Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop - Virus removal

• 27-05-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up a nasty virus and despite trying CCleaner, Malwaybytes and Spyware blaster I cant shift it.

I think it's time to call on someone who knows their job.

Anyone know from first hand experience a reliable repair tech in or near the city, perferably someone who doesnt charge an arm and leg for their services.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Id just reinstall the OS if I was you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try Spybot Search and Destroy.

Also if you are running on Windows XP, Vista or 7 then by default there should be the option to do a Windows restore of the operating system back to a time before the virus was installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

PM sent... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

I agree with bazz26 above. I've used the restore feature on my windows computers before...very handy!

If you have windows 7 go to control panel, system and security, back up and restore, restore files from backup then follow the instuctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Did you try Microsoft Security Essentials ? - Its a free AVG - and a good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

I agree with bazz26 above. I've used the restore feature on my windows computers before...very handy!

If you have windows 7 go to control panel, system and security, back up and restore, restore files from backup then follow the instuctions.
    i'm not much of a techy but will i lose any files if i back up and restore working on vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

tsoparno wrote: »
    i'm not much of a techy but will i lose any files if i back up and restore working on vista

Nope horse on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

tsoparno wrote: »

I'm no expert either but from what I've used of it, if you're restoring you will only lose the files/programs that have you saved/installed from the time of your last back up to now.

If you are doing a new back up then you wont lose anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

And when you restore uninstall whatever AV you have and install MSE, all sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Another piece of software handy to have is a root kit killer.
    If you get a trojan horse that your virus protection fails to fix try
    starting in safe mode and running this app:
    http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks for all your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

phog wrote: »
    I picked up a nasty virus and despite trying CCleaner, Malwaybytes and Spyware blaster I cant shift it....

Aren't they primarily anti malware/spyware and not antivirus apps? Did you try any antivirus apps. Often one will find one thing and the next app something different.

What virus is it?

BostonB wrote: »
    Aren't they primarily anti malware/spyware and not antivirus apps? Did you try any antivirus apps. Often one will find one thing and the next app something different.

What virus is it?

It's called XP internet security 2011 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

...and another possible solution:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/29889

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Worst case Scenario. I will supply you with a copy of Symantec Antivirus - Corporate Edition ( No License Key needed so not piracy mods ).

It will not work on Windows 7 though. Anything older and you're in business.

Are you still in possession of your reinstallation CD for your OS?

Berty wrote: »
    Worst case Scenario. I will supply you with a copy of Symantec Antivirus - Corporate Edition ( No License Key needed so not piracy mods ).

It will not work on Windows 7 though. Anything older and you're in business.

Are you still in possession of your reinstallation CD for your OS?

Thanks - I think I'll get it sorted later today, if not I may be in touch.

I know I have the CD but where :o

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've removed this virus before, it shouldn't be too hard. You need to have malwarebytes downloaded using another computer, and put on a flash drive.

Reboot infected computer into safe mode using F8.

Actually, here is a very good article with clear instructions on how to remove it step by step.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

If you're still stuck after that, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

bazz26 wrote: »
    Also if you are running on Windows XP, Vista or 7 then by default there should be the option to do a Windows restore of the operating system back to a time before the virus was installed.

...but the virus could have infected the windows restore backups. There's no way of trusting the laptop once it's been infected.

Safest option is to reformat the drive, cryptographically wipe the drive using DBAN, run spinrite on it, then reinstall the OS.

Hope you've got your files backed up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

...but the virus could have infected the windows restore backups. There's no way of trusting the laptop once it's been infected.

Safest option is to reformat the drive, cryptographically wipe the drive using DBAN, run spinrite on it, then reinstall the OS.

I think thats overkill tbh , I have fixed a good few pc's with this type of virus and have not needed to resort to a format , reinstall or restore . Once it's well cleaned after you get it stopped and out you won't have any problems .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

tippman1 wrote: »

That particular website and vendor has a very low trust rating from WOT. I'd be wary of downloading anything from the site.
    Spyware Doctor is fine in itself. Google for it separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Could have infected all backups. Nuking the machine seems a bit overkill IMO.

You can nearly always wipe a virus. You can delete the restore backups and recreate new system restore points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Berty wrote: »

Not pinging or warning you, but just because something doesn't need a license key doesn't mean it doesn't need a license. Symantec Corp Edition usually links into a central server for updates, that server will need to be licensed for whatever no on client connect to it, sometimes the install may have a tracker in it to see how many times it has been used, so whereas it doesn't cost to install, it will cost someone.

Personally I would recommend Avast, picks up most nasties and is free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

op, did you run malwarebytes with windoze in safe mode, this is the proper way to remove the virus, safe mode can be accessed by restarting the pc and pressing F8 (usually ,depends on your model)

if your still stuck, i can look at it for you !

I dont have formal credentials ! but I am a techie nerd, computer science and software developer student in UL,
    I eat virus's for breakfast

no charge, pm me if you want

a system reinstall is complete overkill done by n00bies,
    sledge hammer to a nut ! try remove the virus in windoze safe mode, !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Reinstalling the OS to remove a malware or virus is crazy without even trying other steps mentioned already. Reinstalling the OS should be a last resort not the first step.

Thanks for all your help and, I'm sorted a special thanks to xsiborg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

iPwnage wrote: »
    a system reinstall is complete overkill done by n00bies,
    sledge hammer to a nut ! try remove the virus in windoze safe mode, !!

So, so true!

Glad to see you got sorted OP. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭Villa05

phog wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help and, I'm sorted a special thanks to xsiborg.

Hi Phog, Which solution worked?

Villa05 wrote: »
    Hi Phog, Which solution worked?

xsiborg had to do a bit of work on it.

From a laymans pov, I think he ot Malwarebytes to remove the virus, it didn't work for me in safe mode but I don't think I was downloading the most up to date version as my executable files were corrupt.

Anyway it's tiptops now and MSE is now being used as my AV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭Villa05

xsiborg wrote: »
    PM sent... ;)

Hi xsiborg, My brother and neighbour have the same issue on their laptops (XP internet security 2011), I have tried some of the solutions suggested on this thread but no joy. Could you help out please,

Thanks

Advertisement