Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Nexus S USB tether with Win7 problems

Options
  • 27-05-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Thought about posting this in the Android forum but it seems more related to Windows than Android.

This is an issue with drivers that is not urgent and will have no impact if left unresolved, so only read on if interested.

Specs:
    Dell Inspiron 1564
    Windows 7 x64
    Samsung Google Nexus S
    Android Gingerbread v2.3.4

Trying to get USB tethering on the Nexus S working with W7, but having problems.

So I plug the thing in and I get the expected "searching for drivers" dialog. It finds the drivers, but the install fails. I get an "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" error (see screenshot).

The error sounds like there's insufficient memory available, but I checked and it isn't that. Even killed a few processes to free some up, didn't help.

I remember with a much older Dell I couldn't get a virtual CD drive to work because Windows (XP at the time) could only host so many CD drives at a time. I got the same "insufficient resources" error then. Had to disable one of the CD drives in Device Manager to get the virtual one to work. I thought this might be related and that maybe W7 could only handle so many network adapters (the Nexus S is listed as a network adapter in Device Manager) at a time, so I disabled my WLAN and Ethernet but that didn't help either. Tried disabling some USB devices too, still nothing.

I've tried a restart, safe mode, re-installing the drivers and all that jazz also to no avail.

The obvious workaround is to just use the Android "Wi-Fi hotspot" feature instead of the tethering, but a fairly specific Google search for this turns up nothing like it, so I thought I might inquire as to whether anyone can shed any light on this for me, or for future searchers...

Advertisement