Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands to close Cannabis outlets to tourists.

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

It's been discussed for years but looks like it's official now :
    AMSTERDAM (BNO NEWS) -- In an effort to stop drug tourism, the Dutch government on Friday decided to restrict access to cannabis coffee shops so that tourists will no longer be able to buy the drugs.
    Coffee shops are establishments in the Netherlands where the sale of cannabis for personal consumption by the public is tolerated by the local authorities. As this is illegal in most countries, many tourists from around the world travel to Amsterdam to use cannabis.

But in an effort to reduce criminal behavior and tourism as a result of the drug policy, the Dutch government on Friday decided to introduce a membership system for coffee shops. The city of Amsterdam, where most tourists go, is against the decision

The new system will require members of coffee shops to be a citizen of the Netherlands and over the age of 18. "The coalition agreement says that the current open door policy of coffee shops should be stopped and that the fight against organized drug crime should be intensified," the Dutch cabinet said in a statement.

The new laws will require coffee shops to become closed clubs for the local market, meaning that only Dutch citizens will be allowed access if they are able to show a valid ID and have a membership of the coffee shop in question.

The membership will be in the form of a club card which can be provided by coffee shop owners if those who want to be a customer can produce a valid ID and proof that he or she lives in the Netherlands. The membership will be for a period of at least a year, but coffee shops will be restricted in the number of club cards they can issue.

"The desired small scale will be achieved by the cabinet by capping the number of members of coffee shops. What the exact maximum number of members per coffee shop is will be determined at a later moment," the cabinet said. "The mayor can under local circumstances impose a lower number of maximum members."

The European Court of Justice previously said the new laws to deny access to foreigners is not in violation of European law. A court case against the new measures is still pending at the Netherlands' Council of State, but the government does not expect this to be a problem.

"The cabinet expects that the closure of coffee shops to foreign drug tourists will result in that they no longer travel to the Netherlands for the sale and consumption of cannabis," the cabinet said in the statement. "After all, for many of them applies that they can use the existing illegal market in their own country. Nevertheless will the possible side effects of these measures be monitored closely and adequately addressed by the police, judiciary, and administration."

Additionally, the Dutch government also decided on Friday that coffee shops will not be allowed within 350 meters (1,100 feet) of schools. This measure is aimed to stop students from visiting the coffee shops.
    http://wireupdate.com/wires/17731/netherlands-to-close-cannabis-coffee-shops-to-tourists/

At least annoying barstoolers who have been helpfully informing me for years you can't buy dope anymore in the 'Dam will be right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

They're going to see a huge drop in tourism now...this is the only reason why many tourists go there....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    They're going to see a huge drop in tourism now...this is the only reason why many tourists go there....

There's one other reason to go.

Anne Frank's house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh, so what?!? There's so many other exciting things to do and see in the Netherlands like...ummmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Crazy decision. Why else would anyone go to Amsterdam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Nice one, looks like they are getting a bit off sense at last.

The auld stoners will have to turn somewhere else it seems like.

Dutch seem to pissed off with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bad news for Ming Flanagans holiday plans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

it'll work the same way the smoking ban works over there, it won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Why do you hate cannabis so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Might be disappointing for the weekend headers, but if i lived there I'd be happy enough, especially if the red light district was closed to. All those stag do's probably won't be missed by the average amsterdam resident.

Amsterdam is a great city with loads to do and see, you miss most of it if you're wasted. Can't say i wasn't one of them in the past and i can't say i didn't enjoy but i know i wouldn't be so keen on the whole dope and hookers thing if i lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

That is my summer plans gone up in smoke.......

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

If by that you mean the Christian Democratic [lol] government who passed this largely unpopular bill.

Cannabis isin't the problem drug with drug tourism.

Cali is the place to be now anyway, man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

crazy decision, tourist industry will go bust there!!! all the backpackers from abroad put the dam as a must on the list, no way their going to go now, unless theres a loophole in this law! Im quite surprised the dutch are quite savvy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I hope the Dutch government has an idea on how to subsidise the lost revenues that this will inevitably bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Easy enough to buy coke (well they claim it's coke) on the streets. All this law will do is force tourists to deal with these people.

The problem with drugs in Amsterdam isn't in Coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

They want to introduce it, but it's not written in stone just yet. What it basically means is, is that if you want to buy it, tourist or otherwise you get a temporary membership of a coffee shop and it's business as usual.

There is no way they want to loose that kinda business. Remember, you have to pay VAT on your purchases in a coffee shop, so the loss in tax revenue alone will ensure that it's just noise they are making. They do the same sh1te every couple of years!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

I am pie wrote: »
    Might be disappointing for the weekend headers, but if i lived there I'd be happy enough, especially if the red light district was closed to. All those stag do's probably won't be missed by the average amsterdam resident.

Amsterdam is a great city with loads to do and see, you miss most of it if you're wasted. Can't say i wasn't one of them in the past and i can't say i didn't enjoy but i know i wouldn't be so keen on the whole dope and hookers thing if i lived there.

there are red light districts throughout europe, its just more famous in the dam as it was a big sailor port or something like that, hence the ladies appeared ha but it wouldnt be overly missed the ganja shops are by far the biggest draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Crazy decision. Why else would anyone go to Amsterdam?

because there's **** loads to do
    because it's a stunning city
    because people are really nice and friendly

don't forget all the sex, tulips and clogs on offer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

will it still be legal to carry the allowed amount of cannabis or will this also be restricted to the card owners (lucky conts). surely this is going to make a great little business venture for those lucky few that get the cards. they'll make a small fortune selling dope to tourists.

I'd imagine this is just phase 1. Give it a few years before these shops are closed. There's no way they can remain profitable by just selling to members.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Amsterdam is an old city with a rich history. I can see the reasoning behind them wanting to protect that history.. I mean right now, to many around the world, Amsterdam equates to drugs, hookers & loud binging tourists. In all my years of visiting the city, I have very rarely seen the 'locals' partake in the vice activities.

Weed isn't the problem.. laws in other countries are the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

Typical myopic politicians.

In the town I lived in, for every foreign euro spent in the coffee shops, a further 7 euros was spent in surrounding businesses, bars, restaurants etc.

I never visted the coffee shop myself, and by all reports the vast majority of people frequenting these places were tourists. Those locals that partook of the weed would usually grow their own, no need to go to the coffee shop at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

because there's **** loads to do
    because it's a stunning city
    because people are really nice and friendly

Yes but there are lots of cities like this. Amsterdam on the other hand has a unique selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

RachaelVO wrote: »
    They want to introduce it, but it's not written in stone just yet. What it basically means is, is that if you want to buy it, tourist or otherwise you get a temporary membership of a coffee shop and it's business as usual.

There is no way they want to loose that kinda business. Remember, you have to pay VAT on your purchases in a coffee shop, so the loss in tax revenue alone will ensure that it's just noise they are making. They do the same sh1te every couple of years!
    According to the bill you need to be a resident of the Netherlands to get a card.

It wouldn't do much to curb drug tourism if any old John Q Globetrotter could get an Xtra-Vision card for their pot.

The Dutch snack industry is recoiling in horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anyone know when this is being enforced , heading over in 2 weeks, may aswell cancel if this sort of shíte is going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I sense a great little niche in the market for Ireland. If only we had the balls to take the risk..not likely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Decision isn't isn't final.

In any case, 'stoners' normally go their for a holiday to experience public use of drugs without the fear of Johnny Law. They'll just stay at home now with their usual supply and be happy.

All this is going to do is wipe Amsterdam off the map. I really can't think of any other reason to go there. Unless you're mad for a shag that is...

I for one welcome this decision. Maybe Brits destined for the Dam will come to Dublin for a stag-do instead. Better for the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

anyone know when this is being enforced , heading over in 2 weeks, may aswell cancel if this sort of shíte is going on

Could be another few years yet. If it ever does happen.

It's going through the houses of government as we speak. I imagine the tourist board - and indeed cities like Eidenhoven and Amsterdam will want to speak up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think they will struggle to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

According to the bill you need to be a resident of the Netherlands to get a card.

It wouldn't do much to curb drug tourism if any old John Q Globetrotter could get an Xtra-Vision card for their pot.

The Dutch snack industry is recoiling in horror.

It'll go the same way as the smoking bill. It hasn't been thought through properly, and again it's not concrete yet. I don't think it will go through, too many tourist bucks are gonna go down the drain, and they know it. I think it's a publicity stunt meself!

I'd say the lads hocking the ol fricandel, krokets and bami haps in the wall are dying a death, they are drowning themselves in their melted lard!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

it will only force it on to street dealing..stupid stupid move

Advertisement