Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 problems

• 27-05-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, want a few opinions on this problem the girlfriend is having - maybe some of you have had similiar issues

She bought an iPhone 4 from O2 two days, pay as you go -€570. She got phone and found out immediately that the sound wasn't working. She brought it back and they said yeh the sound wasn't working - phone is faulty. Now O2 claim it has nothing to do with them and that she must contact Apple and they'll send a box out for she to stick the phone in, she then has to send it off for repairs.

Now she rang apple and they said the shop should give a refund or replacement as the phone is clearly faulty. Its clear that O2 are in breach of the Sale of Goods and Services Act as they provided the faulty product. The consumers affairs web site even states that the retailor and not the manufactor should deal with this problem

Opinions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Sale of goods states that if a fault occurs within the first six months that it must have been there from the beginning, I would push O2 for a replacement or refund as this was a faulty piece of kit from the start. Just remember that your GF contract is with O2 not Apple.

Be firm not aggressive !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Sale of goods states that if a fault occurs within the first six months that it must have been there from the beginning, I would push O2 for a replacement or refund as this was a faulty piece of kit from the start. Just remember that your GF contract is with O2 not Apple.

I wish it was me with the faulty phone (mine works fine :D) as I know i'd be able to stand up to them. But the lads in the shop obviously know they can sort of be aggressive about the whole thing with my girlfriend and she'll back down y'know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

while you are entitled to get O2 to sort this out for you ... you'd be better off dealing with Apple. You'll get sorted quicker and that is generally why O2 will ask you to deal with Apple directly.

Apples customer care is one of the better out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 hi.im.fred

bring it back. its o2's responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Agent_99 wrote: »

No it doesn't!!

Please provide a reference to where it says that in the Act.
    The SoGASA in this jurisdiction does not state, presume or imply anything of the the sort.

You're only entitled to the same 3'Rs (repair, replace, refund) regardless of a fault was lurking there since the beginning or occurred 7 months later.

The vendor, O2, is responsible for sorting this out, but they are quite entitled to offer a any of the 3 options at their discretion, so they'll likely just pack it off the Apple for repair under warranty. You are entitled to refuse and negotiate whichever option you prefer but remember they're under no obligation to give you the one you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I wish it was me with the faulty phone (mine works fine :D) as I know i'd be able to stand up to them. But the lads in the shop obviously know they can sort of be aggressive about the whole thing with my girlfriend and she'll back down y'know?
    You should go into the shop with her and see if their attitude changes.
    whippet wrote: »
    while you are entitled to get O2 to sort this out for you ... you'd be better off dealing with Apple. You'll get sorted quicker and that is generally why O2 will ask you to deal with Apple directly.

Apples customer care is one of the better out there
    Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't apple customer care tell the girlfriend she should deal with o2 who should give a replacement or refund?
    Now she rang apple and they said the shop should give a refund or replacement as the phone is clearly faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Your right that O2 is the vendor and should deal with it, but deal with Apple. Its pretty much the same thing. If you ask O2 to repair, they'll send it to Apple anyway. Apple are very friendly and the customer support is second to none. They send you a UPS bag which you send back by UPS. Takes at most 10 working days, I've done it 4 times and each took less than a working week.

Don't waste your time dealing with O2, just ring Apple. Second to none service.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Your right that O2 is the vendor and should deal with it, but deal with Apple. Its pretty much the same thing. If you ask O2 to repair, they'll send it to Apple anyway. Apple are very friendly and the customer support is second to none. They send you a UPS bag which you send back by UPS. Takes at most 10 working days, I've done it 4 times and each took less than a working week.

If you don't deal with O2 then you could make things a bit more difficult if the same problem recurred after the warranty expired.

You see, if a repair is not permanent you have a much stronger case for getting a refund or replacement instead of the usual repair. However by by-passing O2 and going directly to Apple, O2 would be well in their rights to treat this as the first occurrence and it would be reasonable of them to offer only a repair.

It might be better to allow O2 tell you to send to Apple, but make sure you inform O2 (preferably in writing) that you are doing it under their instruction and you consider them responsible for the repair. That will cover your rear-end if the phone goes pear-shaped again.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If you don't deal with O2 then you could make things a bit more difficult if the same problem recurred after the warranty expired.

You see, if a repair is not permanent you have a much stronger case for getting a refund or replacement instead of the usual repair. However by by-passing O2 and going directly to Apple, O2 would be well in their rights to treat this as the first occurrence and it would be reasonable of them to offer only a repair.

It might be better to allow O2 tell you to send to Apple, but make sure you inform O2 (preferably in writing) that you are doing it under their instruction and you consider them responsible for the repair. That will cover your rear-end if the phone goes pear-shaped again.

With respect you don't seem to have much idea what your talking about especially when it comes to Apple. Apple offer a 12 months warranty on all their iPhones independent of provider. O2 will just send the phone to Apple to be repaired regardless. If you really must know, the repair centre is in the UK.

In fact if you send the iPhone to Apple, they will take it upon themselves to ensure the O2 system is updated with the replacement serial numbers etc. There is a reason iPhones are only available on certain carriers, its because they sign exclusive deals that also cover the warranty / repair aspects.

If the warranty expires (In a years time from purchase) you won't be covered by O2 or Apple regardless. However Apple will undertake any repair required and if its a known fault, normally for free.

OP take it from someone who has dealt for nigh 4 years with iPhones both on O2 and sim free, you are just wasting time by citing the consumer act and writing letters. Ring Apple. You will not regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

With respect you don't seem to have much idea what your talking about especially when it comes to Apple. Apple offer a 12 months warranty on all their iPhones independent of provider. O2 will just send the phone to Apple to be repaired regardless. If you really must know, the repair centre is in the UK.

In fact if you send the iPhone to Apple, they will take it upon themselves to ensure the O2 system is updated with the replacement serial numbers etc. There is a reason iPhones are only available on certain carriers, its because they sign exclusive deals that also cover the warranty / repair aspects.

If the warranty expires (In a years time from purchase) you won't be covered by O2 or Apple regardless. However Apple will undertake any repair required and if its a known fault, normally for free.

OP take it from someone who has dealt for nigh 4 years with iPhones both on O2 and sim free, you are just wasting time by citing the consumer act and writing letters. Ring Apple. You will not regret it.

the highlighted piece. i have firm reason to dissagree with this. i purchased the iphone4 the day it came out here. one month later i had issues with it. went to o2, and they told me it would have to be sent to apple, told me i could do it through them, or do it myself - which as they told me is significantly quicker.

newho apple sent me a new phone. grand job. thought nothing of it. two months ago i wanted to get the unlock from o2 so i could port over. contacted them and they asked for imei. gave it to them and they say that is not the imei they have on record. they still had the old one that i had sent back to apple on record which i had not had since august! (coulda been some issues if i had lost/had phone stolen but...). so apple DID NOT send them the new numbers.

• Advertisement

Apple would have sent you an email when they returned the phone, something along the lines of "Old IMEI and your new IMEI" in addition to the serial numbers. Bring that email to any O2 shop or ring Apple. Its an easy fix.

With respect, after that statement, it's clear it's you who doesn't know what he's talking about. 12 month warranty is all well and good while it lasts, but don't forget your rights under the Sale of Goods and Services Act. Those rights supersede and extend long past any 12 month warranty period and can only be realised through the retailer (O2) alone, not Apple.
    Will Apple repair or replace your iPhone after the 12 months is up?
    I seriously doubt it other wise it wouldn't be a 12 month warranty?

O2 on the other hand must legally continue to provide protection for the reasonable lifetime of the product, which I think most people will agree is a lot longer than 12mths.

Now, going directly to Apple as you suggest is not going to reduce O2's obligations to you even during or after the warranty, but what could happen is that you may not have sufficient grounds for a refund/replacement if the original repair was not permanent, i.e. you'd have to allow O2 repair it again should it occur outside the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Apple would have sent you an email when they returned the phone, something along the lines of "Old IMEI and your new IMEI" in addition to the serial numbers. Bring that email to any O2 shop or ring Apple. Its an easy fix.

ah sure it was no bothers in the end. i had originally txt for the unlock code, got a txt back saying they didn't recongnise the imei, so rang customer care, your wan just said that isn't the imei we have on file, have you had any reason to replace your phone. i said yup. explained meself. she took new imei, put me on hold for 2 mins, rang apple to confirm, came back and said everything was ok and she would txt my unlock code within a week. half hour later she txted it. no bothers at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Looks like you shouldn't be wasting your time with an iPhone if they break down that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭skinny90

this thread is crazy...o2 are 100% responsible especially if the phone is faulty on the day of purchase. it was reported to o2 within a a day (which is very reasonable)of purchase they should have the facility of exchanging faulty goods within a certain period.basically your saying you've giving o2 500 odd euro and their not doing anything at all.fair is fair if you have a problem a couple months down the lines they can send it away blah blah blah.....but one day after you purchased it.....crazy especially if their admittin to it

Advertisement