Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands to close Cannabis outlets to tourists.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Terry wrote: »
    It always cracks me up how easily stoners get riled up about their habit being illegal, but will then tell you in the same breath that smoking weed mellows them out.

@54 posts in, and most of the thread is 'GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's all the fault of everyone else!!!!!!!!. We didn't do it. Alcohol is to blame and so forth!!!!'
    Yeah conform to your stereotype and stop arguing in support of changing the law.

???

Jesus wept.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So I can borrow the card yeah?
    Wasn't something released showing that other countries use more drugs than there anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Wasn't something released showing that other countries use more drugs than there anyway?

That's if it even make it through.

Also, the dutch have a knack for giving silly new laws the middle finger. Like the smoking ban - now pretty much belly up.

If it does come in, by the year say...2016... It'l be a big hullabuloo for a few months. And then business as usual. I don't think the dutch are that dumb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Dean0088 wrote: »
    ...Then it became a drug around the world. And 'Reefer Madness' began. One puff of a marijuana cigarette and you were likely to blow your head off with a shotgun. It was a horrible drug that would destroy your children's future. Truly awful stuff by all accounts. Coincidently, it also made soldiers less prone to pulling that trigger. So it was banned.

I'm going to take this part with a pinch of salt:D

I'm going to take this part with a pinch of salt:D

Or a pinch of reality?

Also, the US military began testing for cannabis because it made soldiers have feeling of apathy with their fellow soldiers from enemy nations. Less likely to squeeze the trigger.

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of what comes out of the pro-MJ side is BS. But I tell no lies and am not (personally) to concerned with whether or not it is legalised. It's an interesting subject though with a rich history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I prefer buying my weed in Amsterdam because
    I've got great selection to choose from
    Its much cheaper
    Its better
    I don't have to look over my shoulder when buying it
    And Coffee shops are more reliable then the guy you sent a text to get some

Amsterdam is a lovely city and all but when going away with a couple of the lads there is only 1 reason we're going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

That's what she said!
    I'm so sorry

And you were silly enough to believe her?

Tsk tsk tsk... you're so sweetly gullible :p

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I'd say the lads hocking the ol fricandel, krokets and bami haps in the wall are dying a death, they are drowning themselves in their melted lard!!!!!!!!!!

Rachael I havent a clue what you just said but its good, say something else! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

yup

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Cannabis_use_among_adults_%28aged_15-64%29.svg/560px-Cannabis_use_among_adults_%28aged_15-64%29.svg.png

RachaelVO wrote: »
    And you were silly enough to believe her?

Tsk tsk tsk... you're so sweetly gullible :p

I choose to believe it! B)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Smoke the stuff all you like, don't expect me to pay for you , when you are hallucinating in hospital.

'Kay:D

Cannabis, not LSD.

I choose to believe it! B)

Ah, the delusions caused by cannabis... there is an irony there, but I have the munchies and can't think what that is :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I was there a couple of weeks ago, the dutch generally find a way around such laws, eg. they put in a rule to say you couldn't buy magic mushrooms unless you waited 3 days (in an attempt to deter tourists who only spend 2 - 3 days in amsterdam), instead they now sell magic truffles.

JMSE wrote: »
    Rachael I havent a clue what you just said but its good, say something else! :)

Wat wil je, je lekker ding???? Ik kan zeg wat je wil!!!!!

(the grammar is ****e, but you get what I mean;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I don't , it's the fcukers who smoke it and toss out their auld shite who annoy me.

Smoke the stuff all you like, don't expect me to pay for you , when you are hallucinating in hospital.

'Kay:D
    Why don't you stick to talking about sh!te or farting or toilets or something you actually know about rather than somethin you obviously haven't a notion about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

Well first of all, if they want to do this they will, I think, have to get it through both the first and second chambers of the Dutch legislature. I think the conservative parties did poorer than expected in the 'senate' (first chamber) elections so it bills they pass wouldn't be sure of getting the first chamber's approval.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure this would be unconstitutional in the Netherlands as the first article of the Dutch constitution guarantees equal rights to anyone on Dutch soil, whether Dutch or not.
    All persons in the Netherlands shall be treated equally in equal circumstances. Discrimination on the grounds of religion, belief, political opinion, race or sex or on other grounds whatsoever shall not be permitted.

So, along with all the other negatives mentioned with such a move, I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

This will do for Dutch tourism what banning Guinness and Irish stew and here would do for our tourism industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thee number of narrow-minded stoners on this thread, distressed at the thought their next hashbinge in Amsterdam is now ruined, is truly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

But in an effort to reduce criminal behavior and tourism as a result of the drug policy

LOL Reducing criminal behaviour and tourism are two of the primary reasons a lot of heads around here give as great reasons to legalise cannabis in this country. Maybe they could finally learn a lesson from somewhere that has actually tried that experiment.
    If by that you mean the Christian Democratic [lol] government who passed this largely unpopular bill..

Who voted for them? Or did they seize power at the point of a gun? I love that perfectly logical line of reasoning that as soon as any democratically elected government anywhere passes a law you don't like they automatically become undemocratic in some people's eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Nice one, looks like they are getting a bit off sense at last.

The auld stoners will have to turn somewhere else it seems like.

Dutch seem to pissed off with them.

Portugal has far nicer weather and things are cheaper. I can buy more lovely green stuff from your very generous donation of Eurons, Flutt. What would we all do without you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Contemplating Aristotle

Yet more curtailments of our civil liberties, I do not agree with this, for the Netherlands should remain a bastion of tolerance for activities which those in other states outlaw and keep down because of their own false perceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Terry wrote: »
    I'm sure the locals love seeing tourists coming over and getting completely ****ed up on their streets.
    Much like we love the English in Temple Bar.

The ironic thing is if they cleaned up parts of Amsterdam and toned down or got rid of the open drug culture I'd return there, and I am sure there are plenty others. Having been there once I swore off returning because of the sheer sleazy nature of the places I ventured around in the city centre, as a tourist I can't remember the amount of times I was openly offered harder drugs (cocaine etc) on the street from passers by. It was like walking down the south quays in Dublin, except all the dodgy characters/druggies were trying to convince you to buy off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheDukeOfEarl

Yet more curtailments of our civil liberties, I do not agree with this, for the Netherlands should remain a bastion of tolerance for activities which those in other states outlaw and keep down because of their own false perceptions.

That is deep man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Cannabis is de facto legal in Spain while Portugal has the laxest drug laws in Europe. Oh and for anyone who really craves legality cannabis is 'legal' in Uruguay for posession. Apparently it will start being sold in shops soon enough. So I'm sure all those drug tourists will start flocking there soon enough :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

They'll be sorry when they see a huge drop in tourism if this bill does come in. Seriosuly, what are they thinking.

Show Time wrote: »
    That is my summer plans gone up in smoke.......

This is no laughing matter, what justifies one's exclusion from the activities in which those in other nation's partake? Do we condone such bigotry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

And what's with the attitude some people have that if someone smokes weed they immediately label them a stoner. I'm sure the people who generalise like this would not like to be called alcoholics because they drink alcohol. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I booked my flights 3 days ago, heard this on the radio this evening.

Purple Lemons is a very sad kittie :(

seanbmc wrote: »
    And what's with the attitude some people have that if someone smokes weed they immediately label them a stoner. I'm sure the people who generalise like this would not like to be called alcoholics because they drink alcohol. :rolleyes:

They have not accepted the reality of others inner needs, the joy that such items may bring to these peoples inner self. They discriminate against those who seek an alternative for they have refused to open their hearts to new pathways. To live life is to explore, and we should accept this fundamental right on the behalf of seekers everywhere, even if we ourselves are content in not seeking that self same path.

• Advertisement

I booked my flights 3 days ago, heard this on the radio this evening.

Purple Lemons is a very sad kittie :(

Do not feel down purple lemons, for tommorow may bring a new outlook, a day when the Dutch authorities decide that they have not enforced a truth, but a falsity, a false premise, one that will cost the city of Amsterdam. The people, the shopowners will protest at this move for they stand to lose so much. This law may very well go as soon as it came.

Advertisement