Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do snooker players have to pay tax on their winnings?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I presume they have to pay tax on their sponsorship money but the money they get from winnings would it not be exempt from taxation due to it being 'prize money'? Any thoughts? Or is prize money taxable? (Prob varies by region but I'm talking about money won in the UK World Championship/Masters say for example)

Oh another question as well as that say they win the money in China do they have to pay the tax to the Chinese government or what is the story?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

They sure do have to pay tax to HM Customs, normally when a player wins an event, he'll receive a check a few weeks later from his management/ manager with the said tax deductions taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

zack01 wrote: »
    They sure do have to pay tax to HM Customs, normally when a player wins an event, he'll receive a check a few weeks later from his management/ manager with the said tax deductions taken off.

No - I don't think this is the case

The player gets the full amount but is required to declare any prize win and pay tax accordingly

That said, players in the past have declared residency in low tax countries to get round this. The time they spend in the uk will be restricted but is likely just enough to play their required tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You pay tax on where you're domiciled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Like many high earners - I’m sure many actually ‘live’ in Isle of Man, Guernsey, Malta etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

Dinny must be advising them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

There's a reason why Peter Ebdon moved to Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't know why your making it specific to snooker? Lots of other sports, of course.

Advertisement