Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tranplanting Laurel hedge

Options
  • 27-05-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have been offered a 6 foot mature Laurel hedge for moving. Is it possible to move it at this time of year, will it survive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

In theory yes, but if logistics present no difficulty, worth attempting. Only possible providing you can remove a substantial rootball intact (mechanical digger required?). Obviously prepare the ground in advance for the new position and feed/water regularly.

In practice very difficult and during the growing season, there is considerable risk of loss to shock, dehydration etc.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theprisoner

Thanks for info very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Laural is a very quick grower.
    We brought single foot high plants for 4 euro each and 3 years later they are now 6ft high and nearly as wide! I think 3ft high ones can be had for 10 euros each

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I have been offered a 6 foot mature Laurel hedge for moving. Is it possible to move it at this time of year, will it survive.

If the laurel is in pots, you won't have any problems. Lifting out of the ground and transplanting at this time of year will very likely kill it. Better to wait until the plants are dormant.

Advertisement