Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert weight

• 28-05-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

So it's common knowledge that most of us put on weight during 6th year, but how much have you put on? Honestly now :P

I've put on 6 pounds only cause I was sick at the start of the year :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ghillie2k4

bulked up ( muscle ) 10 pounds , lost 5 pounds of fat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Is that common knowledge? I've heard that for the first year of college (living on fast food+alcohol) but never 6th year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I've actually lost weight the last few months :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is this to do with the usual age people are at LC or something related to lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Lost a stone in a month and can't get any weight back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

magicianz wrote: »
    So it's common knowledge that most of us put on weight during 6th year, but how much have you put on? Honestly now :P

I've put on 6 pounds only cause I was sick at the start of the year :P

ye bro i was 87kgs, a gym freak and i was playing leinster schools... but i got dropped as i was too tired to go training after evening study....lost alot of muscle mass i am now 70kgs ... put on a lot of fat..... but as i havent been working out when i go back i get noob gains :D and my mom bought me a load of new supplements as a reward for doing the lc...:D so its not really that bad ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

about a stone since september. mainly due to injury though preventing me from playing sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I've kept sport up once or twice a week (BJJ) as per guidance advice. I'm feeling more tired around now though.

I've a high metabolism and have probably been eating slightly less so if anything i've dropped down to 63/64 KG from 67/68 which isn't much at all. I compete at 63/64KG so it's good in that respect.

Not sure how much will be floating around boards after today considering recent events , so best of luck to all if i do not make it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

njd2010 wrote: »
    Is that common knowledge? I've heard that for the first year of college (living on fast food+alcohol) but never 6th year...

TRUE! You eat more shoite, and your drinking more than you did in LC, so there is a huge soar in the average amount of calories your consume and you get fat. prepare for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

From September I (along with loads of my friends) have put on so much weight..! We're all girls so I think that makes a difference?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Lost weight last year while doing the leaving, just so focused, not a sporty person always did my best at pe and doing a bit at home for breaks, all worked out well in college so i'm happy :D.
    In U.L, but staying at home so don't take much notice of students putting on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Yous have TIME to eat????

I joke, I joke.
    But seriously, I eat the same about as I always have, with the amount of stairs in my school the weight has stayed down.

I couldn't train for four months last year, so I lost weight from not training... Put it all back on in the last few months :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

In 5th year but most of my friends seem to have lost weight, I suppose it's all down to weather or not you eat or not under pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Thanks to the Leaving Cert I started in September a skinny size 8 and am now struggling to get into a size 12 :(
    But hey, I like to look on the bright side of life = a whole new wardrobe needed!
    And I've actually grown to like my fuller figure, but I will back exercising in 3weeks, thank god! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

why would anyone put on weight during 6th year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I put on a bit of weight alright. For me, eating rubbishy food is the response to very stressful situations. Also, in 6th year in my school, you get the freedom to go to the shop at break. Hence, the over-consumption of chicken rolls and 3-in-1s:P

After the leaving cert, I plan on losing it again, and some.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Well since fifth year started i've lost aboot 6 pounds :P I wasn't stressed or anything :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I'm eating lots of chocolate and stuff... cos i feel i deserve it! Grrr... I've lost a few stone since this time last year... but since easter I've been going backwards a bit. planning to play basketball every day during the summer all day long, lose the study belly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I weigh two pounds less than i did last summer, so pretty static. i go running a couple of times a week so it helps me stay thin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dynamot wrote: »
    why would anyone put on weight during 6th year?

I can't say I buy some of the reasons people are giving here. Many students are reaching their adult size/weight at 17/18.
    You could just as validly say 'What is it about 3rd class that they all grow a few inches in height?'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I've put on weight, well i've gotten fatter :( my weight is about the same but thats cos i used to have muscle lost that and got fat. I've torn muscles in my shoulder so i'm not allowed to play sport so I blame that, anyways i'm getting injections to fix that next week and then after I celebrate on the 24th and 25th of june i'm hitting the gaa pitch :) have to say luckily i've had a second growing spurt this year so thats proportioned some weight i've gained :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

Since the start of 6th year Iv put on just about a stone!:( have to loose it for the debs though! :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Gercakeage wrote: »
    Since the start of 6th year Iv put on just about a stone!:( have to loose it for the debs though! :eek::)

same, i'll be waiting a while to buy my dress so i don't look like a pregnant whale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

xclw wrote: »
    same, i'll be waiting a while to buy my dress so i don't look like a pregnant whale

haha :pac: 20 days till 'tone up time' :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Gercakeage wrote: »
    haha :pac: 20 days till 'tone up time' :o

You say that now but when you finish all you'll wanna do is chill out and go out. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I started the year at about 121/122 punnds and I'm now 131/132!! :eek:

In TY I was 165 (I'm a girl @ 5'4"!!) but got down to 120 reeeeeeally quick (not a good idea guys fyi!) and don't want it creeping back up on me! :cool:

Planning on getting down to 115-120 during the summer. I feel so disgustingly huge at the moment its not even funny :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

njd2010 wrote: »

I'm repeating having left college at the start of the year.
    This may be true for people with a lot of funds. However,six weeks of college I lost about a stone. Money was spent purely on drink. 2 days a week I generally didn't eat and dinner was often a packet of Haribo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

UrbanSea wrote: »
    However,six weeks of college I lost about a stone. Money was spent purely on drink. 2 days a week I generally didn't eat and dinner was often a packet of Haribo.

Drink always comes before food :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I always thought people were supposed to lose weight with the stress of the exams or something. :p

But I don't really weigh myself very often...so I actually couldn't tell you whether I've gone up or down in weight. I'd say it's pretty much around the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I always thought people were supposed to lose weight with the stress of the exams or something. :p

Some people eat loads when stressed, some people eat nothing.. I'd say both are mainly a girl thing and that weight change with lads is due to less sport etc..! Though I could be wrong!

Advertisement