Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amps to Kw

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Can I just check something with those who know ;)

I'm camping next weekend and have just bought a proper 25Amp RCD connector to use while we're away.

The site connectors are 4 Amp max and I'm trying to work out the max Kw stuff that I can use.

Am I right in thinking that 4Amp x 240v = 960 watts

Therefore I cant use anything above 960 watts (as against kettle of 2.2Kw) or am I up the wrong tree here ? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Correct.

4 Amps will give you 960 watts as per your calculations below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Andip wrote: »
    Can I just check something with those who know ;)

I'm camping next weekend and have just bought a proper 25Amp RCD connector to use while we're away.

The site connectors are 4 Amp max and I'm trying to work out the max Kw stuff that I can use.

Am I right in thinking that 4Amp x 240v = 960 watts

Therefore I cant use anything above 960 watts (as against kettle of 2.2Kw) or am I up the wrong tree here ? :rolleyes:

Yes as said by dingding also, its 960 watts as you calculated yourself. Another way to look at it is we would usually say 1kw is roughly 4.5 amps at 230v which is the nominal (middle of slightly varying range) voltage here. So a 2kw kettle is around 9 amps. If you plugged this in while camping, it would likely trip their MCB, but no harm would be done. If it is a 4 amp MCB they have, you can still use a 1kw kettle if you get one, even though its 4.3 amps it will take. A 4 amp MCB will carry 4.3 amps for a fair while before tripping, maybe hours, if it trips at all.

You would not have needed the RCD lead either. Any camp site socket outlets will have an RCD in the socket circuits also. A lead with blue 16 amp plug on one end and 13 amp socket outlet on the other end would be fine.

Where are you heading? We do a bit as well, not got out this year yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

-920VA

a kilowatt heater or kettle will prob be ok anyhow

as robbie said unlikely you'll need to bring an rcd-although you never know if they haven't been testing them regularly!

M cebee wrote: »
    -920VA
    although you never know if they haven't been testing them regularly!

True indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes as said by dingding also, its 960 watts as you calculated yourself. Another way to look at it is we would usually say 1kw is roughly 4.5 amps at 230v which is the nominal (middle of slightly varying range) voltage here. So a 2kw kettle is around 9 amps. If you plugged this in while camping, it would likely trip their MCB, but no harm would be done. If it is a 4 amp MCB they have, you can still use a 1kw kettle if you get one, even though its 4.3 amps it will take. A 4 amp MCB will carry 4.3 amps for a fair while before tripping, maybe hours, if it trips at all.

You would not have needed the RCD lead either. Any camp site socket outlets will have an RCD in the socket circuits also. A lead with blue 16 amp plug on one end and 13 amp socket outlet on the other end would be fine.

Where are you heading? We do a bit as well, not got out this year yet though.

Thanks - I debated the RCD but with 3 young kids thought it better safe than sorry - I ended up with this unit at €80 which seems pretty good value http://www.charlescamping.ie/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_260_265&products_id=390

Just picked up a travel kettle for a tenner which is 635watt - bit like a hotel kettle, not the fastest, but does the job & means I can probably get away with running a toaster alongside

We're heading for Clonea, Co. Waterford for the bank holiday - its about time I got my knees out :)

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Thanks - I debated the RCD but with 3 young kids thought it better safe than sorry - I ended up with this unit at €80 which seems pretty good value http://www.charlescamping.ie/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_260_265&products_id=390

Just picked up a travel kettle for a tenner which is 635watt - bit like a hotel kettle, not the fastest, but does the job & means I can probably get away with running a toaster alongside

We're heading for Clonea, Co. Waterford for the bank holiday - its about time I got my knees out :)

Very good, i was looking at that actual unit in charles camping website myself when you posted.

Advertisement