Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 14:Bisping V Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 horsey24787

Slightly off topic but in Bisping's highlight reel there is a shot of him kneeing someone up against the cage. Anyone know what fight that is from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Slightly off topic but in Bisping's highlight reel there is a shot of him kneeing someone up against the cage. Anyone know what fight that is from?

The Jorge Rivera fight I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are going to have to link to it, or describe it a little better.
    He's had 25 fights, he has kneed quite a few guys up against the cage.
    At a guess, Denis Kang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dissapointing to see Miller gas like that after winning the first round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ush1 wrote: »
    Dissapointing to see Miller gas like that after winning the first round.

Agreed his gas tank left him down badly.

Went to prove imo Bisping do not have KO power.

I was expecting alot more of the first round, great take down kept him there.

Props to Bisping he beat him, which i didn't think he would.

Only good thing about him winning, is that he might be allowed play with the big boys again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dave1982 wrote: »
    Went to prove imo Bisping do not have KO power.

Only good thing about him winning, is that he might be allowed play with the big boys again

To be fair, Mayhem has some chin on him and can take a lot of punishment. Like when he dropped his hands and started taunting Bisping, and Bisping was hitting him with clean shots. Sickening to watch though. If he does get another shot, I wonder who he would be given.

Ya, he seems to fight a mid level fighter, win and then gets thrown in with the top tier boys and gets beat. I mean I think everyone would agree no way does he deserve a title shot aqfter that win but Rogan was almost building it up and would have been very easy to go along with him. Fair play to Bisping to bringing Joe back to the real world. Big respect for him saying he's not ready for a title fight. Jaysus, Silva would make bits of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I want to know what the deal is with that little fairy leap knee Bisping always does.
    When he actually pulls someone down in a thai clinch its almost like he just holds his knee out and gives a little hop :confused: He done it in the 2nd round in this fight and I can remember wondering about it in a few of his fights
    Just remembered he's lucky he didnt connect when he threw the headkick with Miller on 1 knee aswell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bisping is a 5-10th position guy in his weight class. Sonnen, Silva,Munoz all ahead of him for a start. Miller was just a disaster on the night. Knew Dodson would win, had a feeling he would catch TJ with something and then just hop on him. Brandao fight was good too, both guys have a future in my opinion.

Theres no one there for him at the moment.

Would have like to see him against Monoz, belfort , Rumble Jonhson would have been a good fight

Although i still think if Miller had not gassed he would have won, but he did gas so no point crying over spilled milk

Id say its Stann for Bisping next

• Advertisement

Id say its Stann for Bisping next

That would actually be a good matchup.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    That would actually be a good matchup.

Very marketable in the US aswell with Bisping being hated & Stann being the All American. Makes sense too after Stanns loss to Sonnen theyre roughly at the same level plus I cant find any mention of an injury or new fight scheduled for him

Maia vs Bisping anyone? Both coming off wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I would say it was Charlie McCarthy. Think Bisping broke his arm with about 20 knees to the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Mayhem was just outclassed. He never looked like winning that fight. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Anyone else think Yves Edwards was robbed?

I thought he'd won the second round and definitely the third.
    He was clearly disgusted that 2 judges scored it 30-27 to Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Mayhem was just outclassed. He never looked like winning that fight. Very disappointing.

Not sure he was outclassed, his standup was sloppy from the start but Bisping was no better, Miller won the first round for me and Bisping only took control when Miller gassed and stood there with his hands down, even then Bisping took an age to finish him.

Agree it was very disappointing though but from both IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Nice payday as always for Bisping.
    Spike TV Bouts
    Michael Bisping: $275,000 + $150,000 bonus = $425,000 def. Jason "Mayhem" Miller: $45,000
    Diego Brandao: $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. Dennis Bermudez: $8,000
    John Dodson $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. T.J. Dillashaw : $8,000
    Tony Ferguson: $15,000 + $15,000 bonus = $30,000 def. Yves Edwards: $16,000
    Johnny Bedford $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. Louis Gaudinot : $8,000

Preliminary Bouts
    Marcus Brimage: $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. Stephen Bass : $8,000
    John Albert: $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. Dustin Pague: $8,000
    Roland Delorme: $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. Josh Ferguson: $8,000
    Steven Siler: $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. Josh Clopton: $6,000
    Bryan Caraway: $8,000 + $8,000 bonus = $16,000 def. Dustin Neace: $8,000

Post-Fight Bonuses ($40,000 each)
    KO of the Night: John Dodson
    Submission of the Night: Diego Brandao
    Fight of the Night: Diego Brandao vs. Dennis Bermudez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

gutted that miller couldnt put up a better show.

hope he doesnt get cut or anything id like to see him get another shot but hell have to improve massively. from what ive seen online dana was far from impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BQQ wrote: »
    Anyone else think Yves Edwards was robbed?

I thought he'd won the second round and definitely the third.
    He was clearly disgusted that 2 judges scored it 30-27 to Ferguson.
    Nah i thought Ferguson was the more aggressive all through the fight, he won handy in the first, second was close with Edwards maybe sneaking it but Ferguson had the third too. Dont like Ferguson personally but he looked solid enough.

Who is next for Bisping??????

Dana knows who it is and Bisping knows but no-one is saying

I think it has to be some one moving weight division?and someone coming off a win

Who is next for Bisping??????

Dana knows who it is and Bisping knows but no-one is saying

I think it has to be some one moving weight division?and someone coming off a win

Stann or Maia would make the most sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Stann or Maia would make the most sense.

I believe it will be Stann - very tough fight for Bisping.

Why fight a guy coming off a loss?

If Bisping is being lined up for a title shot?

Why fight a guy coming off a loss?

If Bisping is being lined up for a title shot?

Cause Stann has lost 1 fight to the divisions elite while Bisping has beaten the divisions middle class building this run. Theyre about the same level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

Man I hate Bisping, he tried really hard to change his arrogrant/abusive reputation by being humble after the fight, defo a first for him Id say it took some serious effort, calling himself a "humble guy" dont make me laugh!

This video gave me a chuckle, can't stand Bisping

Not to say I told yas so.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Cause Stann has lost 1 fight to the divisions elite while Bisping has beaten the divisions middle class building this run. Theyre about the same level

They never use this logic with their matchmaking. It's always someone coming off a win against someone coming off a win, same with loss/loss. Unless they're badly stuck at the last minute, or heavyweights. Have to say though, I wish they would sometimes. I think Stann/Bisping would have been a much better matchup than Bisping/Maia.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    They never use this logic with their matchmaking. It's always someone coming off a win against someone coming off a win, same with loss/loss. Unless they're badly stuck at the last minute, or heavyweights. Have to say though, I wish they would sometimes. I think Stann/Bisping would have been a much better matchup than Bisping/Maia.

Proven right in this case. Disappointing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Felt sorry for Dennis Bermudez. Thought he really put it up to Diego. He got sloppy leaving his left arm in but in fairness it was a fantastic submission from Diego.
    John Dodson was very impressive over his last 2 fights. Very exciting fighter but irritating as hell!!!
    Miller was poor IMO. His fitness really let him down and his standup is of a very very low standard. I thought Bisping was very disciplined but he seriously lacks the ability to knock someone out.
    Bisping is a long way off a title fight but I would love to see silva kicks lumps out of him.

I'd be afraid of a Bisping Silva match because if he fights Silva he has a (very minimal) chance of winning. Any given Sunday lads.
    I'd never hear the end of it if he won the strap.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Stann/Bisping is a close fight. But it doesn't accomplish much.
    Stann winning only takes Bisping out of contention, Bisping winning doesn't push him further on.
    I know proper fans would rate the winner, but the momentum needed for a title fight won't be there. You're only as god as your last fight in this sport.

Bisping/Maia achieves more.
    The loser drops a peg and becomes the mid tier guy to beat (this is where Brian Stann is now). The winner pushes on to be no.2 contender after beating a "top 5" guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

killwill wrote: »
    Felt sorry for Dennis Bermudez. Thought he really put it up to Diego. He got sloppy leaving his left arm in but in fairness it was a fantastic submission from Diego.

Bermudez looked so good and it's probably a good thing he didn't win the show! He'll still get the contract and he won't have the pressure of being "TUF Season Winner". I reckon this'll mean he'll have a better chance to progress as a fighter!

As far as Mayhem goes, i'm a bit of a Miller fan and have always been. WHich is a horrible situation to be in because he's not and has never been a top fighter! He comes up against the Jacarés and the Shields and the Bispings of the world and isn't good enough to beat them, which disappoints me each time!

He was never in the same class as Bisping and anyone who was backing to win obviously had never followed his career and was basing it on hate for Bisping. I bloody hate Bisping but at the end of the day there was no way Bisping wasnt winning this fight. He showed he's a class above Miller, but he's still way way short of a top tier fighter!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He was never in the same class as Bisping and anyone who was backing to win obviously had never followed his career and was basing it on hate for Bisping.

Exactly, the comments in here before the fights are a joke and the reason why Bisping was huge value at 1.50

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He was never in the same class as Bisping and anyone who was backing to win obviously had never followed his career and was basing it on hate for Bisping. I bloody hate Bisping but at the end of the day there was no way Bisping wasnt winning this fight. He showed he's a class above Miller, but he's still way way short of a top tier fighter!

Not so sure he was a class above in that fight. Bisping lost the first round and Miller gassed badly in the second. Well deserved by Bisping for having the better conditioning but more just dissapointing on Millers side having won the first round for me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did anyone notice Miller basically just letting Bisping hit him.... (mostly because he was gassed but still)... and Bisping still couldnt knock him out. Thats got to be a concern!!

DeV.

Miller has a great chin/heart and knew he was beat but wanted to prove Bisping couldn't KO him. Not nice to see tho, really hope he gets another shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

It's a pity but miller really looks like a (slightly worse even) Dean Lister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Miller has a great chin/heart and knew he was beat but wanted to prove Bisping couldn't KO him. Not nice to see tho, really hope he gets another shot.

I presume you mean another UFC fight as oppossed to another shot at Bisping.
    Fighting Bisping again would be a waste of time. Bisping is the better fighter, end of.

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    I presume you mean another UFC fight as oppossed to another shot at Bisping.
    Fighting Bisping again would be a waste of time. Bisping is the better fighter, end of.

Oh ya, def another UFC fight. Really had high hopes for Miller in the UFC and the fanboy in me just knew he would beat Bisping and go on a title run haha. If he's cardio was up to spec, he would have won that I think but it was attrocious

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How does he go into that fight with a gas tank sooo poor. It wasnt like it was an energy sapping ground fight or a lot of clinching... it didnt look that crazy a fight at all (watch Cruz and others to see real cardio busting fights). Ok, he's heavier true but still.... he must have known he had one round in the tank only , going into it. Damn fighting a punchbag would have told him that.

I like Miller but very poor show imho.

DeV.

You're 100% on that one. Going into a fight even a person with 1 or 2 fights can tell how long their gas tank is going to keep them slugging for under normal conditions.
    It was terribly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Anyone know why everyone kept acting like Miller had never fought in the UFC before? I know it was only one fight but still seems like an odd detail to gloss over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

God I hope not. Bisping would win that fight IMO and then he'd have 5 in a row and would most likely get a shot. We all know he should have to beat either Belfort, Okami or Sonnen/Munoz but if he gets and beats Maia I think he'll get the title shot.

Love to see him fight Stann, Bisping showed again that he lacks punching power, and Stann has that aplenty.

Edit...
    Just read the rest of the thread. DAMMIT!!!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    God I hope not. Bisping would win that fight IMO and then he'd have 5 in a row and would most likely get a shot. We all know he should have to beat either Belfort, Okami or Sonnen/Munoz but if he gets and beats Maia I think he'll get the title shot.

Love to see him fight Stann, Bisping showed again that he lacks punching power, and Stann has that aplenty.

Maia vs Bisping already announced for UFC on Fox 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Edit...
    Just read the rest of the thread. DAMMIT!!!

If Bisping beats Maia then he'll cement himself in the upper tier of the MW division but it doesn't mean he'll get Silva. Remember, Jim Miller had 7 straight wins (granted in a stacked division) and didn't get a title shot and Fitch had 5 and didn't get a title shot. So even if Bisping wins and has 5 consecutive wins means nothing. As you said, he'll still need to beat Belfort or Okami.
    I'd be pretty sure that the winner of Sonnen/Munoz will get the next shot at Silva when he recovers from his injury.

It's also important to consider Hendo since he said he'd make MW for a shot at Silva. So rest easy, there's a long way to go before Bisping gets a title shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Shazbot wrote: »
    If Bisping beats Maia then he'll cement himself in the upper tier of the MW division but it doesn't mean he'll get Silva. Remember, Jim Miller had 7 straight wins (granted in a stacked division) and didn't get a title shot and Fitch had 5 and didn't get a title shot. So even if Bisping wins and has 5 consecutive wins means nothing. As you said, he'll still need to beat Belfort or Okami.
    I'd be pretty sure that the winner of Sonnen/Munoz will get the next shot at Silva when he recovers from his injury.

It's also important to consider Hendo since he said he'd make MW for a shot at Silva. So rest easy, there's a long way to go before Bisping gets a title shot.

Miller was in a hugely deep division though as you say, and Fitch is battling the boring tag. Bisping carried the UFC's torch in the UK for years, and him getting a title shot would be a big boost to the UFC in the UK especially if they had the fight in England.

I just have the horrible feeling that the UFC would like Bisping to get a shot which is why he gets a beatable Maia rather than a much more dangerous Stann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I just have the horrible feeling that the UFC would like Bisping to get a shot which is why he gets a beatable Maia rather than a much more dangerous Stann.

I agree with Bisping being given the easier fight as Stann would happily stand with Bisping and Maia will look for a ground game. Bisping has a good chance of keeping it standing and picking apart Maia and getting a decision. I guess it would be bad match making to give Stann a shot at Bisping after losing to Sonnen.

Again, I don't think Bisping will get the title shot but I see your concern. If Sonnen gets past Munoz then the UFC will have all their Christmas's come at once by putting on Silva vs Sonnen 2 in Brazil. This would be a much more profitable endeavor than Silva vs Bisping in England.

• Advertisement

Advertisement