Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands to close Cannabis outlets to tourists.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This thread kinda shows the ridiculously narrow and restricted most people have of Amsterdam IMO

If I can't get high I'm not going :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

RachaelVO wrote: »
    It'll go the same way as the smoking bill. It hasn't been thought through properly, and again it's not concrete yet. I don't think it will go through, too many tourist bucks are gonna go down the drain, and they know it. I think it's a publicity stunt meself!

I'd say the lads hocking the ol fricandel, krokets and bami haps in the wall are dying a death, they are drowning themselves in their melted lard!!!!!!!!!!
    All the articles make it sound very official. Language like 'Dutch to close' as opposed to 'Dutch propose to close'. None of them say anything about it having to pass through government. I thought that's what was going on all this time?

Oh well. Some hope then. I did think that tobacco bill was official though, no? I have friends who have been over who have said either special rooms were built for tobacco smoking away from the main shop floor or they would provide some basket of innocuous mixer to roll with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The value of cannabis and associated tourism to the city economy is too great for a blanket ban - hotels, restaurants, public transport, cultural institutions all benefit hugely.

Methinks this story reflects ongoing political sabre-rattling by some in the coalition who will eventually have to settle for a watered down solution which may actually tidy up some internal inconsistencies evident in Dutch drug policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

This thread kinda shows the ridiculously narrow and restricted most people have of Amsterdam IMO

If I can't get high I'm not going :rolleyes:

How it it restricted and narrow? It's realistic.

Every bag-packer, student and normal average Joe will definitely go out of their way when holidaying in Europe to sample some weed in the Dam. Now that that's gone, the city will loose it's unique selling point. It'l have to compete with other cities on history, culture, food etc... And I'm sorry, but it won;t do well against the likes of London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid...and, dare I say it, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Could be another few years yet. If it ever does happen.

It's going through the houses of government as we speak. I imagine the tourist board - and indeed cities like Eidenhoven and Amsterdam will want to speak up.

Eindhoven will go BAT SH1T if it goes through, they'll loose a fortune, especially with passing trade to A'dam from the airport (Ryanair being cheap an all, flying in from a good few places).

It'll take donkeys years before it ever (if ever) it goes through, the Dutch will have committee meetings over how long officially toe nails should be, so I reckon there'll be a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGG time before they even make a decision!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Why do you hate cannabis so much?

I don't , it's the fcukers who smoke it and toss out their auld shite who annoy me.

Smoke the stuff all you like, don't expect me to pay for you , when you are hallucinating in hospital.

'Kay:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Seems a bit racist to me.

Do we have any things in Ireland where you have to be an Irish citizen to purchase goods? Were not talking about hand outs here sure even any Josef Soapski can get the social welfare once they're an EU citizen.

One of the principles of the foundation of the EU was the free movement of goods and services but this stamps all over it as you have to be a Dutch citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Millions of tourists will continue to go to Amsterdam every year t see the flower markets, canals, unique architecture, bars, cafes and restuarants and art galleries.

A subset of these won't be able to go and get smoke weed.

I'm pretty sure the dutch economy can survive the trauma.

Eindhoven will go BAT SH1T if it goes through, they'll loose a fortune, especially with passing trade to A'dam from the airport (Ryanair being cheap an all, flying in from a good few places).

It'll take donkeys years before it ever (if ever) it goes through, the Dutch will have committee meetings over how long officially toe nails should be, so I reckon there'll be a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGG time before they even make a decision!

I can see it being bandied about as a political stick for a while; and then dropped. All the Dutch have to do is look around Europe to see what a restrictive drug policy will do. Higher crime. Street selling. Weed being mixed with all sorts of crap. Plus, the hit the local economies will take would effectively wipe them off the map for tourism as concerning those under the age of 35.

If this goes through, I'll be very surprised. And a little disappointed - I always thought the dutch had SOME sense when it came to drug policies. They were never perfect, but a lot better than 95% of the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Good riddance. A good move for the Dutch.

• Advertisement

All the articles make it sound very official. Language like 'Dutch to close' as opposed to 'Dutch propose to close'. None of them say anything about it having to pass through government. I thought that's what was going on all this time?

Oh well. Some hope then. I did think that tobacco bill was official though, no? I have friends who have been over who have said either special rooms were built for tobacco smoking away from the main shop floor or they would provide some basket of innocuous mixer to roll with.

Smoking ban has been unofficially overturned. Very few pubs (with the exception of city centre pub) adhered to it. In fact here (Eindhoven), some bars had a kitty, and if you wanted to smoke you paid 2 euro so that if they got caught, your 2 euro went towards paying their fine. NO BAR was successfully prosecuted though, and those that want to allow smoking have, and those that wanted not to or have it in a "smoking room" did.

The law on the coffee shops, will need debating (great trait of the dutch, debate, debate debate). Nor have the coffee shop owners been given enough notice etc; It's go a LONG way to go before (if) it ever happens!

I am pie wrote: »
    Millions of tourists will continue to go to Amsterdam every year t see the flower markets, canals, unique architecture, bars, cafes and restuarants and art galleries.

A subset of these won't be able to go and get smoke weed.

I'm pretty sure the dutch economy can survive the trauma.

You truly underestimate just home much gange tourism Amsterdam and Eidenhoven gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm sure the locals love seeing tourists coming over and getting completely ****ed up on their streets.
    Much like we love the English in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't , it's the fcukers who smoke it and toss out their auld shite who annoy me.

Smoke the stuff all you like, don't expect me to pay for you , when you are hallucinating in hospital.

I don't know what you've seen people smoking but it sounds a lot stronger than cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Terry wrote: »
    I'm sure the locals love seeing tourists coming over and getting completely ****ed up on their streets.

Yeah because canabis is just like drink isnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Keith186 wrote: »
    Seems a bit racist to me.

Do we have any things in Ireland where you have to be an Irish citizen to purchase goods? Were not talking about hand outs here sure even any Josef Soapski can get the social welfare once they're an EU citizen.

One of the principles of the foundation of the EU was the free movement of goods and services but this stamps all over it as you have to be a Dutch citizen.

It'd be racist if the stopped whites going in, or if they stopped chinese people, but since it's everyone including black, white, green or purple dutch people...it isn't racist.

Unlike snide attempts to suggest 'josef soapski' is coming over here to steal out dole. FFS.

I completely agree with you Flutt. These fcuking stoners hippy fcuks. Smoking cannabis, getting 'stoned' out of their bins, overdosing on the stuff and ending up in hospital. COMING OUT OF MY TAX EURONS!!! >:(

They're all unemployed wasters - no talent, no prospects. Don't they know what cannabis does to you?

Scumbags.
    ^The above may not be a good representation of my personal opinions and knowledge. In fact, it may even be considered the total opposite.

The majority of the frat mentality you see from tourists is carried out in the city center. Not all over the suburbs. Most stag nights don't make it past Red Light District.

The only locals who live there are the ones who are unable to hear the ruckus going on out in the streets because they are smothered in a bed of money.

You truly underestimate just home much gange tourism Amsterdam and Eidenhoven gets.

YUP!!!! It's totally HUGE!!!

They would be making even more money and preventing even less crime if they had the balls to go the hole hog with legalization instead of the current fingers in the ears, eyes closed policy of tolerance they have that let people go into often violent competition with each other because that's what happens in an unregulated supply chain.

• Advertisement

I completely agree with you Flutt. These fcuking stoners hippy fcuks. Smoking cannabis, getting 'stoned' out of their bins, overdosing on the stuff and ending up in hospital. COMING OUT OF MY TAX EURONS!!! >:(

They're all unemployed wasters - no talent, no prospects. Don't they know what cannabis does to you?

Scumbags.
    ^The above may not be a good representation of my personal opinions and knowledge. In fact, it may even be considered the total opposite.

:eek:

Poster in deep in the dank stuff surely.

I can see the city of Amsterdam objecting to this in the EU courts.

First off, I don;t think a government can enforce that amount of regulation on an industry. Especially one that isn't technically legal anyway. Grey area.

Also, it might work for citizens from the rest of the world - but not the EU.

The minute I set foot on Dutch soil I'm entitled to the same rights as a Dutch citizen outside of governmental institutions (eg. Joining the army, police, voting etc...).

It's be like us trying to ban tourists from having a pint of Guinness when they come over.

All in all though, if this does go through, I think it'll be more of symbolic loss than a real loss. Amsterdam has been a 'home city' of all thinks pot related for decades. It's be sad to see such a step backwards.

In reality though, cannabis is freely available the world over. <snip>
    mod: that last bit is against the charter. PM for clarification if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Does anyone know why the Dutch Government have accepted/previously accepted cannabis so well? I.e Money from VAT, Tourism etc

I'm a bit clueless regarding the history behind it.

YUP!!!! It's totally HUGE!!!

That's what she said!
    I'm so sorry

Does anyone know why the Dutch Government have accepted/previously accepted cannabis so well? I.e Money from VAT, Tourism etc

I'm a bit clueless regarding the history behind it.

It's still illegal - but decriminalized. Officially, the coffeshops themselves are illegal - but 'tolerated'.

The plant was widely used for hemp (one of the best raw materials known to man - seriously) all over the world. Especially in Europe and America. When the US and other European nations started to ban it as it effected the cotton trade, Holland never followed suit.

Then it became a drug around the world. And 'Reefer Madness' began. One puff of a marijuana cigarette and you were likely to blow your head off with a shotgun. It was a horrible drug that would destroy your children's future. Truly awful stuff by all accounts. Coincidently, it also made soldiers less prone to pulling that trigger. So it was banned.

Holland never passed the laws. And after WW2 recreational smoking popped up in force. Then they realised they were onto something and didn't see the harm in the plant. And here we are :)

It's still illegal - but decriminalized. Officially, the coffeshops themselves are illegal - but 'tolerated'.

The plant was widely used for hemp (one of the best raw materials known to man - seriously) all over the world. Especially in Europe and America. When the US and other European nations started to ban it as it effected the cotton trade, Holland never followed suit.

Then it became a drug around the world. And 'Reefer Madness' began. One puff of a marijuana cigarette and you were likely to blow your head off with a shotgun. It was a horrible drug that would destroy your children's future. Truly awful stuff by all accounts. Coincidently, it also made soldiers less prone to pulling that trigger. So it was banned.

Holland never passed the laws. And after WW2 recreational smoking popped up in force. Then they realised they were onto something and didn't see the harm in the plant. And here we are :)

jaysus, getting a bit worked up here bro.

chill out man

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It always cracks me up how easily stoners get riled up about their habit being illegal, but will then tell you in the same breath that smoking weed mellows them out.

@54 posts in, and most of the thread is 'GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's all the fault of everyone else!!!!!!!!. We didn't do it. Alcohol is to blame and so forth!!!!'

jaysus, getting a bit worked up here bro.

chill out man

???

Poster asked for a brief history so I gave them one - all be it very brief. Probably left out a lot.

Why do I need to chill out?

It always cracks me up how easily stoners get riled up about their habit being illegal, but will then tell you in the same breath that smoking weed mellows them out.

@54 posts in, and most of the thread is 'GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's all the fault of everyone else!!!!!!!!. We didn't do it. Alcohol is to blame and so forth!!!!'

Most of this thread is about Amsterdam and the proposed bill. Not the usual debating of cannabis.

Even then, I prefer my 'habit' being illegal. More fun that way. Like the forbidden fruit. :)

I'd want it legalized for two reasons - patients and so people wouldn't be getting locked up. As for supply - who gives a fcuk. It's a plant. It grows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I love the way people who are anti drugs come across as total stoners :cool:

Advertisement