Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Found...

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello , A Friend recently found a Roll of cable, I think it is ABC " aerial bundle cable "
    There is four separate cables ( black wrapped around each other ) with seven 2.5 size wires that look to be Alu.. and probably around 100m of it, still taped up like it was just took from the suppliers.
    Anyone any info on this? is it expensive? where would i sell it other than scrap? is It just ESB that use this kind of cable? Many Thanks...Djdt

P.S this was genuinely found, must have fallin of the back of a truck as the old sayin goes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Are the 7 wires individually insulated. If not it is probably ESB bundled conductor.

And fell from the back of an ESB van.

Unusual for anyone else to use aluminum other than the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MasCon...

Thanks dingding,
    The wires are not individually insulated,
    and is most likely ESB bundled conductor...
    do you think it should be swagged? who else would use it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

7 strands I presume you mean per phase. It was probably left out in a field for a job as often happens. Cant see who else would have use for it, its not exactly something you wire your house with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And its aluminum, you can only connect to it / join it with connectors the ESB would have.

Cant see it being any use to anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Yeah it's definitely ESB cable. It's used on the LV network. I doubt a full drum was just left behind. Going by experience I'd say travellers stole it not knowing that it was aluminium then dumped it when they realised it was.

You could either sell it for scrap (not worth all that much) or just bring it to your local ESB Networks yard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

bassey wrote: »
    Yeah it's definitely ESB cable. It's used on the LV network. I doubt a full drum was just left behind. Going by experience I'd say travellers stole it not knowing that it was aluminium then dumped it when they realised it was.

You could either sell it for scrap (not worth all that much) or just bring it to your local ESB Networks yard.

Why isn't aluminium worth that much? I though all metals really could be scrapped, I know copper and lead are sought after,

I'd say call the esb and ask them to come pick it up, at least they can use it for something, scrapping it might bring in not much actual value, plus, if its found and you know who owns it, profiting from the sale of it might be seen as theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

It's not worth that much because it's not in as high demand compared to the scarcity of it. As in there's loads of it so it's not worth much. You'd still get a few bob for it though, just nothing compared to copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

MasCon... wrote: »
    Hello , A Friend recently found a Roll of cable, I think it is ABC " aerial bundle cable "
    There is four separate cables ( black wrapped around each other ) with seven 2.5 size wires that look to be Alu.. and probably around 100m of it, still taped up like it was just took from the suppliers.
    Anyone any info on this? is it expensive? where would i sell it other than scrap? is It just ESB that use this kind of cable? Many Thanks...Djdt

P.S this was genuinely found, must have fallin of the back of a truck as the old sayin goes...

'Finders Keepers' doesn't apply anywhere outside of school yards.

Ring the ESB and ask them to collect it.

Advertisement