Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Ladys Well Shrine opposite Murphys Brewery

Options
  • 27-05-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Recently i happened to be walking out to the new Revenue offices and passed by this little shrine. It is totally neglected and full of beer cans etc. I think the inscription says it was erected by employees of the Brewery and in view of its historical significance it would be nice if it was tidied up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'm not taking the piss but would you not head down there with a few bin bags and tidy it up yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

dewdrop wrote: »
    Recently i happened to be walking out to the new Revenue offices and passed by this little shrine. It is totally neglected and full of beer cans etc. I think the inscription says it was erected by employees of the Brewery and in view of its historical significance it would be nice if it was tidied up.

No offence meant but as far as I am concerned there are two many religious statues in this country as it is.

My personal opinion is that they are a reminder of the servitude we had to the Catholic church and the quicker they disappear the better.

There may not be to many who share my opinion but I cant stand driving around the country looking at them. Let them go to rack and ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

It was a great drinking spot back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Something can have a religous significance in the past and be part of our heritage today even though were no longer "devout". Id be agnostic myself but think things like this should be maintained. Their a window into our cities past.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

I think the brewery was called our ladys well brewery at some stage and this did not deter people from enjoying their Murphys. I am not from this area but my immediate reaction was sadness on seeing the rubbish...religion did not enter my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

cork45 wrote: »
    I'm not taking the piss but would you not head down there with a few bin bags and tidy it up yourself?

Lol I have to say this was my own reaction too - you can be sure the council won't do anything anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Hah op dont worry i theres a mention of religion,Government or FF each being a boards.ie taboo you will get a persons opinion on the matter :pac:

But yeah guys its heritage.And tbh having any site made for public gaze in such a state as this its not very right,only highlighting how dirty the city is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps we need to invite a dignitory to Cork again, with Murphy's on the itinerary. Nothing says post-Christian society than empty beer cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

There are no locals living there any more, this statue used to be the site of veneration and processions of locals and would have been upkept they them, just like most of the others that are dotted around almost every corporation estate.

They are just 'there' by and large now and just an ageing few cleaning and repainting them, soon, even these will fall into decay as the [voluntary] caretakers die off.

It had been suggested that the statue on the watercourse was to be moved, but, but, but .. no one really had an interest in pushing for funds for this.

The well? Don't know if it is still there today but we used to get water from it and it was considered 'Holy Water' way back in those days as mentioned above.

I used to work in a service station at the junction of Dublin Hill and the Mallow Road and the boss used to buy paint for the statue and grotto sited there and locals would paint it and he'd even hand out a few shillings and host a pint or two in the Bowlers. It always had visitors, someone would 'mind' it for an hour every day and on the novena nights it would be crowded, as would the many others, including the one on the Watercourse road.

I would give it another 40-50 and with luck all this religious claptrap will be a distant past memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Show Time wrote: »
    I would give it another 40-50 and with luck all this religious claptrap will be a distant past memory.

To be replaced by our new symbols I assume... empty apartment blocks?

I am no believer but seeing things like this being destroyed just shows the rot in this generation.

Ludo wrote: »
    To be replaced by our new symbols I assume... empty apartment blocks?

I am no believer but seeing things like this being destroyed just shows the rot in this generation.
    Better then living in fear of the catholic church and all that they stood for in Ireland from the 20's to the 90's.
    Myself i have a strong distrust for any form of religion or cults to use the correct term for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Shame the narrow minded views of some. I'm not religious but to suggest we should destroy our past is idiotic.

If we took that approach we would have no culture, Should we destroy Newgrange and Clonmacnoise too?

Show Time wrote: »
    Better then living in fear of the catholic church and all that they stood for in Ireland from the 20's to the 90's.
    Myself i have a strong distrust for any form of religion or cults to use the correct term for them.

I'm 30 and never feared the Church in the 80s and 90s, perhaps you have been watching too many documentaries. How old are you?

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm 30 and never feared the Church in the 80s and 90s, perhaps you have been watching too many documentaries. How old are you?
    Old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

worked on the redevelopment of the well ,over 10 years ago.for cork city council, no expense spared at the time but once work finished they just neglected it , still doing the same today . Do the job then forget it!That being said as a northsider I find it annoying that( most) of similar type jobs when done on the southside are not left to wreck and ruin by the council!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

kinvara64 wrote: »
    I find it annoying that( most) of similar type jobs when done on the southside are not left to wreck and ruin by the council!

Maybe there are more religious Cllrs. on the Southside? Maybe we don't wreck things, like the Northside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

It's certainly a shame that it has come to this given the years of care and attention it was paid over the decades.
    While accepting that not everyone holds the same views about these things, it is all a part of the rich history of our city- good, bad and indifferent.
    Frankly, I'm becoming a bit sick of this rampant anti-religion propaganda invading every part of our culture. Smells like a concerted effort to whitewash our history and degrade those who have beliefs other than a generic, populist, anti-catholic viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

If the plaque says it was erected by the brewery then why doesn't someone ask them to look after it? I doubt that the council look after any of the small religious grottos / shrines (as opposed to historical / touristy sites) around the city anymore, its probably more a parish, local residents responsibility. There is a grotto in my park (on the southside) and the residents look after it. Its an ex-council estate built in the fifties. There is a residents association and they look after the grotto - cutting of the grass, the painting, electricity bill for the lights, flowers and all that craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

cork45 wrote: »

was thinkin the exact same

• Advertisement
Advertisement