Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 14:Bisping V Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wait, hold on, what does this mean for Miller v Aaron Simpson?

I have to say, I think Bisping v Sonnen would've been incredible! Mayhem is awesome and is always great TV, but the genuine anomosity between Bisping and Sonnen would've been TV Gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Helwani said the Mayhem/Simpson fight is off now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mayhem is going to get decisioned. Just like every BJJ black belt the UFC hands to Bisping to out-jab.

Interesting, they'd want to do a complete overhaul of the show first though. Something like Bellator where they take some current UFC fighters in a stacked division such as Lightweight and put em all in a house to fight for a title shot. That would be awesome. Unrealistic but awesome.

The quality of the fighters coming out of TUF isn't as good as it used to be. Feather/Bantam might be the exception because there haven't been any previous UF's at those divisions but Welterweight/Lightweight/Middleweight are all played out nowadays, the prospects don't seem to be able to live up to standards once they get into TUF.

Look at this season, the only people I could see in the UFC's Welter division would be Ramsey and Tony but Ramsey's last fight was at Lightweight so there's a good chance he'll drop division after the show. Tony could be a good prospect but it'd be 2-3 years before he can even think of challenging the Welterweight elite, or even the mid level guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

The UFC tried something like that before i think, may have been season 2. Would like to see similar myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

SDTimeout wrote: »
    The UFC tried something like that before i think, may have been season 2. Would like to see similar myself.

I think it was season 4 when Matt Serra won and got to fight GSP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I agree the show does need an overhaul. It might not take all that much to bring it back to what it was.
    Maybe they should do an international one and have it held somewhere in Europe to bring in some more international talent.
    It only takes some small change to mix it up a bit. One thing is for sure, they need to bring back fighting to get into the house. It was such a let down this season the way they didn't have to fight for a spot in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I agree the standard of fighter has gotten so poor. Hopefully the 135 and 145 might be a bit of an increase but all the other divisions have been over harvested. The first few seasons the winners would be immediate mid level guys in the division. Lately the winners are given easy fights to try increase their reputation and build them up and they eventually loose to a divisional gatekeeper (Exception of Bader).

I'd love to see them go back to the TUF 4 format but I think it wouldn't work because back then the fighters saw it as a great opportunity to get a better training camp. Now most UFC guys are happy in their camp.

Xlami wrote: »
    I'd love to see them go back to the TUF 4 format but I think it wouldn't work because back then the fighters saw it as a great opportunity to get a better training camp. Now most UFC guys are happy in their camp.

I think if you put out an email saying "Lads, we know you had brutal UFC records, but how about a second shot? 6 weeks in Las Vegas and if you win the tournie not only are you back in the UFC but we'll give you $100k and an immediate shot at the title"........ yo wouldn't exactly have a shortage of takers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think if you put out an email saying "Lads, we know you had brutal UFC records, but how about a second shot? 6 weeks in Las Vegas and if you win the tournie not only are you back in the UFC but we'll give you $100k and an immediate shot at the title"........ yo wouldn't exactly have a shortage of takers!

Yes I agree sorry I was more talking about current guys on the roster. TUF 4 had some guys still with fights on a contract but yeah I agree I'd love to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent news, can't wait to see Bisping talk complete shiite only to have Mayhem take the piss out of him at every step making Bisping even more pissed off. I'll be glued to every episode!

I agree, the entertainment value of Miller and Bisping will be great. Looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

I agree, the entertainment value of Miller and Bisping will be great. Looking forward to this.

To be honest I'm not looking forward to the show. I prefer them both as fighters than entertainers.

Bisping is kind of a dork and a bit of an eijit - but a very effective fighter.

Mayhem, is the kind of reason I wouldn't move to the states - but again I fighter I really respect.

I can see Mayhem winning with superior grappling when they do fight but I might avoid the "tired" TUF b)llsh!t and just watch the fight. I've seen enough dyed hair, mohaked duuuuuuudes wrecking houses after three cans to do me for a lifetime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd buy the fight but not the show, TUF needs to be rethought.

Mind you of it's doing the numbers if it's not broke don't fix it comes into play :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Mayhem is going to get decisioned. Just like every BJJ black belt the UFC hands to Bisping to out-jab.
    What are you talking about?
    Of all bispings fights, the only person that describes is Dan Miller?

Mellor wrote: »
    What are you talking about?
    Of all bispings fights, the only person that describes is Dan Miller?

Fair enough, maybe the outjabbing only applies to Miller, but they do constantly give him people whose strength is BJJ because his sub defence is excellent and it's a good way to build him as a contender.

Sinosic, Schaefer, McCarthy, Kang?

OK Kang is a bit more well rounded but still primarily BJJ.

He out-ran/jabbed Leben, Hamill and almost Silva too but you're right that only Miller fits my original description.

Fair enough, maybe the outjabbing only applies to Miller, but they do constantly give him people whose strength is BJJ because his sub defence is excellent and it's a good way to build him as a contender.

OK Kang is a bit more well rounded but still primarily BJJ.

He out-ran/jabbed Leben, Hamill and almost Silva too but you're right that only Miller fits my original description.

Well Sinosic and Schaefer were his fist two fights after getting a UFC contract. McCarty was made a fool of by Bisping and Kang was also stopped.

I would like to see him finish guys more often. But normally its the other strikers he goes 3 rounds with. Looking forward to Miller fight though, stil wish it had of been Sonnen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

I heard rumours that Mayhem is about to sign a massive deal with Adidas - that has to be the WTF moment of the week right?

F

Kind of agree but not quite. You've almost got it. The craic with the Sinosic, Schaefer and McCarthy fights was that they wanted to put him in there with terribly inferior fighters and to make him look good, whether their styles be BJJ or Balet!

Kang was a decent match up but was about 3 years too late for Kang.

But, seriously, I don't know one person who heard Bisping was fighting McCarthy and didn't say "Ah what the f*ck???".

But it's pretty standard for all TUF winners to fight one or two nobodys after the show.
    Bisping's fights after the show where;
    Sinosic, Schaefer, then
    Hammill (the LHW gatekeeper)
    Rashad (the contender) - a loss
    McCarty (the low ranked guy after stepping down)
    Chris Leben (the MW gate keeper)
    Dan Henderson (the MW contender)

Pretty standard stuff for any TUF winner.
    Quick question, of all TUF winners WW or MW and above how many are still fighting at their TUF weight? I'd guess about half go that route

• Advertisement

Kind of agree but not quite. You've almost got it. The craic with the Sinosic, Schaefer and McCarthy fights was that they wanted to put him in there with terribly inferior fighters and to make him look good, whether their styles be BJJ or Balet!

That's my point. They will continue to do when they can.

Brian Stann would have made a better opponent, (in terms of current progress in the division) but he'd take Bisping's head off. Bisping reckons he's next in line for a title shot after Okami gets his turn. Does anyone honestly think he deserves it? He hasn't beaten any of the top MW contenders.

I'd bet my house that if he does have to have another fight after Mayhem, then he'll get Maia because that's about the only fight against a title challenger that he can win.

The UFC have long wanted to try a PPV in the UK and if they can push Bisping to a title shot then they'll have their test dummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

You should probably spoiler that, it was me that posted it and i posted that
    he's on the show fighting to get into the house, so are all of those people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Adjusted now Mellor forgot about spoilers i will just have to watch and find out!!

I'm hoping this season lives up to its potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The Left Hook

I m looking forward to it , but i cannot call the fight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

when will this be airing?

adamski8 wrote: »
    when will this be airing?

I think it Sept 21st in the states. Not sure about here though, hopefully its the same time though.

I just saw a min ago that Tuf14 will be shown on FX and so will the Bisping v Miller fight. No date yet for the show though.

• Advertisement

Dean09 wrote: »
    I just saw a min ago that Tuf14 will be shown on FX and so will the Bisping v Miller fight. No date yet for the show though.

Wow!

Dean09 wrote: »

Don't mean to state the obvious, but this is FX UK? We already know that it's showing on FX in the States.

EDIT, ignore that, just saw it confirmed on Zelaznik's facebook. No word on when they will air though, live or a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I wonder if FX UK will be the home to all of the FOX UFC programming.

Don't mean to state the obvious, but this is FX UK? We already know that it's showing on FX in the States.

EDIT, ignore that, just saw it confirmed on Zelaznik's facebook. No word on when they will air though, live or a few days later.

Yeah sorry I prob should've clarified, its FX UK. As far as I know they'll be releasing the full details about dates and times on Monday.

Well, not a bad solution. Remains to be seen how close the UK episodes are to the US ones although Zelaznik says they will be close and the last season's episodes were pretty good. (And good ol MZ would never just spin a yarn to keep people happy...) :rolleyes:

I'd imagine FX will get the Fox event and any other non ESPN deal events until a long term deal is completed. ESPN couldn't come to an agreement with the UFC for UFC on Versus and I suspect that may have been part of a bigger rift between the 2.

With Fox being closely related to Sky I wouldn't be surprised to see the normal events moving to Sky Sports once the ESPN deal ends.

Well I always presumed it was FX UK because, hasn't TUF 14 already been comfirmed for Spike TV?

• Advertisement

Well I always presumed it was FX UK because, hasn't TUF 14 already been comfirmed for Spike TV?

True. I'm too tired to make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Remains to be seen how close the UK episodes are to the US ones although Zelaznik says they will be close and the last season's episodes were pretty good.

I'd imagine FX will get the Fox event and any other non ESPN deal events until a long term deal is completed. ESPN couldn't come to an agreement with the UFC for UFC on Versus and I suspect that may have been part of a bigger rift between the 2.

Last TUF I think was shown the next night(less than 24hrs) after the states? Cant ask for any better than that really, its not as if they are gonna show it in uk/Ireland before the US.

Didnt the UFC/ESPN dispute only effect 1 ufc on versus show(Hardy)? Which ended up being shown on their website(or by download for us poor folk who had to work early on the monday morning :p)

Devastator wrote: »
    Didnt the UFC/ESPN dispute only effect 1 ufc on versus show(Hardy)? Which ended up being shown on their website(or by download for us poor folk who had to work early on the monday morning :p)

As far as I know it's not a dispute as such. The ESPN deal was for all UFC events that were currently on Spike/PPV. When the UFC added the Versus events, and now the Fox events, these were simply not part of the contract so if ESPN wants them they have to negotiate a separate deal.

A deal could not be reached for the Hardy-Lytle fight so I'm not sure they'll be able to agree for the Cain-JDS one either.

It starts next Thursday.
    jones-rampage-avatar_normal.JPG
    @ufcUFC
    New TUF w/ @Bisping and @mayhemmiller starts on @SpikeTV next Wednesday in the US; next Thursday on @fxukcom network in UK and GO! in Aus

mayhem-miller-and-michael-bisping-trade-verbal-blows/

Thought this was very funny from Bisping
    what's going to happen when they meet December 3 in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale

Miller (after Bisping said Miller was praising him, trying to be nice): Don't get me wrong—I think you're way worse of an idiot than I am, and I'm going to smash your face and choke you. I'm just saying.

Bisping: Nice to see you've been warming up on your sister. I definitely won't be practicing guillotine escapes. If she can escape your guillotine, I should be good.

• Advertisement

Nice video. The whole TUF thing has been dying a death over the last few years, hopefully this season will bring it back! Fresh weight classes mean a fresh talent pool!

Also, the lads are fighting the preliminary fights in Mandalay Bay? Nice!

Bisping wrote:
    Bisping on whether "Mayhem" got under Bisping's skin the way Jorge Rivera had prior to UFC 127

"It all depends. Miller's annoying for a couple different reasons. He's idiotic; he just comes up with stupid **** constantly. Rivera was different because it wasn't just him; it was his entire team. They were cool, calm and collected about it, made videos, and they crossed the line; they talked about family and stuff like that, stuff that I don't really want to go into and drag up again. It takes a pretty low individual to do things like that."

"Nice to see you've been warming up on your sister. I definitely won't be practicing guillotine escapes. If she can escape your guillotine, I should be good"
    :rolleyes:

Devastator wrote: »

Also, Paul McVeigh @ 6mins
    I notived those brothers when the cast was announced, I think the UFC is going to try get them both in to the house. Defo make it interesting. The first guys looks like he has a decent size advantage over that blode kid. Adios

Nice video. The whole TUF thing has been dying a death over the last few years, hopefully this season will bring it back! Fresh weight classes mean a fresh talent pool!

Also, the lads are fighting the preliminary fights in Mandalay Bay? Nice!

Yeah with the addition of the lighter weight classes will be great for this season. I think they've exhausted the other weight classes over last few years...well from American fighters.

Don't know what they can do in future to keep it going. I heard possibility of uk Vs austrailia :confused: I'm not sure about that idea, don't know if UK or Austrailian talent pool would be good enough. Maybe if they done continent V continent could bring some quality fighters in from various countries.

I really like the look of having the pre lims in the mandalay bay, was thinking would be great for all the fights to be there but it could take away from the finale if the fighters are in it week in/week out throughout the season.

I'm looking forward to this now :cool:

Scuse my stupidity but I'm too busy to look it up...

I know it's going to be a live fight each Friday for that week's elimination, but is it just the standard fight in the UFC gym, only live? Or is it going to be a mini event with other fights on the card? Would be a good way to deal with the expanding roster and give some more exposure to the smaller weights too. Not sure if it would be feasible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just gonna be in the gym id say

Scuse my stupidity but I'm too busy to look it up...

I know it's going to be a live fight each Friday for that week's elimination, but is it just the standard fight in the UFC gym, only live? Or is it going to be a mini event with other fights on the card? Would be a good way to deal with the expanding roster and give some more exposure to the smaller weights too. Not sure if it would be feasible though.
    Wait, what makes you think it's live?

Mellor wrote: »
    Wait, what makes you think it's live?

Because one of the main announcements in the Fox deal was that TUF would now be run live rather than pre-tapes. The episode each week will feature footage from the previous week, the elimination fight will be live on "Friday Night Fights" on FX (US).

EDIT... I'm talking about next season, not the Bisping vs Miller one. That's probably the confusion, just realised I'm in the wrong thread! My question is still valid though, just not for this season! D'oh...

Because one of the main announcements in the Fox deal was that TUF would now be run live rather than pre-tapes. The episode each week will feature footage from the previous week, the elimination fight will be live on "Friday Night Fights" on FX (US).

EDIT... I'm talking about next season, not the Bisping vs Miller one. That's probably the confusion, just realised I'm in the wrong thread! My question is still valid though, just not for this season! D'oh...

First I've heard of it

So the finalists would only get 1 week inbetween semi final and the grand finale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cmon Mayhem!! Can't wait to see him piss off Bisping beyond belief!

• Advertisement
Advertisement