Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands to close Cannabis outlets to tourists.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Sad news indeed. And bad news for the dutch tourist industry. You see, the Netherlands really dosnt have that many draws for tourists, cannabis was its unique selling point. You know what the Netherlands minus cannabis is like? Belgium. And Belgium is a prettt crap place to holiday.

I liked Belgium. Been to Antwerp, Brussels (at Christmas time - most amazing display I have ever seen), Brugge and Oostende. The latter 2 were absolutely fantastic. Stepping off the train in Brugge is (literally!) like stepping backwards in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Bits of Belgium are ok - Gent is ok but Liege is a total kip. Worked there for 6 years - but lived over the border near Maastricht

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

grindle wrote: »
    Best beer, chocolate, festivals, and a great club-scene. Recipe for terrible holidays right there.

:D you got me.
    I think its just the towns and cities, just seem very...tame. The festivals, well everywhere in europe has them now, the chocolate is too rich, the beer too heavy, prefer Berlin for the clubbing myself and the belgians seem quite aloof. I just find it quite meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

SteoL wrote: »
    So the stag parties who are on the same flight as you represent all tourists to The Netherlands? Come on.........

Of course you will see people who overindulge. Go into any Irish or UK or any town and you'll see plenty of people who overindulge. I've seen worse in town to be honest.

Obviously this will result in a huge loss to the Dutch economy. I don' think it will stop people from going there though. It will, however, line the pockets of criminals in the Netherlands who will be happy to supply a (more than likely) Inferior product for an increased rate. I don't see the sense in that.

And what do you think stag parties do in Amsterdam? Go to the cafes? I think there are other things that draw that market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

And what do you think stag parties do in Amsterdam? Go to the cafes? I think there are other things that draw that market.

I wouldn't think they'd just go to drink coffee, :D

I think the coffeeshops, where cannabis is sold is a draw for some tourists :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

micropig wrote: »
    I wouldn't think they'd just go to drink coffee, :D

I think the coffeeshops, where cannabis is sold is a draw for some tourists :pac:

I dont think that's the reason that stag parties go there. And you know what I meant anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sad news indeed. And bad news for the dutch tourist industry. You see, the Netherlands really dosnt have that many draws for tourists, cannabis was its unique selling point. You know what the Netherlands minus cannabis is like? Belgium. And Belgium is a prettt crap place to holiday.

Holland is a nice place too. Our town planners should be sent to Holland to see how its done.

I dont think that's the reason that stag parties go there. And you know what I meant anyway :D

I wonder what else a group of lads would be interested in...in Amsterdam....big red light district, nothing to see there:p

woodoo wrote: »
    Holland is a nice place too. Our town planners should be sent to Holland to see how its done.

I agree. Outside of Amsterdam, The Netherlands has loads to offer that a lot of people don't realise. I'd much rather be in the relaxing in the volcanic springs, outside at 10'clock at night after a day cycling and exploring the countryside than in Amsterdam, any night of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Utter bull****.

Less than a quarter of tourists to the Netherlands smoked weed while there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Cali is the place to be now anyway, man.

Or British Columbia in Canada, they have seriously relaxed laws towards weed.

"Dude our BC bud is way better than that Cali s&*t"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

A regressive step by the Dutch authorities IMO. The ideal solution for them would have been for all countries in Europe to legalise weed so that Amsterdam became less of an HQ for every scumbag underworld criminal in the continent.

I'm amazed in this day and age of enlightenment that weed is illegal in most countries. It really is perplexing.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I'd go to holland anyway, i like the short flight. It's got alot to keep you entertained without the smoke and sex. Yeah, i did both there but also visited museums, zoo, cinema etc. I'd like to see package companies do deals to other dutch cities aswell as amsterdam, but the demand wouldn't be there. Alot of idiots think amsterdam is a country, you know?

Here's a study done after it was decriminalised in Portugal

This paper examines the case of Portugal, a nation that decriminalized the use and possession of all illicit drugs on 1 July 2001. Drawing upon independent evaluations and interviews conducted with 13 key stakeholders in 2007 and 2009, it critically analyses the criminal justice and health impacts against trends from neighbouring Spain and Italy. It concludes that contrary to predictions, the Portuguese decriminalization did not lead to major increases in drug use. Indeed, evidence indicates reductions in problematic use, drug-related harms and criminal justice overcrowding.

Utter bull****.

Less than a quarter of tourists to the Netherlands smoked weed while there.
    Hmmm I doubt there would be reliable figures on something like that, noy everyone will admit to to it etc and if its such a small number, what exactly is the problem? There is an entire industry of hotels, hostels and ancillary businesses that will be hit by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

Can't really see this thing going through. Would be devastating to a lot of the coffee shops that rely on tourists. I bet most of the coffee shops will just ignore this and sell to tourists regardless. It's either that or bankruptcy for a lot of them. Plus the government in the Netherlands just collapsed, so a new government will be in place by 2013, and most likely it will be less conservative according to some dutchies i've spoken with.

If they actually follow through with it, the streets will be flooded with drug dealers again, which already is a significant problem in Amsterdam. And there'll be a rise in criminality most likely due to drug dealing.

Even the mayor in Amsterdam is against this, because 1/3 of tourists in Amsterdam visit the coffee shops. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17865151)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

At least they have waffles and choclolate over in Belgium. What do you have in Netherlands? Chips with mayonnaise... or tulips.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

O.P. Well there you have it......... and now you know .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

paddyandy wrote: »
    O.P. Well there you have it......... and now you know .

the more you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

At least they have waffles and choclolate over in Belgium. What do you have in Netherlands? Chips with mayonnaise... or tulips.

Woahwoahwoah... Slow down there.
    Chips with mayonnaise AND peanut satay. Horny just thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

grindle wrote: »
    Woahwoahwoah... Slow down there.
    Chips with mayonnaise AND peanut satay. Horny just thinking about it.

And onions!

Can't bate a good oorlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Why are there so many people worried by the laws in another country? Quite frankly its none of our business how the Dutch choose to govern themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Why are there so many people worried by the laws in another country? Quite frankly its none of our business how the Dutch choose to govern themselves.

If there was a law passed here preventing beer being served to visitors to Ireland, there would be a fair few people across the world worried about that, dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Timing very silly for them. They just got agreement on cutting 16billion from public spending.

That + reduced tourism will put a lot of people out of work

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    Timing very silly for them. They just got agreement on cutting 16billion from public spending.

That + reduced tourism will put a lot of people out of work

You don't think they got the cut by negotiating the cannabis ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

If there was a law passed here preventing beer being served to visitors to Ireland, there would be a fair few people across the world worried about that, dont you think?

There would, but we (the Irish) would be entitled to be concerned about it because it is our country. My point is that beyond human rights abuses and the like we have no real place commenting on the laws of other nations.

Who are we to tell another country how to govern itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There would, but we (the Irish) would be entitled to be concerned about it because it is our country. My point is that beyond human rights abuses and the like we have no real place commenting on the laws of other nations.

We are Europeans, it's what we do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

But we're not telling them how to govern themselves, we're discussing their laws.

They're allowed to discuss our laws too.

So we should limit all our discussions and debates exclusively to matters which occur on this island, and nothing else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlutterinBantam viewpost.gif
    I don't , it's the fcukers who smoke it and toss out their auld shite who annoy me.

Smoke the stuff all you like, don't expect me to pay for you , when you are hallucinating in hospital.

'Kaybiggrin.gif

Awww bless :o

Now posting as "John Biffo" on politics.ie in every thread cannabis and Ming related.
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/185922-luke-ming-flanagan-makes-me-puke-41.html#post5177013

Well said poster, nail on head.

Flanagan scares nobody, not even small children most of whom have the savvy to see through the waffle and populism he spouts.

These guys offer nothing, zilch, nada, to solving anything, other than self-promote themselves and talk till the cows come home, whilst implementing nothing.

The media like these idiots because they provide soundbytes and certain ratings.

When it comes to actually doing anything, solving anything, implementing anything the are totally useless.

waste of taxpayers money.

Advertisement