Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands to close Cannabis outlets to tourists.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

This myth has been around for years. They'll never stop it, it'll kill their tourist industry.

simples

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    This myth has been around for years. They'll never stop it, it'll kill their tourist industry.

simples

Theres a lot of support for it.

Huge amount of it due to the cross border stuff between Belgium and Germany.

Travel to Venlo and see what its like, its a s*ithole, every time they've opened a cafe in the Train station it draws crack addicts.

I don't really care anyway, I live here and I don't even smoke weed :P

If your really into smoking though theres other places, Berlin for example, head to the Mauerpark on a Saturday and the place is rife with the smell of herb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Theres a lot of support for it.

Huge amount of it due to the cross border stuff between Belgium and Germany.

Travel to Venlo and see what its like, its a s*ithole, every time they've opened a cafe in the Train station it draws crack addicts.

I don't really care anyway, I live here and I don't even smoke weed :P

If your really into smoking though theres other places, Berlin for example, head to the Mauerpark on a Saturday and the place is rife with the smell of herb

A coffee shop in Venlo Train station, since when??:pac::pac: or do you mean a Cafe?

Here's me running a few streets over to Klein maar Fijn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If you are actually sober there it's like a Zombie Apocalypse.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's nonsense, the vast majority of people in Amsterdam don't smoke weed and are just going about their daily business. The red light isn't Amsterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    So if nobody is visiting the Netherlands anymore because of this change where is the extra business for street dealers?

I don't think it'll stop tourism. The locals might fear a decrease, and maybe there'll be a slight drop, but the clubs, street dealers and prostitutes are the biggest draw besides business visits.
    Street dealers'lll tack a fiver onto a bag of weed and that'll be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Berlin seemed to be full of little smoking areas the couple of times I've visited.

I remember sitting down in the bar at the back of Tacheles and literally 10 seconds later, "Hey Guys, you want to smoke some weed tonight?"

I love Berlin :)

micropig wrote: »
    A coffee shop in Venlo Train station, since when??:pac::pac: or do you mean a Cafe?

Here's me running a few streets over to Klein maar Fijn!!

Cafe :)

maximoose wrote: »
    Berlin seemed to be full of little smoking areas the couple of times I've visited.

I remember sitting down in the bar at the back of Tacheles and literally 10 seconds later, "Hey Guys, you want to smoke some weed tonight?"

I love Berlin :)

Also a few in Brussels if you know where to look;):D

If we believe the European Centre for Drugs ad Drug Addiction

Smoking cannabis use is prevalent in 6% of Adults in Ireland and only 5% in the Netherlands..Seems we're smoking it up more than the Dutch:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

They can't afford to ban it . Their tourist industry would be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

micropig wrote: »
    If we believe the European Centre for Drugs ad Drug Addiction

Smoking cannabis use is prevalent in 6% of Adults in Ireland and only 5% in the Netherlands..Seems we're smoking it up more than the Dutch:D

you can do things up until 3-4am in the netherlands, If I want a few drinks here at 1am on a wednesday im out of luck. If I want to buy cans at 11pm im out of luck. If I want a bag of weed at 3am - i have 4 people I can call

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

you can do things up until 3-4am in the netherlands, If I want a few drinks here at 1am on a wednesday im out of luck. If I want to buy cans at 11pm im out of luck. If I want a bag of weed at 3am - i have 4 people I can call

Eric - I think you should send me those 4 numbers.

Customs keep stopping my international orders which has forced me into the attic

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Eric - I think you should send me those 4 numbers.

Customs keep stopping my international orders which has forced me into the attic

Is that why you're spending all that time in your grow room attic?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    So if nobody is visiting the Netherlands anymore because of this change where is the extra business for street dealers?

They've experimented with legalisation
    Good point: Extra revenue from foreign tourists
    Bad point: Increased spending on police to control trouble-making from a few of the said tourists.

In this case I'm guessing the bad outweighed the good. The Dutch economy won't collapse because of this, unlike us they actually have more important industries, shipping, electronics, banking, etc.

People here should stop criticising the Dutch government and petition their own politicians at home if they feel so strongly about it.

I seriously doubt the dutch government have had to increase police spending due to giddy stoners in coffee shops now. Probably increased police presence of the red light districts, but this is just draconian, scare-tactic legislation IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think there'll be a devastating impact of Amsterdam's tourism. They will lose out on big events like the cannabis cup which would be a bit like Dublin losing St. Patrick's day. I'm sure they'll lose out on a few million but there's a lot that would still go for the whores, mostly lager louts, the tourist that they genuinely hate.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think there'll be a devastating impact of Amsterdam's tourism. They will lose out on big events like the cannabis cup which would be a bit like Dublin losing St. Patrick's day. I'm sure they'll lose out on a few million but there's a lot that would still go for the whores, mostly lager louts, the tourist that they genuinely hate.

Big event in the Netherlands happening this year. Bigger than the cannibas cup etc. Happens only once every 10 years. Nothing to to with drugs. 2 million people heading for that specifically. Anyone know what it is?

There's a lot more to Netherlands tourism than drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's not like that at all.
    Where did you drag that idea from?

Also if you watch any documentaries or read books on the whole pot thing in Amsterdam

Oh, now I see.

mikom wrote: »
    Where did you drag that idea from?

Oh, now I see.

They must have visted the day of the zombie walk
    :D

Got a bit confused:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It's nice and clean nowadays, but 6-7 years ago, it was a knacker(urban scumbag)-pocalypse going head to head with a homeless-pocalypse.
    Tag-teamed with a 'charliecharliecocaineheroinspeed'-pocalypse.
    But it's been well cleaned up. So now it's a nice-pocalypse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Also worth a second look.........

The Dutch government has announced that it does not have enough prisoners to fill its prisons, and as a result is closing down 8 prisons. Currently, the Netherlands has the capacity for 14,000 prisoners, but only has 12,000 people to fill those jails. The shutting down of these prisons are being attributed to an ever decreasing crime rate in the Netherlands.

The Netherland’s lenient drug laws and it’s related drop in crime each year is almost certainly making Dutch citizens’ wallets a little less tight, and the UK government could definitely take some notes out of the Netherlands’ rule book.

http://www.lifemeanshealth.com/health-videos/health-politics/netherlands-closing-8-prisons-due-to-plummeting-crime-rates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Today's the day the Dutch decide if the Irish will still be allowed to visit pot cafes. I have it on good authority that Ming is over there fighting our corner and telling them what big bullys Headmaster Kenny and Vice principal Gilmore are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Monkey, you're drunk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Monkey has just burnt his Ememergency stash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

He'll just have to go back to growing his own! ;)

ScumLord wrote: »

Nah man, Queens Day is their St Patricks day.

And if its Whoring your looking for Germany is the place to go apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascha_(brothel)
    The Pascha is a 12 storey 9,000 square metre brothel in Cologne, Germany. With about 120 prostitutes, over 80 employees and up to 1000 customers per day, it is the largest brothel in Europe.[1][2]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's plenty of bars in the Czech Republic, particularly in Prague, where you can walk in and just buy weed from behind the counter, no questions asked.

It's illegal but the laws on drug possession in the Czech Republic are very open so this kinda stuff flourishes. There's even several tourist bars that advertise the fact that you can buy weed there.

Prague could be the new Amsterdam and you'll also find that Czechs, in general, don't give a crap about what other people do with their lives, it's that person's business. A hangover from the Communist era is that personal freedom is very important to them, in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Nah man, Queens Day is their St Patricks day.

And if its Whoring your looking for Germany is the place to go apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascha_(brothel)
    The Pascha is a 12 storey 9,000 square metre brothel in Cologne, Germany. With about 120 prostitutes, over 80 employees and up to 1000 customers per day, it is the largest brothel in Europe.[1][2]

1000 ÷ 120 :(

Nasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Also worth a second look.........
    I don't think they are re-banning cannabis though, just changing the rules to stop people drifting in from all corners specifically for the purpose of drug use.

It should be legalised but it needs to be a Europe-wide initiative really.

Advertisement