel to the west coast if at all possible. Kerry is beautiful.

agnesd wrote: »
    I do police work here in the states... so I am not that worried about the safety issue

You will be fine.
    We are staying in a nice hotel ( and probably 50 different cousins houses as they cannot understand why on earth we would stay in a hotel, :D). Daughter is just 16, she can't go to the pubs, can she?

Irish houses are smaller than what you might be used to, you will need you own space and time. It's all very well getting invites to stay in peoples houses, but two nights is enough, you want your own shower, toilet etc. Irish people tent to invite people to stay over with great intentions and then when you arrive at their doorstep it's a bit of a surprise!! So... getting a hotel is the wisest thing you could do. Do go to Temple bar during the day, it's nice, really good buskers, souvenir shops, great atmosphere and some shops for your daughters age group. The pubs are good fun, good music sessions but a tad expensive. For a decent music session there is a pub in Smithfield that does good live Irish Music.
    We will be there for two weeks; starting the first of July.

You will regret not going West. It's a small island, it's not like traveling across the states and we have a decent road infrastructure. Think strongly about a four night trip in Sligo, Kerry, Cork or Clare, this will make it a real trip of a lifetime. I holiday in the West all the time, any info, just ask.

Again, any interests in music, shows, history that you and your daughter have, just post them up here and someone will point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Tours out West, no car...

http://www.paddywagontours.com/tours.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Daughter is just 16, she can't go to the pubs, can she?

She can get in for a Club Rock Shandy. She must leave by 9pm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lahm wrote: »
    She must leave by 9pm though.

That's only really enforced in cities though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was in a pub in harolds cross last night that didnt throw out a mother with her 2 sons til last orders (00:30)

the 2 lads were about 11 and 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

This is Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 agnesd

Would it be easier\cheaper to get an Irish sim card for my phone or to just buy a phone in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

There's a good "places to see" thread here. It's from April but the information should still be good.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056227044

Getting around Dublin is pretty easy. A lot of things are within walking distance. There's plenty of public transport options for things that are a bit further (you can use the site http:\\hittheroad.ie to see various public transport options for travelling between two locations in the city).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Would it be easier\cheaper to get an Irish sim card for my phone or to just buy a phone in Dublin?

Assuming your current phone is unlocked and capable of using an irish SIM, it's cheaper to go for this route. you can go into most phone shops and ask for a prepaid sim for free and then top it up as you go along.

To buy a phone will cost you about €40 for a basic model

Advertisement