Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festool, why so expensive?

• 27-05-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

As the title asks, I wonder why this brand is in the region of 300-500% more expensive than other decent brands?

Take a medium Router for example, say 1800w. You'll pick up a JCB, or DeWalt or Trend for maybe €250 (Ebay UK, new). The compare asimilar spec Festool on the same Ebay space.....€550+

why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

The prices are crazy alright but festool is the rolls royce of power tools and you'll always pay a premium. You'll get fellas buying it because it's so expensive, I call it tool snobbery. It's the same with mechanics and snap on gear.

Having said that I'm guilty of buying a few bits and pieces (in my defence nobody else done a track saw at the time, so I'm not a snob:D)and they are quality tools, really well engineered and they haven't let me down since I bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

great tools probably the best. i knew fellas that would buy them during the boom spend mad amounts of money and lug them around in vans and pull them around building sites, couldnt understand why wreck so fine machines. great tools if working in a workshop i think where they wouldnt be wrecked.
    festool power tools have to be sold at a fixed price from the manafacture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    festool power tools have to be sold at a fixed price from the manufacturer

Thats it in 1.

The Domino is the woofs genitals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

They are the best tools you can use. I'v always been a huge fan of dewalt but in the last while i'v bought the festool planer and the festool 1010 router and they are beasts to use. I used the planer non stop last July for two weeks solid rebating the back of architrave so it sat flat onto the wall & it never even blinked an eye at it. Best value for the royals Royce of woodwork tools and worth every single cent. They are dear but you can't compare them to anything else on the market. That's my two cents on why they are so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

They are the best tools you can use. I'v always been a huge fan of dewalt but in the last while i'v bought the festool planer and the festool 1010 router and they are beasts to use. I used the planer non stop last July for two weeks solid rebating the back of architrave so it sat flat onto the wall & it never even blinked an eye at it. Best value for the royals Royce of woodwork tools and worth every single cent. They are dear but you can't compare them to anything else on the market. That's my two cents on why they are so expensive.

Wouldn't a DeWalt or Trend router etc behave in exactly the same way ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Have you ever use a dewalt planer all day long? They are extremely heavy to use for any more than a few minutes at a time. The festool one is light you can use it all day and you won't have sore wrists like you would with a dewalt one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Have you ever use a dewalt planer all day long? They are extremely heavy to use for any more than a few minutes at a time. The festool one is light you can use it all day and you won't have sore wrists like you would with a dewalt one

Well what about routers?

What is the difference between DeWalt and Festool in terms of components used in the tools? What makes one tool 400% more expensive than the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I bought the saw on the sliding rails and it is just a pleasure to use. They aren't design with builders or carpenters in mind. They are design for cabinet maker, joiners and high end kitchen and shop fitters etc.

Once you buy a festool you will never buy anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

heffo500 wrote: »
    Once you buy a festool you will never buy anything else.

because u will be broke:D

Just kidding heffo:)

re the OP's ramblings:
    what makes a lamborghini x% more than a Lada or Skoda?.

Its the same answer

Advertisement