Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance Question

Options
  • 27-05-2011 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there,

I was searching everywhere for a answer to this and have not come across anything and this also may be a complete laughable at question but said would see anyway.

I'm just after completing my Exams for my first year of college. I am a full time student and will proceed onto second year in September. I am now at home roughly 3 weeks and my parents have decided they want me to move out for the summer as they say I can no longer live of them . I have a part time job where I work 4 days a month (Every Saturday) and recieve €50 each day so in total I have €200 a month.

I was wondering if there is any aid in helping me live in my own place for the summer as €200 is not near enough between rent, bills and food and I'm also still repaying student loans which I took out to put me through college in the first place. I did recieve the grant for my year in college but naturally thats not available during the summer. They are insitint on me moving out and I dont know what to do.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

AFAIK you have to be living away from home for a certain length of time before you qualify for rent allowance. You should talk to your welfare officer though as there may be some sort of emergency system they can put you on.

That or see if the place you are working can give you any more hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You need to get a full time summer job. You won't get anything from the state as you are a student. Your parents probably know this but if not make sure they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

What you need is to get a job for summer if you can. What your parents need is a kick in the ass too. Did you suddenly start eating from morning til evening and now they can't afford the food or somthing? What did they do while you were in school for last decade?

Tell them it's just not feasible that you can move out and live on your own. Try get another job and then give them some money every week as a way of paying towards your bills and food while your there. They can't suddenly just decide to fob you off onto the state.

If you wanted to be able to live on your own you would need to be working and earning about 300 after tax to be able to rent a room and pay bills etc and keep your head above water with some little change to spare. You won't be able to save mcuh on that either.

Advertisement