Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a hedge outside front wall?

• 27-05-2011 6:53pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi Folks,

I am in a bungalow out the country.I have neighbours to the left and right and all our front walls are in line. These are approx 9 feet from edge of road.
    My site is small however and I have no room at the back. It is a funny shape. Triangular, which results in a 165 feet front wall and lawn, but nothing behind.
    I want to build a little stone wall about 3 feet from the front wall. In front of the front wall. This wall will be 2 feet high. I will fill this space between the 2 walls with soil and plant some shrubs and a hedge.
    I know its a lot of work but we need to use the front garden as our main garden for the kids. We are on a busy road so noise and safety would dictate a hedge here. I also think a hedge is nicer than a high wall.
    Instead of loosing another 2 or 3 feet from inside I will be taking it from outside. A car is 4 feet so 9 feet outside the wall(which I own?) seams a lot.

I suppose the question is am I allowed to do this? What are the building regs from front wall to edge of road? Do the neighbours have a right to complain/object to this?

All ideas and opinions appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,

John

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement