Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Log!

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My first thread on Boards.ie.

Weight: 76 kg
    Bodyfat: around 13%
    Height: 6ft on the button

I'm just looking for somewhere to log all my strength workouts so I can keep track of my gains. I'm going to be following the protocols set out by Barry Ross and detailed in the amazing book "The 4-Hour Body." Between yesterday and today I have done 1RM testing and will start my training on Monday. Basically i'll use 3 compound exercises,2 on each of Monday,Wednesday and Friday. They will be Bench Press, Deadlift and Pull up. I hope to later bring in Push Press and dips. My schedule will be as follows:

Dynamic warm-up + foam rolling

Monday:
    Bench Press:1 set of 2 @ 95% 1RM
    1 set of 5 @ 85% 1RM
    Both sets immediately followed by 5 reps of plyo push-ups on 6-12 inch boxes(easiest for my convenience is 2 aerobic steps).

Deadlift: same reps/sets except followed by box jumps of varying heights.

5 minutes rest between all sets, time starts after plyometrics.

Wednesday and Friday are the same except Wednesday i will do pull-ups instead.

Abdominal work will be the torture twist+myotatic crunch at the end of each session.

For vanity reasons i will squeeze in some arms/shoulders on Friday after deadlifts (not much though as i don't want to mess with my strength gains).

Foam rolling and stretching will follow all workouts.

1RM results:

Bench Press: 85 kg

Deadlift: 110kg

Pull-up: 3 bodyweight pull-ups(i will add weight next week as i don't have a belt yet)

I will also be doing metcons on off days and the mornings of strength days. This could be replaced by swimming on some days.

My goals are not size or lean related, although my diet is pretty solid so i should see results there too, purely strength. My eventual goals are double bodyweight deadlift, 120 bench press and pull-up with 20kg. I will do 1RM tests every 4-6 weeks(prob 6). I am unsure of realistic gains for the first 4-6 weeks so i'll just train my ass off and then set targets for the second term once I have ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Fitness Logs with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Matty11Nagle

Week 1:

Monday: Bench Press + Deadlift

Bench Press: 1 set of 2 @ 80kg 5 plyo push-ups onto steps
    1 set of 5 @ 70 kg 5 plyo push-ups onto steps

Deadlift: 1 set of 2 @ 105 5 box jumps onto bench
    1 set of 5 @ 95 5 box jumps onto bench

Torture Twist: 3 sets of (3x3 sec holds e/s) 30 sec rest between sets

Wedensday: Bench Press + Pullup

Bench Press: 2 sets @ 80kg 5 plyo push-ups onto steps
    1 set @ 70kg 5 plyo push-ups onto steps

Pullup: 2 sets of 3 @ bodyweight
    1 set of 5 @ 10kg

Myotatic Crunch: 2 sets of 10

Friday: Bench Press + Deadlift

Bench Press: 2 sets @ 80kg 5 plyo push-ups onto steps
    1 set @ 70kg 5 plyo push-ups onto steps

Deadlift: 2 sets @ 105kg 5 box jumps onto bench
    1 set @ 70kg 5 box jumps onto bench

Torture Twist: 3 sets of (3x3 sec holds e/s) 30 sec rest between sets

OTHER

Other workouts consisted of swimming using the total immersion method. This wasn't really a workout more so technique sessions.

Short 10-30 min intense sessions. Using sprints,rowing,push-ups,handstand pushups etc....very metcon(crossfit) based!

At the end of this week I feel like i should try incorporate push press and squat in somewhere as well. But I don't want to tweak the schedule already. I'll just stick to it for 4 weeks and see how it goes.

Advertisement