Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass seed wont grow!

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I planted grass seed approx 6 weeks ago and its only started to come up in patches, you can still see seed sitting on top of the soil that hasn't taken yet, will this seed start going?

I didn't give it a light rake after I planted the seed and I think this might be my mistake.

Problem I have now is that the weeds are starting to outgrow the grass.....should I spray and redo or wait a while.

The seed is a mix of sport seed (i bought it from a guy that does pitches) in two 25kg bags, its been sitting in the garage over winter but was kept dry.

Could the cold be the reason?

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

6 weeks ago the weather was very dry... did you water it to get it going??
    Don't let the weeds get out of control, you need to make a call soon if there is enough grass growing to be worth sticking with.. ... You could try oversowing it again with seed..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Could the cold be the reason?

J

Very possibly. And these drying winds will slow down germination too.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Its growing in patches at the moment and not very well, weeds have really established in some parts.

If I was to spray again would I need to rotavate again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Its growing in patches at the moment and not very well, weeds have really established in some parts.

If I was to spray again would I need to rotavate again?

Do you mean spray the weeds?
    You would only need to rotavate if the soil has become compacted. Treat the weeds, put down some more grass seed on the bare patches and keep moist - this should sort it out. If not, there may be problems with the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Its not a good idea to sow grass in dry weather, as it's already done water it well on a daily basis, try pulling weeds by hand if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Well I was thinking about spraying the lot again as the weeds seem to e taking over. Is there a spray I can get that will kill the weeds and not the grass?

The seed was planted at the start of April so it was very wet when seeded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are Feed & Weed products you can use to feed the grass and kill the weeds but I'm not sure you can use them on such young grass.

Advertisement