Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self certification

Options
  • 27-05-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm a qualified electrician who has started building his own house. I used to be ECSSA registered but didn't renew this year due to lack of work (I'm in full time employment also). I've heard a few times on the grape vine that an electrician can cert his own house, can anybody verify this and if so explain to me how I go about it please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm a qualified electrician who has started building his own house. I used to be ECSSA registered but didn't renew this year due to lack of work (I'm in full time employment also). I've heard a few times on the grape vine that an electrician can cert his own house, can anybody verify this and if so explain to me how I go about it please?

Thanks.

Yes, I have heard this also. Why don't you ring the ECSSA and ask them? I'm sure they will advise you as you are a former member and they are a helpful bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Very true,

But, alas, I am an impatient fool and it friday evening and I dont want to wait for an answer till Monday!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Yes you can pay ecssa to certify your installation ,they will send an inspector to check all is up to regs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

You don't even have to be a qualified electrician at all, in your own home you can do your own electrical work from top to bottom, but you must get it certified independently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i couldn't see any non-qualified person complying fully with rules really

as it's hard enough for guys working all the time to keep an eye on them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes you can pay ecssa to certify your installation ,they will send an inspector to check all is up to regs etc.

I think that if you are a qualified electrician and it is your own house you don't have to pay anyone to cert it as you are permitted to do this yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Can you not get them to certify any installation you do, by paying them and have them inspect it? I must be too long away from it all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

If youre not registered and insured you cant issue a cert (they wont pass them on to the ESB) which means you you cant get supply hookups or ESB moification work done (meter, tails upgrade etc).

However if you require no ESB work (unusual) then i see no reason why you cant issue to customer part of the cert to yourself which is the handy bit when selling a house.

Personally i think you should take the third option and pay ECSSA to have it right. The cost is very reasonable, too reasonable infact, they are undercutting contractors.

P.S. If you have been out of the game for a while you should know there have been alot of changes recently in the regs. If your work isnt compliant they wont cert, tell you what you need to do to make it right and still look for money.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Can you not get them to certify any installation you do, by paying them and have them inspect it?

Yes, I have done this in the past myself.
    Insurance, registration etc. is not required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, I have done this in the past myself.
    Insurance, registration etc. is not required.

I have myself also, just not in a fair while now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement