Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands to close Cannabis outlets to tourists.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Because you won't be able to buy it anywhere else;);):D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Old news OP. Been posted here several times.

Well crossing the border this evening there was a massive flashing sign with the web link on it :)

Heard it numerous times in the last 2 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya sounds like the same way there's no gambling in ireland except for members only.....

Dutch prime minister resigns over austerity measures & government collapsing over the last few days, can't see them cutting off this line of revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

A mate of mine works/lives in Groningen and heads to "The Dam" every weekend for a bit of partying and he reckons from speaking to the dutch out there that they are **** scared that this is gona really mess up the tourist industry. Alota people cant get their heads around why the goverment would wana stop people comin in and spending their money thus boosting their economy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

micropig wrote: »
    Dutch prime minister resigns over austerity measures & government collapsing over the last few days, can't see them cutting off this line of revenue

Well you will 'coz they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with an old thread on the same topic.

Conbhar wrote: »
    A mate of mine works/lives in Groningen and heads to "The Dam" every weekend for a bit of partying and he reckons from speaking to the dutch out there that they are **** scared that this is gona really mess up the tourist industry. Alota people cant get their heads around why the goverment would wana stop people comin in and spending their money thus boosting their economy!

In Groningen you get better deals on weed in way nicer coffeeshops, because your out of overpriced rip off Amsterdam. It has a big student population & a good night life, I'd much prefer it to Amsterdam

Well you will 'coz they are.

The mightn't be in government, It's before the courts, so not final yet....

Anyway won't affect me, I got me papers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Now is our chance, its time to replace cabbage with something more profitable.

• Advertisement

Now is our chance, its time to replace cabbage with something more profitable.

asparagus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

So weed is worse than prostitutes is it..

adds weight to my theory. Seems selling sex is fine whereas everything else needs to be cleaned up - am going to the middle east; they seem to be my kind of people. Was always more of a smoker than a drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The new rules will apply from 1 May 2012 in the provinces of Zeeland, North Brabant and Limburg.

It's OK I think I heard there's a new Zeeland so people will probably just head there

Sky King wrote: »
    It's OK I think I heard there's a new Zeeland so people will probably just head there

No need to go that far, I'll think you'll find it's tolerated in a lot of European countries

Link shows each country & their punishment & tolerance
    http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/legal-topic-overviews/cannabis-possession-for-personal-use#countries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

This'll just give the lads strolling around the red light district and Leidseplein selling drugs some extra business.
    Well done on dismantling the criminal aspects of drug-dealing, dumb-government types.

Portugal's a good spot for weed though. I was an hour off the plane and had the whispers into the ear from the stoner locals.

grindle wrote: »
    This'll just give the lads strolling around the red light district and Leidseplein selling drugs some extra business.
    Well done on dismantling the criminal aspects of drug-dealing, dumb-government types.

Portugal's a good spot for weed though. I was an hour off the plane and had the whispers into the ear from the stoner locals.

Not supposed to happen in the Leidseplein until 2013, but your right

Spain also good:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://www.new-rules.eu/newrules

No more party for non residents !

Will you still visit Amsterdam for the 'Culture' ?

Black propaganda site.
    Read between the lines on selective quotes from the site.........
    There will be no point in coming to the Netherlands for soft drugs.

Cannabis: not so harmless
    The use of cannabis is not as harmless as people think. There are risks associated with the use of soft drugs. Cannabis use can result in mental and physical health problems, and addiction. You can visit the following sites for more information on drug use and health risks or to get help.

Can you smell the agenda.

This is the current situation in Amsterdam ....
    Dutch coffee shop owners have gone to court to fight the introduction of a "cannabis card" next month to stop foreigners from buying the drug in the country, a court says.
    "A request for an interim application was heard before the court," said Saskia Panchoe, spokeswoman for The Hague district court where 19 coffee shop owners lodged their case against what they termed "discriminatory measures."

Judges will give a written decision on April 27, Panchoe said.

So I wouldn't believe that newrules website just yet.
    Ps. it looks like something somebody in transition year knocked together.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Nice one, looks like they are getting a bit off sense at last.

The auld stoners will have to turn somewhere else it seems like.

Dutch seem to pissed off with them.

I bet you're great at a party :o

I think it's a complete prick move that they would do this as coffee shop owners will make well under half what they did before, good job Holland :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

as far as i know its border towns like Roosendal,breda etc.maastricht closed there coffeeshops a couple years ago.sidenote ill be flying to Amsterdam on 17may,returning 20th.i know the city like the back of me hand,so if any boardsies who maybe Amsterdam virgins wanna meet up for a beer and a shmoke id be happy to meet up.just pm me or something.

as far as i know its border towns like Roosendal,breda etc.maastricht closed there coffeeshops a couple years ago.sidenote ill be flying to Amsterdam on 17may,returning 20th.i know the city like the back of me hand,so if any boardsies who maybe Amsterdam virgins wanna meet up for a beer and a shmoke id be happy to meet up.just pm me or something.

Untrue, was in some in that region recently. 1 wouldn't serve my OH because they had not a passport with them (we only went for a cycle;);)), they were very strict checking them and made OH stand outside:D:D (never bothered checking before)

Served me though

Around Limburg all's good, serving away

• Advertisement

Not supposed to happen in the Leidseplein until 2013, but your right

Spain also good:D

cannabis is all but legal in Portugal,for personal use off course!the Spanish seem to be following suit.the canary islands are particularly lax.its still legal to buy and sell in certain cantons in Switzerland.they sell it in little cloth bags called incense pillows lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kingdavid

my lad will be sick lol

kingdavid wrote: »
    my lad will be sick lol

:confused:

Untrue, was in some in that region recently. 1 wouldn't serve my OH because they had not a passport with them (we only went for a cycle;);)), they were very strict checking them and made OH stand outside:D:D (never bothered checking before)

Served me though

Around Limburg all's good, serving away

seriously??in Amsterdam!!!my last visit was early January,and biz was as per usual.is your oh blessed with youthful good looks???

seriously??in Amsterdam!!!my last visit was early January,and biz was as per usual.is your oh blessed with youthful good looks???

Not in Amsterdam, in the South of the country. Nothing to do with age. ..guy said there was a clamp down and they had to be stricter than they used to be could only serve/have in shop people with proper identification.

In it loads of times before and they never bothered, in it later in the week with id, no problem

I have a feeling one of the shops photocopied it but I won't say for certain my memory is a bit hazy on the finer details:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Is it just me or did anyone else read the thread title as 'Neanderthals to close Cannibal toilets to tortoises'?

ohh man I'm so ****ing high right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Then they'll just have to open a speakeasy won't they, it can be like in The Simpsons, where it turns from a bar into a pet store when the authorites come sniffing about. If anyone asks about the smell, just say it's the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

grindle wrote: »
    So if nobody is visiting the Netherlands anymore because of this change where is the extra business for street dealers?

They've experimented with legalisation
    Good point: Extra revenue from foreign tourists
    Bad point: Increased spending on police to control trouble-making from a few of the said tourists.

In this case I'm guessing the bad outweighed the good. The Dutch economy won't collapse because of this, unlike us they actually have more important industries, shipping, electronics, banking, etc.

People here should stop criticising the Dutch government and petition their own politicians at home if they feel so strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Flutt is no more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    So if nobody is visiting the Netherlands anymore because of this change where is the extra business for street dealers?

They've experimented with legalisation
    Good point: Extra revenue from foreign tourists
    Bad point: Increased spending on police to control trouble-making from a few of the said tourists.

In this case I'm guessing the bad outweighed the good. The Dutch economy won't collapse because of this, unlike us they actually have more important industries, shipping, electronics, banking, etc.

People here should stop criticising the Dutch government and petition their own politicians at home if they feel so strongly about it.

Also if you watch any documentaries or read books on the whole pot thing in Amsterdam you'll see that most of the LEGAL drugs are still being sourced from criminals. Mainly Turkish criminal gangs. I was in Amsterdam once, saw stoners smoking pot right by the train station I got into.

If you are actually sober there it's like a Zombie Apocalypse. And also for the people who are a bit snipey about oh well, where will they get their money now...they'll be alright, the Dutch seem to be hard working people and have started to get pretty advanced in the technology sector

Advertisement